Delivery driver throws flat screen TV

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 5:51 am

http://tv.yahoo.com/daytime/delivery-dr ... 51996.html

Lazy Fed ex guy just tossed it over the fence.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 6:15 am

If I had been the one who ordered that TV, there would have definitely been hell to pay.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 1:18 pm

I bet if they hired more people things like that wouldn't happen. Gotta think about the stock!

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 4:35 pm

It makes me wonder if he could get past the fence and just got fed up?

That's why I have things delivered at work if I can.

MsMarginalized
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 9:41 pm

The fedex guy was just WRONG...but do y'all know about how they HIRE fedex deliverers?

It's REALLY crappy! A person has to BUY a route. A truck. Their uniforms. The graphics for the truck & maintenance ALL at fedex approved sites (which translates out to FROM FEDEX). The routes go for between $25K & $65K and there ain't no such a thing as sick time!

The drivers are told WHEN they are to be at the hub to pick up their load (which I think THEY have to load into their truck) and WHEN they have to start their route/by what time they should be done.

There are actually a few lawsuits against fedex because the company is saying that the route drivers are independent contractors....WTF, after all that "direction" & contractual obligations I listed above? NO way, those poor schmucks are indentured servants (they get paid by the # of items delivered & fedex WILL dick with the schedule of anyone that they feel needs some "adjustment")

The whole thing just SUCKS....but having said that, the dude that tossed the package over the fence does need to be fired.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 9:50 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViInV_raeXk[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 10:27 pm

And it's these people who are supposed to take over the mail from the Post Office?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 11:45 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
And it's these people who are supposed to take over the mail from the Post Office?

You want I should dig up some post office horror stories?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 11:53 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You want I should dig up some post office horror stories?

When I was working in a sheet metal shop, the lady in charge of shipping and receiving maintained that the most reliable delivery service was still the US Mail.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 12:26 am

These videos aren't very shocking to me. Everyone would be shocked to hear what goes on in these places where customers can't see what happens.

I worked at UPS and boxes were thrown constantly thrown while loading, unloading, and sorting.

They'd tear open and the contents would spill all over the conveyor belts, and contents would get kicked around or smashed even more by other falling packages. Worst thing was boxes of fasteners, because the boxes weren't designed to hold them in correctly. Listening to them cascade down a 20 ft metal slide onto a belt sounds exactly like a strong downpour.

I've loaded trucks many times where I'd put a box on top of another that wasn't mean to support that much weight and the bottom box would get crushed. Sometimes it would happen when an entire wall of boxes was built and this 8x10ft wall of boxes would come crashing on me, and I would punch the boxes out of the way, because when it's me or the box, it's going to be the box.

While pushing rollers out of a truck, I'll notice that the rollers are extremely resistant to me pushing it forward, only to realize at the end that a package was stuck underneath one of the wheels and looked like road kill.

I unloaded a box that had human s*** on it, and my first reaction was to throw it. It went 20 feet and left like a 10 foot skid mark on the floor.

Then there's loading drop frame trailers, where you have to load the bottom before loading the top. As you went you had to close the wooden flaps, which was your floor after you were done on the bottom. Sometimes, you over filled the bottom and those flaps don't stay flat, so you have to jump on the flap to smash the boxes in so you don't wind up tripping on it.

I could go on, but I'll stop there. A lot of these things don't have to happen. They go on because of company policy regarding efficiency.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 12:33 am

snapcap wrote:
These videos aren't very shocking to me. Everyone would be shocked to hear what goes on in these places where customers can't see what happens.

I worked at UPS and boxes were thrown constantly thrown while loading, unloading, and sorting.

They'd tear open and the contents would spill all over the conveyor belts, and contents would get kicked around or smashed even more by other falling packages. Worst thing was boxes of fasteners, because the boxes weren't designed to hold them in correctly. Listening to them cascade down a 20 ft metal slide onto a belt sounds exactly like a strong downpour.

I've loaded trucks many times where I'd put a box on top of another that wasn't mean to support that much weight and the bottom box would get crushed. Sometimes it would happen when an entire wall of boxes was built and this 8x10ft wall of boxes would come crashing on me, and I would punch the boxes out of the way, because when it's me or the box, it's going to be the box.

While pushing rollers out of a truck, I'll notice that the rollers are extremely resistant to me pushing it forward, only to realize at the end that a package was stuck underneath one of the wheels and looked like road kill.

I unloaded a box that had human s*** on it, and my first reaction was to throw it. It went 20 feet and left like a 10 foot skid mark on the floor.

Then there's loading drop frame trailers, where you have to load the bottom before loading the top. As you went you had to close the wooden flaps, which was your floor after you were done on the bottom. Sometimes, you over filled the bottom and those flaps don't stay flat, so you have to jump on the flap to smash the boxes in so you don't wind up tripping on it.

I could go on, but I'll stop there. A lot of these things don't have to happen. They go on because of company policy regarding efficiency.

That's very keeping with what the lady in charge of shipping and receiving had said at where I used to work.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 3:13 am

My husband ordered a cup online and when it arrived, it arrived in two pieces. My husband had to ask for a replacement and he sent it back.
I wonder if the package got thrown?

Let's hope there was nothing fragile in the package the UPS guy tossed on the ground.

snapcap wrote:
I bet if they hired more people things like that wouldn't happen. Gotta think about the stock!

You make it sound like it was acceptable.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 1:41 pm

League_Girl wrote:
My husband ordered a cup online and when it arrived, it arrived in two pieces. My husband had to ask for a replacement and he sent it back.
I wonder if the package got thrown?

Let's hope there was nothing fragile in the package the UPS guy tossed on the ground.

snapcap wrote:

You make it sound like it was acceptable.

I don't see how you got that out of that comment. You have to understand the stress a delivery guy is under constantly, and especially during peak season. If they had more people to cover the routes, they wouldn't be in a hurry and stressed as much. But they won't because "that's logistics"

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 1:52 pm

Yeah it's strange quite a few delivery related jobs are Independent Contractor positions yet you are often treated as an employee.

I have commercial driving experience and even looking at a job like Menards their yard delivery guy owns the Menards truck as a 1099 Independent Contractor.

I can kind of sympathize with the guy..... to a point. But lugging a flat screen TV like that is still crazy.

Of course what I don't know is if the issue was with FedEx or if that customer was being an as*hole.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 3:51 pm

^^ It doesn't matter though.

The delivery man might have been cheated on by his wife the night before, unfairly ticketed by the cops, yelled at by his boss for being 30 seconds late that morning, bit by the home owners dog last time he made a delivery at that same house, home owner's spouse (who did not approve of the TV purchase) might have refused the box and slammed the door in his face, at which point he threw it over the fence.

None of that matters because as far as the World is concerned he threw an expensive and fragile parcel over a fence. That's it. That's what's happened. And he will be disciplined, maybe even fired.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 4:32 pm

If that was my TV, that company wouldn't hear the end of it.