Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 2:57 am

crazy weather for the past 3 weeks or so here in the UK, just seems to have not stopped raining for a long time which has now meant much of the country is on flood alert. High winds haven't helped things either but mainly it is just flooded in a lot of areas and it is not easy to drive around with bridges and roads closed.

Hear things are getting a little chilly over in the U.S too!

Let us know what it is like where you are, with pics if you have any!

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 9:17 am

Lately it's been -20 degrees fahrenheit and -50 with wind chill with 30 mph winds where I am. We also got 14 inches of snow. Right now it's -14 degrees fahrenheit but feels like -35 with the wind chill.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 1:46 pm

The pipes are frozen at my house. Everything downstairs no longer runs hot water for the moment. Upstairs still has all our hot water needs.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 2:03 pm

My pipes are also frozen.It was 0 here with wind chills of 17 below.Its warmed up today to a blistering 34.The wind is still bad or it would be nice to be out,it is sunny and there is some snow.I saw the prints where two foxes had walked in the snow abreast.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 5:09 pm

if you have pipes that are not well insulated you need to have them running at all times in extreme cold because running water does not freeze as easy

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 5:18 pm

It takes longer to freeze,but even running water can freeze.Ive seen a frozen waterfall before.
On the plus side my pipes may be ok,the pipe froze and broke right at the well pump.All I'll need is an elbow joint.I think the heat light in the pump house quit in the night.I checked it before bed and it was on.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 5:43 pm

you should have heat tape at the well head it will help a lot

you can also use an old style oil lamp and some flexible ducting to direct the heat to the pipe to keep the wellhead warm if you loose power

also the reason why pipes wont freeze when you leave the water running is because the water is warmed by the earth before entering your house waterfalls freeze because they are exposed to the cold air

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 6:04 pm

Definitly going to add heat tape when it gets repaired.We haven't had weather like this since the eighties.Ive got a coal oil lamp for it in case the power goes out.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 10:07 pm

I've just started hearing about something called the "polar vortex", and it looks like it will be the most sensationalized weather phenomenon to come along since El Nino. Yesterday was mild and we had plenty of rain last night but that seemed to be to make room for yet another huge storm we're having now. looks like I will be a prisoner in my own apartment this winter because it will be too cold to go out and do anything and we're all royally screwed. :(

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 2:06 pm

^^^
Polar Vortex sounds like the title of some bad, made for SyFy Channel movie.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 10:09 am

Road is flooded 7 foot deep near me. Idiot tried to drive his lorry through it

:lol:

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 6:42 am

Crazy flooding in the south of England for the past few weeks. Just seems to be no end to it, many areas look like waterworld.

Lots of roads cut off and closed now. Took me 1 hour to do a normal 15 minute drive yesterday as I was trying to find a way home

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 8:04 pm

Below temperatures and way above normal snow here in the New York region this winter. Supplies of salt are running out and municipalities are running past their allotted budgets for snow removal. Strong "noreaster" expected with snow to rain or very heavy snow Thursday.

Atlanta which was crippled 2 weeks ago is expecting a major ice storm. The Philadelphia region is just getting back to normal after an ice storm knocked out power to over 600,000 customers. It was the second largest weather related power loss in that area. Hurricane Sandy is number 1

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman