RNC's 'new king' Christmas message ignites furor

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 6:52 am

RNC's 'new king' Christmas message ignites furor over whether it compared Trump to Jesus

Quote:
"Merry Christmas to all! Over two millennia ago, a new hope was born into the world, a Savior who would offer the promise of salvation to all mankind. Just as the three wise men did on that night, this Christmas heralds a time to celebrate the good news of a new King. We hope Americans celebrating Christmas today will enjoy a day of festivities and a renewed closeness with family and friends.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/25/rncs-new ... furor.html

To me this just goes to show how hyped up and paranoid too many people have become. I didn't have a religious upbringing and even I can tell vernacular like "good news" of a new (capital K) King, is clearly religious and referring to Jesus. To me this is a clear demonstration of how much straw grasping and over exaggeration is going on. I'm sure no matter what, some will insist that that "new King" meant Donald Trump. Stock in the tinfoil market must be going through the roof.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 8:57 am

Celebrating "the good news of a new king" is a central tenet of the Christian religion every day of every year so to me it is a non issue.

A governing party taking a stance towered one particular religion in an official statement is more of an issue. The statement starts off saying "Merry Christmas to all" then states as fact central tenants of the Christian religion. The last sentence contradicts the first two referring to only those Americans celebrating Christmas. Merry Christmas to all or just those celebrating, which is it?

They should have said "Merry Christmas to those celebrating" or just plain old "Merry Christmas" and left it at that. While it would be nice if they said "Happy Chanukkah" and "Happy Kwanza" or just "seasons greetings", it should not be considered insulting if they did not as the population is vast majority Christian and there are so many people celebrating different things or not celebrating this time of the year that including everybody can be awkward to the point of the statement's meaning being lost.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 9:16 am

EzraS wrote:
RNC's 'new king' Christmas message ignites furor over whether it compared Trump to Jesus

Quote:
"Merry Christmas to all! Over two millennia ago, a new hope was born into the world, a Savior who would offer the promise of salvation to all mankind. Just as the three wise men did on that night, this Christmas heralds a time to celebrate the good news of a new King. We hope Americans celebrating Christmas today will enjoy a day of festivities and a renewed closeness with family and friends.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/25/rncs-new ... furor.html

To me this just goes to show how hyped up and paranoid too many people have become. I didn't have a religious upbringing and even I can tell vernacular like "good news" of a new (capital K) King, is clearly religious and referring to Jesus. To me this is a clear demonstration of how much straw grasping and over exaggeration is going on. I'm sure no matter what, some will insist that that "new King" meant Donald Trump. Stock in the tinfoil market must be going through the roof.

Yes, too over the top? Indeed. But, had the election turned out otherwise, we would be reading and hearing about Clinton cum Joan of Arc or even Mary giving birth to "a new age." Verbal extremism lost no ground this year. I suppose it is even worse after eight years of an administration which neither sought nor accepted congressional and judicial cooperation on its policies. Bald-faced bluster might strong-arm some so-called victories, but it will still foment growing opposition which engenders a kind of joyful extremism which any political party would consider is due. I wish American politicos would simply grow up and calm down.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 9:22 am

Christmas is the domonant holiday in America. I don't think that can be denied. In predominantly liberal Seattle all of the construction cranes are decorated with lights to represent Christmas trees. The Space Needle has a giant Christmas tree display on top of it. Most all office buildings and hotels have Christmas trees in them. And this was true also in Las Vegas where I used to live. The Bellagio had an enormous Christmas display in their huge atrium with a Christmas tree that looked 100 feet tall.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 9:35 am

Quote:
Just as the three wise men did on that night, this Christmas heralds a time to celebrate the good news of a new King
RNC

So is Jesus the new king, or the old king?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 10:57 am

Peas on earth and turkey mild, gravy to the new born king.