Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jan 2009, 6:11 pm

John Travolta's son dies in Bahamas

Quote:
NASSAU (Reuters) - The teenage son of actor John Travolta died suddenly on Friday during a family vacation in the Bahamas, according to the family's lawyer.

Jett Travolta, 16, suffered a seizure at his family's vacation home at the Old Bahama Bay Hotel on Grand Bahama Island, attorney Michael Ossi said......

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 6:44 pm

Maybe he'll be able to use scientology techniques to bring his son back to life.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 6:59 pm

He was the autistic one, right?

Even if he wasn't, he died because he had epilepsy and wasn't taking his medication. Yet another death that can be attributed to Scientology.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 7:05 pm

Death of a son topic

Gee! I had no idea John's son was autistic, or had epilepsy. I did not know someone could actually die from this condition, unless some other factor was involved. :(

I hope scientology had nothing to do with it. My son just turned 17, but has no health issues and is not into strange cults.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 7:06 pm

That's sad, John Travolta's a nice guy - I have friends who've performed with him.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 7:09 pm

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
Maybe he'll be able to use scientology techniques to bring his son back to life.

Sorry ... it's too late for an audit.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Relyt22
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jan 2009, 7:13 pm

I see someone has already beaten me to it.

I think this NY Post article does a good job on describing the incident, as far: http://www.nypost.com/seven/01022009/ne ... 146914.htm

Quote:
According to Travolta and his wife Kelly Preston, Jett had long suffered from Kawasaki disease - a rare condition said to be caused by chemical contaminants -- but many had criticized the couple for refusing to acknowledge that the boy was autistic because of his belief in Scientology.

In 2007, one of Travolta's Florida neighbors, whose son is autistic, said he was shocked that the movie star could let his belief stand in the way of helping the boy.

"They see it as a weakness. That's what the space aliens are telling him I guess," Tim Kenny told Hollywoodinterrupted.com after approaching Travolta as "one autictic father to another."

"Scientology is keeping him from acknowledging his son's autism. They see it as a weakness," he said.

In Scientology mental illness is viewed as a weakness, that can be treated through hard work rather than through medicine.

For years, Travolta has hidden his son's autism, and has denied claims that his son has autism. Scientologists don't believe autism exists, but rather the symptoms are just a "sign of weakness", which can only be treated through Scientology auditing and their quack medicine.

He may have had epilepsy, or something else that caused the seizures, but nothing has been confirmed, yet. If they knew he was suffering from something and refused to get proper medical attention or advice from a real expert (instead of some nut who works at the CCHR), then this is his parents' own fault.

Here's a picture of his mom at an Anti-Psychiatry rally, one of the many held by Scientologists: Image

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 7:29 pm

Delirium wrote:
He was the autistic one, right?

Even if he wasn't, he died because he had epilepsy and wasn't taking his medication. Yet another death that can be attributed to Scientology.

Yes, Jett Travolta died, he was autistic and had epilepsy. I was just thinking myself, given his fathers involvement in Scientology, that Jett might not have been taking antiseizure medication. They might have tried the Ketogenic diet, a way of treating epilepsy without pills. I want to hear more about this story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

Relyt22

02 Jan 2009, 8:12 pm

Look up "Tory Christman" or "Tory Magoo" (www.torymagoo.com). Tory is an Ex-Scientologist of 30 years. She was on epileptic medication, in which she was told to get off of by other Scientologists. Her mother told her to get back on her medications, because she was worried about her daughter, and how these people preferred to treat her. It wasn't until she had a seizure and hit her head on the bathtub, that she decided she would secretly get back on her meds, but she was still in Scientology for a long time before finally leaving in late 2000.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 9:33 pm

Actually, the family denied that he was on the autism spectrum; they believed he had Kawaski Syndrome. Wasn't John Travolta the one who did "Normal People Scare Me?" So he'd most likely believe in the existence of autism.

Really, it's a shame that everyone rushes up to judging. The family would know him best, and being part of a religion doesn't mean you have to follow every word of it, especially about medication.

Three years!

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 11:42 pm

RainSong wrote:
Actually, the family denied that he was on the autism spectrum; they believed he had Kawaski Syndrome. Wasn't John Travolta the one who did "Normal People Scare Me?" So he'd most likely believe in the existence of autism.

Really, it's a shame that everyone rushes up to judging. The family would know him best, and being part of a religion doesn't mean you have to follow every word of it, especially about medication.

It was Joey Travolta that produced "Normal People Scare Me". Here is his interview on WP...

http://www.wrongplanet.net/article328.html

Also, Kawasaki Syndrome and autism commonly co-occur, so there is probably no point debating which he had, Jett likely had both autism and Kawasaki.

"Autism is also co-morbid with Kawasaki's disease [a relatively rare phenotype whose etiology is ill-understood and that probably relies on an unknown pathogen; similar to autism, it affects male individuals significantly more frequently than females" from - "Probing genetic overlap among complex human phenotypes"

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 11:48 pm

Quote:
Wasn't John Travolta the one who did "Normal People Scare Me?" So he'd most likely believe in the existence of autism.

That was Joey Travolta

kaytie
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jan 2009, 12:12 am

i feel sorry for them...it's so sad, he was very young

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 12:25 am

RainSong wrote:

A young man is dead and it is right for people to ask what role Scientology practices may have had in his death. Scientology is a cult with a history unusual deaths and by most accounts is massively oppressive.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 2:32 am

Quote:

shouldn't they be in trouble for not giving their son the medication??

Relyt22

03 Jan 2009, 3:33 am

Jeremy Perkins stopped taking his medication because of his family's involvement in Scientology. His schizophrenia drove him to stab his own mother 77 times to death.

The question is not that Scientology directly caused Jett's death, but rather that the teachings of Scientology may have prevented treatment of whatever condition he had. And I doubt it was Kawasaki Syndrome. It was most likely epilepsy, but I'm not a doctor nor an expert in any way.