Wisconsin house republicans force vote.

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 7:37 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110225/ap_ ... get_unions

Quote:
Debate had gone on for 60 hours and 15 Democrats were still waiting to speak when the vote started around 1 a.m. Friday. Speaker Pro Tem Bill Kramer, R-Waukesha, opened the roll and closed it within seconds.

Democrats looked around, bewildered. Only 13 of the 38 Democratic members managed to vote in time.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 9:52 am

Well.. that sounds fair
Good luck to the protesters 8)

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 11:10 am

As if we needed more proof, America is no longer a democracy.

We are a one party state, mostly corporatocracy working under the banner of the Republican Party.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 12:50 pm

Really at this point I think the Republicans have gotten to the conclusion if the Democrats are going to behave like toddlers they are going to be treated as such. 1 AM is way past the bed time for any 2 year old. :lol:

Also the debate was taken after 3 straight days of debate:

The vote on Friday morning ended three straight days of punishing debate in the Assembly. But Democrats in that chamber are crying foul because they say the proper procedure to cut debate wasn't followed. Assembly Democratic leaders are now considering whether to challenge the vote.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02 ... nti-union/

So its not like the Democrats didn't have a chance to voice their opinions.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Feb 2011, 3:49 pm

The dems were just stalling, they had sufficient enough time to debate. Could you imagine if it was the Tea Party acting this way?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 4:39 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The dems were just stalling, they had sufficient enough time to debate. Could you imagine if it was the Tea Party acting this way?

Yeah actually I can, they would probably be called violent and hateful, blah blah blah....

And it wouldn't take much imagination either, just look at the mainstream media's track record.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 4:53 pm

Jacoby wrote:

They were using the filibuster, if I understand correctly. I thought Republicans loved the filibuster?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:29 pm

Orwell wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

They were using the filibuster, if I understand correctly. I thought Republicans loved the filibuster?

Uh there is no filibuster in a state assembly and/or the US House of Representatives. Traditionally a filibuster is seen in the Senate whether it is state or Federal.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:36 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Uh there is no filibuster in a state assembly and/or the US House of Representatives. Traditionally a filibuster is seen in the Senate whether it is state or Federal.

The exact procedure likely varies from state to state, and I am not familiar with the details of the Wisconsin state government, but the article indicated that the Democrats were filibustering. But the real point here is that you want to cry obstructionism when the other side blocks your agenda, but not when it goes the other way.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Feb 2011, 5:41 pm

Orwell wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

The GOP allowed them to debate this a few days. As far as I know they could of ended debate days ago if they wanted too. They have a supermajority in the state assembly.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:44 pm

Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

The exact procedure likely varies from state to state, and I am not familiar with the details of the Wisconsin state government, but the article indicated that the Democrats were filibustering. But the real point here is that you want to cry obstructionism when the other side blocks your agenda, but not when it goes the other way.

Riiigghhttt....

Show me where filibuster is in the state assembly rules?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 9:49 pm

As I said, I'm not familiar with how Wisconsin's state legislature is set up. I am only going off the claim of the article that they were filibustering.

The broader point was that Republicans have been very ardent users of every conceivable delaying tactic for the past several years, and yet when the situation is turned around and someone tries to stall their agenda, they throw a fit. It is hypocritical.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 12:32 am

Orwell wrote:
As I said, I'm not familiar with how Wisconsin's state legislature is set up. I am only going off the claim of the article that they were filibustering.

The broader point was that Republicans have been very ardent users of every conceivable delaying tactic for the past several years, and yet when the situation is turned around and someone tries to stall their agenda, they throw a fit. It is hypocritical.

Uh they didn't throw a fit they had the votes to pass it, and decided to pass it, the Dems didn't like it whatever, we now know who supports a money laundering scheme (Democrats)and who doesn't (Republicans).

ducky9924
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2011, 2:20 am

a) A "couple days" is a very short timeline for major budget changes. Stuff like this is generally given much more time.

b) Don't assume that Winsconsin's failings mean that America is no longer democractic. A single part does not define the whole. (True story, the US didn't start out democratic, it was a republic. Our founding fathers hated the idea of democracy. It has however over the generations become more and more democratic in nature as the people have demanded.)

c)More fun facts: The unions conceded on every point, but the Governor is still insisting that they give up their collective bargaining power. Thats what this protest is over. Not the budget itself.

d) Anyone else amused people are so upset the Governor is doing what he promised to do during the election? Protip: Know who you're voting for!

e) What money laundering sceme? what are you talking about?

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 1:28 pm

ducky9924 wrote:
a) A "couple days" is a very short timeline for major budget changes. Stuff like this is generally given much more time.
That was the plan.

Quote:
b) Don't assume that Winsconsin's failings mean that America is no longer democractic. A single part does not define the whole. (True story, the US didn't start out democratic, it was a republic. Our founding fathers hated the idea of democracy. It has however over the generations become more and more democratic in nature as the people have demanded.)
True.

Quote:
c)More fun facts: The unions conceded on every point, but the Governor is still insisting that they give up their collective bargaining power. Thats what this protest is over. Not the budget itself.
And that was Walker's plan all along; use the budget crisis as a reason to attack the unions. (Brought to you by the Koch brothers)

Quote:
d) Anyone else amused people are so upset the Governor is doing what he promised to do during the election? Protip: Know who you're voting for!
Actually Walker didn't campaign on attacking the unions, nor did he ever mention what he would do with the state unions during his campaign.

Quote:
More radical right-wing conspiracy nonsense.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 1:35 pm

ducky9924 wrote:

Okay, we're talking about dealing with a shortfall, they didn't pass the whole budget also there is a Constitutional Amendment in Wisconsin that the budget has to be balanced.

ducky9924 wrote:

We are still a Constitutional Republic, and Wisconsin is not a tyranny. The reason the Union is really so angry is because their money laundering scheme has been derailed.

Money appropriated by politicians goes to union employees whom pay dues to big labor whom in turn donate campaign money for Democrat Campaigns. There is absolutely no one until now looking out for the tax payers. The Democrats had a financial interest in getting the union members as many perks and as much money as possible. You can't have unions running both sides of the negotiating table.

ducky9924]c)More fun facts: The unions conceded on every point, but the Governor is still insisting that they give up their collective bargaining power. Thats what this protest is over. Not the budget itself.[/quote]

Some of their bargaining power, not all of it.

[quote="ducky9924 wrote:

Well that's funny because it looks like as this drags on the Governor is getting more popular.

ducky9924 wrote:

http://www.wlsam.com/article.asp?id=2119601&SPID=37725

A picture is worth a thousand words.