White guy kills multiple people in black church

Page 12 of 15 [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 6:52 pm

Quote:
Why should they be consulted on policy if they're only in business to make money then? It's a pretty obvious conflict of interest, especially since they receive direct subsidies from weapons/weapon parts manufacturers in addition to membership dues and %s of sales.
Read again what I wrote with a few brain cells powered on this time...

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 7:03 pm

Raptor wrote:
Quote:
Why should they be consulted on policy if they're only in business to make money then? It's a pretty obvious conflict of interest, especially since they receive direct subsidies from weapons/weapon parts manufacturers in addition to membership dues and %s of sales.
Read again what I wrote with a few brain cells powered on this time...
I did. perhaps you could do the same?

Fugu wrote:
they're not a business though, they're a political organization.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 7:13 pm

Gun ownership is declining in America, despite the fact that gun sales have gone up. Less people are responsible for owning more guns from the way I read it. The exception might be if there has been a spike in illegal purchases have been made in recent years distorting the statistics (not sure?)

Personally I don't care too much if a person has 1 gun or 50 guns. There is a declining cost-benefit the more guns a person owns. You can do about as much damage with 1 guns as with 50. The scary part is that some people are stockpiling as if they are preparing for a civil war, and this is I think why the idea of confiscating guns is such a scary prospect. I have no qualms saying I would like to and I think it's funny that it riles people up. Do I actually have any power though? All I have is my words? Well at least I'm honest.

Why is gun ownership among men higher than gun ownership against women? About 35% of men own a gun while 12% of women own a gun? Someone explain this to me.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 7:21 pm

heavenlyabyss wrote:
...The scary part is that some people are stockpiling as if they are preparing for a civil war....

Not quite. There are about 100 million U.S. firearm owners who own about 300 million firearms. That is about three for every owner. The most common firearms owned include: 1) a self-defense handgun, 2) a hunting rifle, and 3) a hunting shotgun. If the average firearm owner owned only three firearms, these would most likely be them. As such, they aren't exactly an arsenal as they have legally separate and distinct uses.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 7:28 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
heavenlyabyss wrote:
...The scary part is that some people are stockpiling as if they are preparing for a civil war....

Not quite. There are about 100 million U.S. firearm owners who own about 300 million firearms. That is about three for every owner. The most common firearms owned include: 1) a self-defense handgun, 2) a hunting rifle, and 3) a hunting shotgun. If the average firearm owner owned only three firearms, these would most likely be them. As such, they aren't exactly an arsenal as they have legally separate and distinct uses.
they're all designed to kill, aren't they?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 7:33 pm

Fugu wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
heavenlyabyss wrote:

No more so than motor vehicles.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 7:47 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Fugu wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
heavenlyabyss wrote:

No more so than motor vehicles.
Really? why is it that motor vehicles have things like Airbags, Roll cages, Firewalls, seatbelts et c if they're nothing more than machines designed to kill?

perhaps we could equalize the two, make the requirements for gun operation as stringent as those for Motor Vehicles.. that would stop more shootings I bet.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 8:11 pm

Fugu wrote:
why is it that motor vehicles have things like Airbags, Roll cages, Firewalls, seatbelts et c if they're nothing more than machines designed to kill...?

For the same reason that firearms have internal- and external-safety catches, recoil compensators, loaded-chamber indicators, decockers, magazine disconnects and retention holsters, among other safe-use features.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 9:02 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Fugu wrote:
why is it that motor vehicles have things like Airbags, Roll cages, Firewalls, seatbelts et c if they're nothing more than machines designed to kill...?

For the same reason that firearms have internal- and external-safety catches, recoil compensators, loaded-chamber indicators, decockers, magazine disconnects and retention holsters, among other safe-use features.
Cars are required to have tracking numbers, renewed operation licenses every 1-5 years(depending on state), can be impounded if used incorrectly or in an erratic fashion by the operator. A vehicle is not designed to kill, it's sole purpose is not ejecting metal objects at supersonic speeds. your analogy is severely lacking.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 9:49 pm

Fugu wrote:
Cars are required to have tracking numbers, renewed operation licenses every 1-5 years(depending on state), can be impounded if used incorrectly or in an erratic fashion by the operator. A vehicle is not designed to kill, it's sole purpose is not ejecting metal objects at supersonic speeds. your analogy is severely lacking.

Firearms are required to have tracking numbers, renewed operation licenses every 1-5 years (depending on state), may be confiscated by law if used incorrectly or in an erratic fashion by the operator. The number of privately owned passenger vehicles in 2006 was 142,078,903 cars and motorcycles. The number of deaths from these vehicles in 2006 was 42,642, or 0.03 percent of all privately owned passenger vehicles. The number of privately owned firearms in 2006 was approximately 265,558,200. The number of deaths from these firearms in 2006 was 11,547, or 0.004 percent of all privately owned firearms.

In other words, motor vehicles in 2006 were 7.5 times more deadly than firearms.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 10:37 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Fugu wrote:

Firearms are required to have tracking numbers, renewed operation licenses every 1-5 years (depending on state), may be confiscated by law if used incorrectly or in an erratic fashion by the operator.
Not in every state are gun owners required to register their weapons, or even have it checked for fitness.

http://gunlawscorecard.org/ wrote:
1 California A- 42 yes
2 Connecticut A- 45
3 New Jersey A- 46
4 Maryland A- 33
5 New York A- 47
6 Massachusetts A- 50 yes
7 Hawaii B+ 49 yes
8 Illinois B+ 38
9 Rhode Island B+ 48 yes
10 Delaware B- 30
11 Washington B- 35 yes
12 Minnesota C 44 yes
13 Pennsylvania C 26
14 Michigan C 22
15 Iowa C- 43
16 Colorado C- 20
17 Wisconsin C- 40
18 Oregon D+ 28
19 Ohio D 27
20 Virginia D 32
21 Nebraska D 36
22 New Hampshire D- 41
23 Indiana D- 23
24 Maine F 37
24 Oklahoma F 8 yes
24 West Virginia F 12
27 Georgia F 19
27 North Dakota F 31
29 Nevada F 18
29 North Carolina F 25
29 Texas F 29
32 Arkansas F 7
32 Florida F 24
34 New Mexico F 9
34 South Carolina F 10
34 Tennessee F 11
37 Alabama F 5
38 Utah F 21
39 Idaho F 16
39 Montana F 6
41 Kansas F 17
41 Vermont F 39
43 South Dakota F 34
44 Alaska F 4 yes
44 Missouri F 14
44 Wyoming F 1
47 Kentucky F 13
48 Arizona F 15 yes
48 Mississippi F 3
50 Louisiana F 2

every state from Maine on down in the above list do not require background checks on private sales, nor do they prohibit assault weapons, require a waiting period, gun registration or ammo to be regulated.
every state from Alabama on down does not require that junk guns be regulated, nor that large capacity magazines be regulated, ditto to guns dealers not being required to register.
Claiming that guns and vehicles are similar in regulation requirements is plainly false.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 1:27 am

*sigh*

Unless there is someone else here with a gunsmithing degree and years of experience in the field, I think I can safely say that I'm the only one here with any actual gun designing experience, and "to kill" is not one of the design parameters, and would be irrelevant if it were, as plenty of things used as weapons were not designed as such. Sure, the majority of guns are designed as weapons and virtually all of them, with the exception of some really odd long range target rifles, can be used as such, but that's no different than any bow or crossbow and a quite a lot of edged weapons. Not that I think the average dead person cares much about whether the implement of their demise was "designed to kill" or not anyway. Really, it's a stupid argument made by people who don't know what they're talking about, one that I've debunked numerous times here as it's mysteriously popular amongst the uninformed, so hopefully we can dispense with it.

Further, is anyone who is spouting off about the NRA actually a member? Know any members personally? Have any specialized knowledge of the organization not gained through the media? Up until the mid 90's, the NRA was loathed by many gun owners, known as 'Negotiates Rights Away' due to their habit of appeasing the antis in the hope of staving off more draconian laws, and it took an internal coup in the organization to change that. Gun owners don't get their opinions from the NRA, the NRA gets its opinions from gun owners, who, strangely enough, don't tend to like pointless laws pushed by ignorant know-nothings who hold them in contempt. Even today, the NRA is grudgingly respected because they're good at lobbying, but few genuinely love the group, they need to ditch LaPierre, they need to do better at minority outreach, and they need to stop pussyfooting around with stuff like NFA reform, to name but a few complaints. This is one of those things that people who don't own guns never seem able to wrap their heads around concerning those of us who do; we really like guns, and no one needs to twist our arms or invoke some paranoid scenario to convince us to buy them.

Also, there's nothing paranoid about worrying about people coming for your guns when people repeatedly try to do just that, even when they use dishonest, loaded language like "assault weapons" or "high capacity" to describe what they want to ban. You want to ban guns I own, i.e. you are in fact 'coming for my guns'. Treating people who disagree with you as if they are stupid is seldom a persuasive strategy, especially when you can't even accurately define what you're actually talking about.

In the same vein, please spare me any further talk of "gun safety" when you mean "gun control"; again, everyone knows what you're talking about, and it only underlines the dishonesty of the anti-gun side to use such sleight of mouth.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 1:51 am

Using "what it was made for" is an appeal to emotion [and other fallacies] that has zero bearing on the argument regarding intentional and accidental death.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 3:52 am

Dox47 wrote:
In the same vein, please spare me any further talk of "gun safety" when you mean "gun control"; again, everyone knows what you're talking about, and it only underlines the dishonesty of the anti-gun side to use such sleight of mouth.

Ok ignoring the obvious facts;
Guns are used to kill two out of every three homicide victims in the United States, and new research shows that easy-access guns in the home make a difference. Homicide rates are highest in states where more households have guns, the national survey concludes.
http://www.livescience.com/1216-homicid ... -home.html

Since 1996 after Australia introduced restrictive gun laws the number of homicides has fallen dramatically. The latter is causal evidence for removing access to guns

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 5:17 am

cyberdad wrote:
Since 1996 after Australia introduced restrictive gun laws the number of homicides has fallen dramatically. The latter is causal evidence for removing access to guns

Wrong.

The murder rate has stayed the same overall, with any rises and falls attributed to normal variances, and the downward trend starting before 96 continuing on.

They aren't even sure if "firearm homicides" have dropped, and there's arguments there depending on how many years after and before you use as your controls.

There's no arguments over whether the murder rate has stayed the same.

Here's one (there's more):
http://bjc.oxfordjournals.org/content/47/3/455.abstract
Another with "firearm homicides" and speaking of the arguments (murder rate overall is the main point of any legislation regarding deaths, but you know if there's little change in the "firearm homicide" rate, it's entirely ineffective):
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract

GinFab
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jun 2015, 7:03 am

indeed terrible. I am curious what has happened in his head in that time