Page 2 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 1:29 am

I'd rather throw him in a hole and forget about him, and besides, the penalty phase of his trial was a travesty that might cause legal problems down the road.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 1:56 am

Adamantium wrote:
Saying that he should get off because of a personality disorder is tantamount to saying that people with personality disorders are probable mass murderers.

No, it isn't tantamount to that. A statement about one person's circumstances is in no way a statement about the probable behavior of everyone with the same mental condition. These are two completely different things.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 3:01 am

redrobin62 wrote:
I completely, 100% disagree with the punishment. Did anyone involved in his case look at that kid's history. To wit:

1. Roof exhibited "obsessive compulsive behavior" as he grew up.
2. obsessing over germs and insisting on having his hair cut in a certain style.
3. In nine years, Roof attended at least seven schools in two South Carolina counties.
4. His maternal uncle, Carson Cowles, said that he expressed concern about the social withdrawal of his then-nineteen-year-old nephew.
5. "he still didn't have a job, a driver's license or anything like that and he just stayed in his room a lot of the time".
6. When his sister planned to be married, he did not respond to her invitation to the event.
7. Dylann Roof was likely subjected to the double whammy — he inherited a genetic predisposition to a personality disorder, and then experienced the terrible parenting of a sociopathic father.

How do you sentence someone to death with all these extenuating circumstances?

The thing is, about everyone who has ever done a terrible thing has had a godawful childhood, and has displayed mental illness of one kind or another. That said, most people who this also applies to have never committed mass murder. If Roof was proven to be mentally insane, and unable to tell the difference between right and wrong, that would be an extenuating circumstance. But he did know what he did was wrong, and did it anyway, making him guilty and worthy of the death penalty.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 12:45 pm

starkid wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
Saying that he should get off because of a personality disorder is tantamount to saying that people with personality disorders are probable mass murderers.

No, it isn't tantamount to that. A statement about one person's circumstances is in no way a statement about the probable behavior of everyone with the same mental condition. These are two completely different things.

I don't agree. The problem is that redrobin62 used very general descriptions of the issues he thought should be extenuating circumstances. If they were specific to this individual then I would agree with you, but the list that redrobin62 drew up is extremely vague.

People with odd haircuts, any kind of OCD, who don't respond to wedding invitations or stay in the rooms a lot of the time--none of that says, "just couldn't help himself from unloading a magazine full of .45 ACP into a bunch of people at a church." There is no cause-effect there, so they aren't extenuating circumstances.

I tend to agree with Dox that throwing away the key is a better option, but on the more general grounds that governments are generally run by fallible people who make many mistakes. That's usually OK when the mistake has to do with identity documents, or vehicle licenses, etc. but not at all OK when they are taking a life. So I am generally opposed to the death penalty on grounds of the generic incompetence of states.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 1:27 pm

Oh man, I legit feel bad for that kid. I don't usually feel bad for the killers, even if it looks like something questionable drove them or steered them to what they did. But I do feel bad for Roof.

But I'd feel worse if I was minding my own business in bible study and got shot. So what can you do? It's a shame all around.

diablo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2017, 3:46 pm

No sympathy whatsoever for him even though I'm against capital punishment. Some people are just evil, he enjoyed killing people. Good riddance.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 5:30 pm

Re: extenuating circumstances. I will ATTEMPT to clarify what I meant. Feel free to tell me I'm wasting my time.

1. Roof exhibited "obsessive compulsive behavior" as he grew up. -- Asperger's Syndrome? OCD?

2. obsessing over germs and insisting on having his hair cut in a certain style. -- Asperger's Syndrome? OCD?

3. In nine years, Roof attended at least seven schools in two South Carolina counties. -- Instability; will develop trust issues.

"Lots of studies show that kids who move a lot tend to have more problems in school and other types of behavioral difficulties. But do those problems last into adulthood? A new study indicates that they do."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/checku ... ids_f.html

4. His maternal uncle, Carson Cowles, said that he expressed concern about the social withdrawal of his then-nineteen-year-old nephew. -- Asperger's Syndrome?

5. "he still didn't have a job, a driver's license or anything like that and he just stayed in his room a lot of the time". -- Asperger's Syndrome? Social anxiety disorder?

6. When his sister planned to be married, he did not respond to her invitation to the event. -- Asperger's Syndrome?

7. Dylann Roof was likely subjected to the double whammy — he inherited a genetic predisposition to a personality disorder, and then experienced the terrible parenting of a sociopathic father. -- PTSD?

I maintain there was a perfect storm of issues in an unstable, under-developed mind, and this is the result.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 6:06 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Oh man, I legit feel bad for that kid. I don't usually feel bad for the killers, even if it looks like something questionable drove them or steered them to what they did. But I do feel bad for Roof.

But I'd feel worse if I was minding my own business in bible study and got shot. So what can you do? It's a shame all around.

Why do you feel bad for him?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 7:23 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Re: extenuating circumstances. I will ATTEMPT to clarify what I meant. Feel free to tell me I'm wasting my time.

1. Roof exhibited "obsessive compulsive behavior" as he grew up. -- Asperger's Syndrome? OCD?

2. obsessing over germs and insisting on having his hair cut in a certain style. -- Asperger's Syndrome? OCD?

3. In nine years, Roof attended at least seven schools in two South Carolina counties. -- Instability; will develop trust issues.

"Lots of studies show that kids who move a lot tend to have more problems in school and other types of behavioral difficulties. But do those problems last into adulthood? A new study indicates that they do."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/checku ... ids_f.html

4. His maternal uncle, Carson Cowles, said that he expressed concern about the social withdrawal of his then-nineteen-year-old nephew. -- Asperger's Syndrome?

5. "he still didn't have a job, a driver's license or anything like that and he just stayed in his room a lot of the time". -- Asperger's Syndrome? Social anxiety disorder?

6. When his sister planned to be married, he did not respond to her invitation to the event. -- Asperger's Syndrome?

7. Dylann Roof was likely subjected to the double whammy — he inherited a genetic predisposition to a personality disorder, and then experienced the terrible parenting of a sociopathic father. -- PTSD?

I maintain there was a perfect storm of issues in an unstable, under-developed mind, and this is the result.

But even if he did have Asperger's, and/or OCD, that doesn't excuse him from what he did. I'm an Aspie through and through, but I've never had a problem differentiating between right and wrong, and that's the litmus test for extenuating circumstances in a case like this where a church full of strangers are mowed down. Dylan Roof's motivation wasn't due to any autistic disorder, but to the hateful white supremacist ideology he identified with.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 8:06 pm

Robin

I agree with K. He is exactly right that aspergers does not blind a person to knowing right from wrong.

But I would go beyond what K said.

You are making an argument that uses a dangerous line of reasoning that would lead to the very thing that you are so afraid of, and are trying protect against. And that thing is danger to people with mental conditions.

You are asking a court of law to make a precedent that associates aspergers with having homicidal tendencies.

That would encourage even more prejudice against aspies than there already is, and would play in to the hands of the very enemy that you are so afraid of.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 8:29 pm

redrobin62 wrote:

I totally agree, with this statement----BUT, it doesn't prove that he didn't know right-from-wrong. By your saying he could've been an Aspie----I think one of the criteria for Aspie, is that Aspies must have average or above average intelligence; so, you're shooting a hole in your own theory, right there.

Now, IIRC, an IQ below 70, is someone who is ret*d, I think----THEN, he could have, possibly, been said to not have the capacity to know right-from-wrong; but, it seems to me, that even a ret*d person is capable of knowing that killing someone, isn't right (I guess it depends-on the extent of the retardation, though).

Bottom Line: He has to be held accountable, for his actions----I agree that it's sad, after all his issues, but.....

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 9:19 pm

Personally, Roof got his just deserts. I'm a staunch advocate of "let the punishment fit the crime." Before anyone calls me on the carpet, I've had murderous tendencies in the past, especially with former housemates and a former friend that thought it was funny to trigger my PTSD and anxiety by attempting to grab at my crotch, then laugh when I shoot him the I'm going to kill you look and raise my fist, while I'm trying to drive. There's been a few times I was tempted to purloin my former, as well as current, roommates service revolver (except they're State troopers, and lock their weapons up at the State Police barracks when off-duty.). I don't care if I'm committing justifiable homicide, I do The act, I deserve the punishment. (Yes, I'm my own worst enemy most of the time.)

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 9:46 pm

It's not just the Asperger's that may have had his mind so addled. Throw in a dash of PTSD, a smidgen of OCD, a good dose of unstable home life, negligent parents, probably never had a girlfriend or even anyone to say they loved him, and what you get is a seriously disturbed young man who unleashed his anger, unfortunately, in the wrong direction.

Take me for instance. I'm an aspie, gay, immigrant, bipolar, profoundly depressed and anxious, PTSD, mixed race, alcoholic, drug addicted and homeless individual. In the past few years, psychologists and psychiatrists, cops and judges, can't get a bead on how to treat me.

I go to sleep at 10PM, then wake up around 1 or 2 AM and stay up the rest of the night because of bipolar. If that doesn't add enough to my instability, there's all that other mental sh*t I have to wrestle with every f*cking day.

So what have I done in the past few months?

1. Walked naked in public parks, the streets, and a supermarket.
2. Broke into a church.
3. Hopped over the fence of a police station and told the cops I was looking for one of their cars to kick the sideview mirrors off.
4. Broke two windows in a bank, then waited naked in the street for the police to arrest me, which they did.
5. After accidentally locking myself out of my car, somehow I ended up naked and in a hospital.
6. Vandalized the mall sign at the local mall.
7. Walked naked into several hospitals.
8. Stole food from a supermarket.
9. Walked naked into the same supermarket a week later and stole some chicken tenders.

What I'm saying is, one issue + another issue + another issue + another issue = a very untreatable individual. There are no paradigms or medical books for dealing with such a complicated person. Unfortunately, the best (and popular) way they seem to deal with the unstable is to put a bullet to their heads.

Right now, we as humans are WAY behind in treating acute, unusual confluence of mental illnesses. So we shoot the poor afflicted individual to death in the street.

We can do better.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 9:52 pm

Have you shot anyone with your Glock 41?

Are you planning to?

Do you have a web site where you advocate murderous violence against non-white people?

If you can't answer "yes" to at least two of those, I don't think you are at all like Mr. Roof in the salient characteristics.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 9:58 pm

Q: Have you shot anyone with your Glock 41?
A: I don't even have a gun, and will never want one. Same for knives.

Q: Are you planning to?
A: Nah. I'm all about peace and non-violence.

Q: Do you have a web site where you advocate murderous violence against non-white people?
A: Violence against my own people? I don't think so. My boyfriends have been Puerto Rican, Vietnamese and white. The longer-lasting ones were white; Irish, to be specific.

Sorry, but no violence for Robin. I'd like to add this, though.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 11:11 pm

I don't care what he has. Kill him.

If he's an Aspie with PTSD, kill him and tell him I said he deserves to die.

I'm an Aspie with PTSD. I have enough hate in my heart that, if Jesus was right, nothing can save me from Hell (can't repent a sin if you can't quit sinning it). I am the most hateful person I know. Sometimes I sit in my car an snarl racial epithets under my breath, not because I hate people of any particular color or ethnicity, but because other than children in general, my kids in particular, and a select few adults, I hate ALL people and have to bleed a little of that off somewhere.

I have not walked into a church and killed nine human beings on the basis of that hatred, or the color of their skin, or for any other reason. I have enough hate to do it. I just happen to know that it's wrong, and have enough self-control to sit in a chair and Google "hillbilly jokes" or "ret*d jokes" or "n****r jokes" or whatever instead. Or write about how much I hate people.

Or if, God forbid, I ever start to think killing for ANY reason other than the direct and immediate defense of my own life or that of my children is a real, literal, actual good idea, blow my own f*****g head off before hate gets the better of me.

Yeah, Robin, those are some freaky things. I hope no poorly educated cop shoots you for it. And if one does, I hope he goes on trial for murder. Because you're just stealing chicken tenders and breaking windows and showing off your wang. It might scare the f**k out of people, but it won't kill them. You're not violent, I hope you stay safe, and I hope someone figures out a way to get some of the demons out of your head (or at least get them good and stones so they sit around peaceably).

Hey-- my grandfather used to walk in his sleep and strip naked in front of picture windows. It got him locked up and possibly sterilized. He wasn't a threat to anyone's life. This kid SHOT NINE PEOPLE and, IIRC, said he'd do it again basically because he's proud to strike a blow for whiteness.

I might feel bad for him, but he's a rabid animal. You're just a twitchy old dog. A twitchy old dog needs a safe, warm, dry place to live out the remainder of its life. A rabid animal needs to be put down.