Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 10:20 am

"E liquids", liquid refills for E cigarettes. When are people ever going to learn? This is just insane. Is there anything that people these days WON"T slam into their body to get a "fix?" Does anyone here use this stuff? What does it do for you? I don't smoke. I used to, peer smoking, 40 years ago, quitting at age 18. Never did understand the appeal, but people I know from way back then in the 60's still suck this poison into their lungs every day. Dirt poor people who have worked all their life and now approaching retirement look at the buying of cigarettes as a major portion of their budget. I don't know how this lifelong addiction has affected their career, their livelihood, their financial success. I thought society had a grip on this issue 25-30 years ago when tobacco advertising went prehistoric, only to find out the tobacco companies had just moved their advertising/marketing strategies to third world countries to get rich off the poisoning of other cultures. Now I see it raising its hideous head again in advertising for these disgusting electronic cigarettes.

"When will we ever learn, when will we eveeer learn"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXqTf8DU6a0[/youtube]

[Mod. edit: Please note - YouTube video embedding will not work when the URL starts with "https" (this is also true for image embedding).
The URL has been edited from "https" to "http" so that the video is now embedded in the post]

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 10:29 am

As any ex-smoker knows, nicotine is as addictive as heroin. We should not be criticizing people who got duped into becoming addicts and can't get off. We should lay all the blame where it belongs: on the tobacco companies and their deceitful ways, and give sympathy and support to the people they addict, rob, and then murder with their products.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 10:35 am

Oh, I understand and agree. I have a family of smoking sisters, nieces, nephews, grandchildren, going to be dealing with these health issues all their lives. Sister with pacemaker, sister with stints in every artery, sister who sounds like she is literally coughing up a lung with every breath. I know it is all about money and tax dollars. That is all that matters to people. Bring in the tax dollars from tobacco and use it to pay for the medical costs when people get old and start dying from nicotine poison related issues. I am well familiar with the cycle.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 11:20 am

My mother is a lifelong smoker. She switched to E-Cigs and has been steadily reducing her nicotine intake that way.

Its still nicotine but at least the really harmful crap that normally comes in cigarettes is not present (tar, etc). It is also easier to track how much nicotine goes into the body since the user literally can just fill the 'tank' by the mm and control their intake that way per day.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 12:35 pm

Apparently busybody whining about other people's personal choices is also one of the most addictive pastimes on the planet. :roll:

I'm always amazed at the self-righteous arrogance of twits who seem to believe that by choosing not to partake in this vice or the other, they grant themselves eternal life.

Everybody dies. Get over yourselves. Get a life that doesn't involve snarking over what other people are doing with theirs.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 8:17 pm

Actually I do smoke e-cigs now. It's not like something I'm proud of, but to the best of my knowledge, it is a great improvement over ordinary cigarettes.

It is very sad how many people have died from smoking and will continue to die from smoking, but freedom of choice and the evilness of Big Tobacco are two separate issues. People continue to smoke knowing darn well that they shouldn't. That's life. Cognitive dissonance.

I think e-cigs are a step in the right direction. Maybe not perfectly healthy but it has to be an improvement in my eyes.

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 9:11 pm

Willard wrote:
Apparently busybody whining about other people's personal choices is also one of the most addictive pastimes on the planet. :roll:

I'm always amazed at the self-righteous arrogance of twits who seem to believe that by choosing not to partake in this vice or the other, they grant themselves eternal life.

Everybody dies. Get over yourselves. Get a life that doesn't involve snarking over what other people are doing with theirs.

I do not begrudge anybody the "choice" of being addicted, or the relief they may obtain therefrom. I have my own, and I'd be happy to see everybody stay off judging mine. I also do not believe in eternal life as a result of speaking the truth, such as: manufactured tobacco is addictive, and actually more harmful than it need be.

What I mean by that is: American tobacco is well proven to contain radioactive polonium, probably the real cause of most lung cancer. There are several State Universities that have done research to demonstrate such, though it remains unpublisized. Can be found without much trouble if you are autistic and are interested. (And NTs can find it too if they want to, they just are not usually into that kind of digging.)

E-ciggs are better it seems to me because they do not produce particulate matter as does tobacco source of nicotine, thus reducing, or at least changing, second-hand smoke issue. If you are addicted to nicotine and switching to e-cig replacement, Thank You for creating less atmospheric pollution. But check out the reality of what it contains.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 9:13 pm

[puttin' on my doctor hat]

I have very mixed feelings about e-cigarettes.

Where they are used as part of a planned program of smoking cessation, I think they may be an excellent tool for reducing smokers' intake, and eliminating some of the harmful elements of cigarette smoke.

But where it is used as a replacement for smoking without any program of reducing intake, e-cigarettes may have a contrary effect, by increasing former smokers' nicotine intake, reinforcing addition, increasing the potential for relapse into smoking behaviors and increasing risk of nicotine associated conditions. Since nicotine increases heart rate and blood pressure, there may be a link between nicotine use, separate and apart from smoking, and cardiovascular accidents such as heart attack and stroke (jury is still out on this, clinically).

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 4:15 pm

I switched to e-cig from tobaccoo over a year ago.

I don't cough up black stuff anymore and I can take deep breaths without coughing my lungs out.
I'd have to say that's a significant improvement.
Maybe I'll quit the e-cigs some day, but for now they're a much cheaper, better tasting, and less immediately harmful substitute for the real thing.
Also, I don't smell like an ashtray anymore.