Obama makes Statment: Values at Stake

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 2:46 pm

Politico: Obama supports protests: 'American values are at stake'

I am surprised he had to take this action so quickly, but he had to say something in the face of Trump's order.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 2:48 pm

I really believe that at least some people believe that the concept of the Presidency itself is at stake.

I'm sure Obama feels this way.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 2:59 pm

LOL, I'm so old I remember when the US had only one president at a time. Why, I think it was just a few weeks ago! :lol:

White House warns Trump, 'only one president at a time'

In a briefing on the move Friday, Ben Rhodes, deputy national security adviser, said, "On the president-elect, the first thing I'd just say is that there's one president at a time. President Obama is the president of the United States until Jan. 20, and we are taking this action, of course, as U.S. policy."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/white ... le/2610327

Memo to Trump: There can be only one president at a time

One of the hallmarks of our democratic system is its commitment to the peaceful transition of power. This practice comes with two important, linked corollaries that fall under the umbrella that there can be only one president at a time. The first is that the incoming president, especially in the arena of foreign policy, takes care not to trespass on the prerogatives of the incumbent. The second is that the outgoing president, once departed, remains largely mute, giving his successor space to operate unimpeded by post-presidential back-seat carping.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

There Are Four Lights!

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 3:09 pm

Darmok wrote:
LOL, I'm so old I remember when the US had only one president at a time. Why, I think it was just a few weeks ago! :lol:

White House warns Trump, 'only one president at a time'

In a briefing on the move Friday, Ben Rhodes, deputy national security adviser, said, "On the president-elect, the first thing I'd just say is that there's one president at a time. President Obama is the president of the United States until Jan. 20, and we are taking this action, of course, as U.S. policy."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/white ... le/2610327

Memo to Trump: There can be only one president at a time

One of the hallmarks of our democratic system is its commitment to the peaceful transition of power. This practice comes with two important, linked corollaries that fall under the umbrella that there can be only one president at a time. The first is that the incoming president, especially in the arena of foreign policy, takes care not to trespass on the prerogatives of the incumbent. The second is that the outgoing president, once departed, remains largely mute, giving his successor space to operate unimpeded by post-presidential back-seat carping.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

A few weeks ago we had not seen a twitter war with Mexico and a incipient constitutional crisis. Trump is pushing to extremes very quickly. Unusual responses are only to be expected.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Jan 2017, 3:27 pm

Obama's statements are only going to lead to more division

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 3:32 pm

The statement:
"President Obama is heartened by the level of engagement taking place in communities around the country. In his final official speech as president, he spoke about the important role of citizen and how all Americans have a responsibility to be the guardians of our democracy — not just during an election but every day.

"Citizens exercising their constitutional right to assemble, organize, and have their voices heard by their elected officials is exactly what we expect to see when American values are at stake.

"With regard to comparisons to President Obama's foreign policy decisions, as we've heard before, the president fundamentally disagrees with the notion of discriminating against individuals because of their faith or religion."

Business Insider: Obama speaks out on Trump's immigration order: 'American values are at stake'

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 3:39 pm

Jacoby wrote:

Is that like infinity + 1 or what?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 3:57 pm

Scott Adams analyzes the hysteria on the left (which Obama is now stoking):

Be Careful What You Wish For (especially if it is Hitler)

As a trained persuader, I’m seeing a dangerous situation forming that I assume is invisible to most of you. The setup is that during the presidential campaign Trump’s critics accused him of being Hitler(ish) and they were sure other citizens would see it too, thus preventing this alleged monster from taking office. They were wrong. The alleged monster took office.

Now you have literally millions of citizens in the United States who were either right about Trump being the next Hitler, and we will see that behavior emerge from him soon, or they are complete morons. That’s a trigger for cognitive dissonance. The science says these frightened folks will start interpreting all they see as Hitler behavior no matter how ridiculous it might seem to the objective observer. And sure enough, we are seeing that....

But lately I get the feeling that Trump’s critics have evolved from expecting Trump to be Hitler to preferring it. Obviously they don’t prefer it in a conscious way. But the alternative to Trump becoming Hitler is that they have to live out the rest of their lives as confirmed morons. No one wants to be a confirmed moron. And certainly not after announcing their Trump opinions in public and demonstrating in the streets. It would be a total embarrassment for the anti-Trumpers to learn that Trump is just trying to do a good job for America. It’s a threat to their egos. A big one.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1565403158 ... y-if-it-is

There Are Four Lights!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 4:47 pm

Darmok wrote:
Scott Adams analyzes the hysteria on the left (which Obama is now stoking):

Be Careful What You Wish For (especially if it is Hitler)

As a trained persuader, I’m seeing a dangerous situation forming that I assume is invisible to most of you. The setup is that during the presidential campaign Trump’s critics accused him of being Hitler(ish) and they were sure other citizens would see it too, thus preventing this alleged monster from taking office. They were wrong. The alleged monster took office.

Now you have literally millions of citizens in the United States who were either right about Trump being the next Hitler, and we will see that behavior emerge from him soon, or they are complete morons. That’s a trigger for cognitive dissonance. The science says these frightened folks will start interpreting all they see as Hitler behavior no matter how ridiculous it might seem to the objective observer. And sure enough, we are seeing that....

But lately I get the feeling that Trump’s critics have evolved from expecting Trump to be Hitler to preferring it. Obviously they don’t prefer it in a conscious way. But the alternative to Trump becoming Hitler is that they have to live out the rest of their lives as confirmed morons. No one wants to be a confirmed moron. And certainly not after announcing their Trump opinions in public and demonstrating in the streets. It would be a total embarrassment for the anti-Trumpers to learn that Trump is just trying to do a good job for America. It’s a threat to their egos. A big one.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1565403158 ... y-if-it-is

Of course hysteria is a nice word to use when it comes to people seeing reason to use their constitutional right to protest and speak out against things they disagree with that the government is doing. You know who also referred to their oppositions opinions as 'hysteria' the nazis...don't like the comparision then don't give reason for people to make it.

There is nothing moronic about protesting the presidents actions when you think he is making wrong choices, that aren't in the best interest of this country. Sure dismiss it as hysteria, fit throwing and all that...further alienate 'the left' don't try and address conflict and problems, just demonize the side you disagree with, make them out to be the 'enemy'.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 5:00 pm

Obama is a joke. The 7 countries were drawn up under his administration and he bombed them all apart from Iran. He's a scumbag and has no shame.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Jan 2017, 5:04 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Obama is a joke. The 7 countries were drawn up under his administration and he bombed them all apart from Iran. He's a scumbag and has no shame.

and Chuck Schumer never shed a crocodile tear for any of them

Obama is responsible in part for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people in the middle east

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 5:26 pm

Jacoby wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

and Chuck Schumer never shed a crocodile tear for any of them

Obama is responsible in part for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people in the middle east

Didn't catch chuck crying when Netanyahu said he'd build a wall to keep out 'refugees'.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 5:48 pm

Obama has class, Trump is trash.. it's pretty simple to understand.

Trump is running the USA like a business and it's not working. Especially since he is making sure his companies benefit from this! It's conflict of interest- even if people (mainly Trump supporters and the rich elite) refuse to think so.

Republicans need to just impeach him as soon as possible and move on. It's clear Trump wont be a mature man. He would rather be an egomaniac/bully/liar/conman. Sickening!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 12:28 am

Obama is absolutely right. The values that make America the shining city on the hill, such as inclusion and tolerance, are potentially in danger of being wiped away by this new President.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 12:41 am

Jacoby wrote:

I think that's the whole idea. Lack of division equals unity and I don't think the left wants anything resembling unity under Trump.