03 Feb 2016, 9:08 pm

This was at a Senate hearing:

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-ca ... ng-n510826

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 9:16 pm

That's no big secret.

Congress has purposely kept it that way to punish Native Americans.
Congress has also been doing other horrible things via the Department of the Interior (who is responsible of managing and governing tribal lands).

Though from what I've heard about the Canadian healthcare system, It's on par with what story is reporting.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 9:22 pm

At least it isn't the 70's. They secretly authorized the sterilization of maybe 1/4 of the population of Native American women in the name of racism. It's well documented, makes me want to puke.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 9:35 pm

We could take this as a sneak preview of what nationalised healthcare for the whole country would be like: sh***y.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 9:46 pm

Raptor wrote:
We could take this as a sneak preview of what nationalised healthcare for the whole country would be like: sh***y.

Actually what the Native Americans are forced to take has nothing to do with nationalized healthcare.
Native Americans can only take what healthcare Congress authorizes on tribal lands, same goes for practically everything else on tribal lands.

Though to be fair healthcare is like in a lot of cities and states in the U.S. already, and the whole of Canada.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 9:56 pm

^ I think you know what I meant but we're not going to beat it to death.
Well, I'm not....

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 9:57 pm

Raptor wrote:
^ I think you know what I meant but we're not going to beat it to death.
Well, I'm not....

I know what you meant.
Making healthcare care worse in most parts of the U.S. would require a massive amount of resources and effort.
It really can't get any worse for large part of the country.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 5:53 pm

If anything, this sort of thing can be found in poor inner city area hospitals, too.
In one, an elderly black lady had been waiting room for two days - TWO DAYS - and when she collapsed, a security scooted to the doorway to take a look, then scooted away. She soon died. The hospital's excuse was that they didn't know she was dying, because she had gotten up to use the restroom. The security tape shows otherwise.
In another, a homeless Latina woman had been brought in by her boyfriend to a hospital, after she was found unconscious. Being that she had shown up for stomach pains several times before, and discharged without finding anything, the nurse told her she could make an appointment, but otherwise there was nothing they could do for her. With that, the woman dropped to the floor, vomiting blood. Still, the hospital wouldn't admit her, though they did send in the janitors to clean up the vomited blood... as she laid there. Though her boyfriend had called other hospitals, they all insisted the woman would be helped at where she was at. Finally, when the police were called, they arrested the woman because she had had an outstanding warrant on her. She died in police custody. An autopsy revealed she had had a perforated bowel.
The incidents on the reservations, as with those just described in inner city hospitals, is almost certainly due to the lack of respect for poor people's lives, especially if they're people of color.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2016, 6:03 pm

The government loves you, and you can trust it to provide the highest quality health care. Also, the purest possible drinking water.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 12:15 am

luan78zao wrote:
The government loves you, and you can trust it to provide the highest quality health care. Also, the purest possible drinking water.

That lead poisoned water in Flint came to be because the Michigan state Governor, Snyder, believes government should be run like a business. That, and Snyder forced an unelected Emergency Manager on the people of Flint, who allowed this thing to happen. Politicians who believe government shouldn't be in people's lives are the same ones who not only believe the government shouldn't help people, but who end up having no problem causing harm to them.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2016, 12:22 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
luan78zao wrote:

That lead poisoned water in Flint came to be because the Michigan state Governor, Snyder, believes government should be run like a business. That, and Snyder forced an unelected Emergency Manager on the people of Flint, who allowed this thing to happen. Politicians who believe government shouldn't be in people's lives are the same ones who not only believe the government shouldn't help people, but who end up having no problem causing harm to them.

Politicians who do believe that the government should be in people's lives have done immense harm, all around the world.

Arguments which amount to "My gang would do it differently" will not be considered.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 12:22 am

There Are Four Lights!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 12:46 am

luan78zao wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
luan78zao wrote:

Politicians who do believe that the government should be in people's lives have done immense harm, all around the world.

Arguments which amount to "My gang would do it differently" will not be considered.

Because the government takes part in our lives is the only reason why it's against the law to pollute the environment with poisons, such as lead, in the first place. Because government is in our lives, it's illegal to discriminate against unpopular groups of people. Because government is in our lives, we have a social safety net for those impaired by age, disability, or lack of employment. Government being in our lives sounds pretty good to me.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2016, 1:10 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Because the government takes part in our lives is the only reason why it's against the law to pollute the environment with poisons, such as lead, in the first place.

Unless it's the government doing it. Then you can't do anything about it.

Quote:
Because government is in our lives, it's illegal to discriminate against unpopular groups of people.

Unless it's the government doing it. Then you can't do anything about it. (Did you forget the topic of this thread?)

Quote:
Because government is in our lives, we have a social safety net for those impaired by age, disability, or lack of employment.

There was a voluntarily-funded safety net in place, before the government displaced it with a coercively-run version. Why do you so love coercion?

Quote:
Government being in our lives sounds pretty good to me.

Maybe you'd be happier on a reservation.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 1:23 am

luan78zao wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Because the government takes part in our lives is the only reason why it's against the law to pollute the environment with poisons, such as lead, in the first place.

Unless it's the government doing it. Then you can't do anything about it.

Quote:
Because government is in our lives, it's illegal to discriminate against unpopular groups of people.

Unless it's the government doing it. Then you can't do anything about it. (Did you forget the topic of this thread?)

Quote:
Because government is in our lives, we have a social safety net for those impaired by age, disability, or lack of employment.

There was a voluntarily-funded safety net in place, before the government displaced it with a coercively-run version. Why do you so love coercion?

Quote:
Government being in our lives sounds pretty good to me.

Maybe you'd be happier on a reservation.

What do you mean the government can't prevent poisons in the environment, unless it's done by the government?!?! The government regulates private business everyday in order to protect us.
No, I didn't forget what this thread is about. I brought up civil rights protections as an example of something that can only be provided by the government.
And a voluntary social safety net? In other words, setting up a system doomed to failure. Nobody is going to contribute to such a thing on their own accord.
And no, I don't care to live on a reservation. I just want government responsible to the people.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 1:35 am