Restrained Autistic Student dies on bus

Page 10 of 10 [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 5:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Killing somebody deliberately is not justified. No matter what.

There has been no evidence presented suggesting that the bus driver's intent was to kill. So far it seems it was unintentional while he was restraining the student.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 5:44 pm

I certainly hope not.

But to say that killing is "justified" sends a bad message. Semantically, it means that the death was "justified."

It really wasn't justified. It was tragic even if it wasn't deliberate. Quite possibly a tragic accident where the restrainer is not criminally culpable.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 5:58 pm

If someone was trying to hurt me or beat me, I would have the right to defend myself so if the person died, whose fault is that?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 6:03 pm

One has to defend one's self. Yes, indeed.

But if one is trained in restraints, that person has to set aside his/her instinctual anger, and seek to practice restraint. Seek not to think about "dog eat dog."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 9:29 am

Anthony was a threat to thier safety not thier lives when before he was restrained. Near the end when he must have shown obvoius signs of suffocation the situation was probably reversed they were more than a threat to his life and he was restrained and outnumbered and appearently he did not have a weapon so his potential threat to them was minimal.

My guesses as to why the staff ignored probable obvoius sighs of asphyxiation

1. They thought he was faking it.

2. They were enjoying the "ret*d" suffering. The old "we meant to f**k him up but not kill him" situation.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 23 Mar 2017, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 10:45 am

Having gone to a school like the victim's and having been on countless bus rides with kids like the victim, my whole life, I have seen plenty of kids being restrained. And what the bus driver did is in no way how they're supposed to restrain someone. In my opinion, it was the bus driver who went out of control. To me this is like someone shaking a baby to death because he/she wouldn't stop crying. In my opinion it was completely unwarranted and excessive force.

By the way, our buses have cameras. I wonder if that would have changed how the bus driver responded.

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 3:03 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Quote:
the bus driver pushed the teen's shoulders down, forcing his head between his legs, for 12 minutes until he stopped breathing, a San Bernardino police report stated.

Quote:
Corona's autism and mental retardation contributed to his death, a coroner's report states.

The bus driver killed him, but autism and retardation contributed to his death.

How? Police and others sometimes kill non-autistc, non-retarded people with these kinds of holds. In what way did his condition contribute to his being killed by the bus driver?

Are there other conditions that make it okay for the bus driver to kill you? What if you have a bad cold? Major depression? Sciatica?

This story makes me very angry.

That's just the way police apparently handles autistic peeps. Or anyone with any major, common difference. Deal.

(Sigh) Such a chilling world we live in, one where - for anyone who isn't neurotypical - the stakes are way higher than normal.