SeaWorld Switches To Using Great Whites For All Shows?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 5:20 pm

SeaWorld announces shift from orcas to sharks

I seriously thought this was a joke the first time I read it, but sadly, SeaWorld seems to be very serious about this...

This would have made to be a very good April Fool's Day gag, but nope. They're actually doing it.

Seriously SeaWorld, how much sense does this change make? Why on earth would you switch to using something even more dangerous during live shows?

Yeah, this seems like a very bad idea... At least they've finally decided to retire the orcas, despite the fact that they technically can't release them back into their natural habitat.

All and all, I'm not liking the sound of this.

I thought that this was a pretty good find, and since I haven't been very active around here lately, I figured I might as well post it.

Feel free to tell me what you think.

EDIT: This article might actually be fake. I feel naive and stupid for falling for this, too. But whatever. Hopefully this isn't real.

Last edited by FluttercordAspie93 on 18 Mar 2014, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sona_21
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2014, 5:40 pm

There is no way they could be allowed to do that, is there? Are they idiots (rhetorical question, if they think this is actually a good idea) I would almost like to say this is worse than the orca's. No large animals should be kept in captivity, it's just wrong, and in my opinion was the actual point of the documentary "Blackfish". Great white's aren't that much smaller than orca's, they are PREDETOR's and if SeaWorld is attempting this they really should shut down. [Side note: though I have some reservations I had previously believed that if SeaWorld stopped there exploitation of large and intelligent animal, such as whale's and possibly dolphins, and certainly GREAT WHITE SHARKS, then sure stay open. Taking care of smaller animals is more possible and human, and may help bring awareness to ocean creatures as a whole. Certainly it should be heavily regulated, but some of the programs are helpful. Well that was a long side note, sorry, I could go on but that is a complicated topic, and I don't feel like getting into it]. So to sum up my personal opinion, this seems like an awful idea, a truly, very awful idea. I may very well be done with SeaWorld (I almost didn't give up on you completely, but now!? I dunno, I just dunno)

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 5:41 pm

Sounds great! Hopefully as many of these exploitative jerks as possible get chunks bitten out of them by the sharks and their whole animal-enslaving operation gets shut down.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 5:53 pm

I don't mind them using sharks. Maybe it's just my Mammalian Chauvinism, but I think it's much better than using Orcas. Sharks aren't anywhere near as close to personhood as Orcas.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 5:53 pm

Guys, this article also might be fake.

I just realized this a few minutes ago.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 6:13 pm

FluttercordAspie93 wrote:
Guys, this article also might be fake.

I just realized this a few minutes ago.

The website doesn't appear to be satire like The Onion.
There is an article on the hollywood reporter website that big name musical acts are refusing to play at sea world. What bothers me is that the un-informed public thinks Orcas are the only intelligent animal that suffers in captivity. PEOPLE ! ! What about wolves, or elephants, or dolphins?? There is more than one animal suffering in captivity.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 6:19 pm

Actually, I don't think it's easy to keep a big shark alive in captivity (Tigers, Whites and whatnot); they really don't like it, and will stop eating, flounder and die. It's one reason why it's been so hard to get scientific facts on them.

They just don't take to a tank, so to speak.

Last edited by Dillogic on 18 Mar 2014, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sona_21
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2014, 6:19 pm

Ah, this does actually appear to be satire. I read the comments. Which makes me feel a little better, however they have a lot of issues before I would ever consider going to SeaWorld.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 7:14 pm

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 11:36 pm

Uh... I hope they realize sharks of any sort don't have the brain mass or intelligence to perform tricks like killer whales. A trainer tries to perform an act with a great white, and they'll be scooping up what little that's left of said trainer that has not been eaten by the shark out of the pool.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 7:11 am

It's probably a joke, but I hope it's not. That's an act I would actually pay to see!

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 9:16 am

A cross between Deep Blue Sea and Sharknado is the first thing that popped into my head.

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Mar 2014, 9:45 am

Other stories from "Almost Factual News":

"Leaked: SDPD "Touch Guide""
"UT-TV Hires Ron Burgundy for New Web Venture"
"Leaked: Kevin Faulconer's Inauguration Poem
SHOUTING "BOO YA!" AT WIKILEAKS AND SNOWDEN, NOBLE EXPERIMENT "

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Mar 2014, 9:48 am

micfranklin wrote:
A cross between Deep Blue Sea and Sharknado is the first thing that popped into my head.

I can just see SeaWorld's new live show right now:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMwmqp3GLMc[/youtube]

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 9:58 am

Also, I just read an article on Cracked about how SeaWorld isn't all that's cracked up to be. Supposedly the writer used to work there and it was horrible.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 10:10 am

It looks like satire.

By the way, Blackfish was a really good documentary for those who haven't seen it.

I do hope they take the orcas out of their shows if they haven't done so already. A shame to see such intelligent creatures being held captive like that.