Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 8:52 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
The whole idea of the Star Trek crew from the beginning was diversity. That's why members the the primary crew were female, African, Asian, Russian, Vulcan etc.

A few jokers make a few hoax tweets and whatever and of course it's supposed to be some big bad alt-right movement threat to freak out over - which is why they do stuff like that. And I wouldn't be surprised if half of it comes from the rad-left.

Reactionaries in the south wouldn't allow Star Trek to be shown back in the '60s due to the integrated crew, so they played the Grand Ol' Oppry instead. Call these reactionaries what you want, but they're all cut from the same cloth.

NBC played the Grand Ol' Oppry in the south instead. Interesting.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 9:12 pm

Local NBC affiliates make those kinds of decisions sometimes, for different reasons.

And it's Opry.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 9:20 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
If it is a plot the groundwork was laid in 1966 when the original series had black female, Asian American, and Vulcan Starship Enterprise crew members. The show had "liberal" plot themes.

The first African-American woman to actually travel in space -- Mae C. Jemison -- had been greatly inspired by Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) in the original Star Trek, so let the non-white females rock on!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 9:52 pm

^
Thanks for that post. That link led me to yet another chapter in the story.

https://youtu.be/pSq_UIuxba8

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 10:26 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Local NBC affiliates make those kinds of decisions sometimes, for different reasons.

And it's Opry.

Really, NBC affiliates got to decide on network broadcasting during primetime back then when there were only 3 networks? Did this apply to other shows like the Mod Squad, Julia, the original Bill Cosby show etc? And was it ABC, CBS and NBC all showing the Grand Ol Opry during network primetime hours or just NBC?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 10:49 pm

EzraS wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

And it's Opry.

Really, NBC affiliates got to decide on network broadcasting during primetime back then when there were only 3 networks? Did this apply to other shows like the Mod Squad, Julia, the original Bill Cosby show etc? And was it ABC, CBS and NBC all showing the Grand Ol Opry during network primetime hours or just NBC?

It makes sense to me that station owners would determine what they broadcast, and no, the networks never show the programming of other networks. They do sometimes all show the same events such as Presidential speeches and such, but even then they each have their own camera crews and commentators.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 10:50 pm

Some places object to certain shows, even today. The local affiliates set the schedule, since they lose ad revenue if people tune out, our get fined if they violate local standards of decency. Shows get rescheduled later for those reasons in some places.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 11:10 pm

If anything, they are discriminating against Andorians.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 11:28 pm

leejosepho wrote:
EzraS wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

And it's Opry.

It makes sense to me that station owners would determine what they broadcast, and no, the networks never show the programming of other networks. They do sometimes all show the same events such as Presidential speeches and such, but even then they each have their own camera crews and commentators.

So people owned their own private pieces of NBC back then and could just completely ignore the NBC parent company? As Spock would say, fascinating. And so while NBC was showing the Grand Ol Opry instead of primetime network programming in the south, was CBS showing Hee Haw instead?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 11:38 pm

EzraS wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
EzraS wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

And it's Opry.

So people owned their own private pieces of NBC back then and could just completely ignore the NBC parent company? As Spock would say, fascinating. And so while NBC was showing the Grand Ol Opry instead of primetime network programming in the south, was CBS showing Hee Haw instead?

CBS didn't show Star Trek, so, no.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 12:06 am

EzraS wrote:
So people owned their own private pieces of NBC back then and could just completely ignore the NBC parent company?

No, people and/or their corporations owned their own local stations that happened to be network affiliates permitted/franchised to broadcast things produced and sent out by the network. The local stations and/or their owners might or might not have owned any network stock, but the networks did not own and/or have sovereign rule over the local stations. Nevertheless, I can certainly imagine a network might pull the franchise of a local station that did *not* show a given percentage (likely most) of whatever the network had produced and sent out to its affiliates for broadcast.

Car dealerships might be an illustrative similarity where the auto companies do not own the dealerships and a given dealership might actually even sell more than one brand of automobile.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 1:30 am

A lot of network affiliates would not broadcast an episode with "suggestive" or rock music or that showed a person interacting with a member of what was the described as the "opposite sex" of another race.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 7:51 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
EzraS wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

And it's Opry.

CBS didn't show Star Trek, so, no.

So it was just Star Trek that was replaced in the south and not other shows featuring non-white primary characters?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 7:55 am

leejosepho wrote:
EzraS wrote:
So people owned their own private pieces of NBC back then and could just completely ignore the NBC parent company?

No, people and/or their corporations owned their own local stations that happened to be network affiliates permitted/franchised to broadcast things produced and sent out by the network. The local stations and/or their owners might or might not have owned any network stock, but the networks did not own and/or have sovereign rule over the local stations. Nevertheless, I can certainly imagine a network might pull the franchise of a local station that did *not* show a given percentage (likely most) of whatever the network had produced and sent out to its affiliates for broadcast.

Car dealerships might be an illustrative similarity where the auto companies do not own the dealerships and a given dealership might actually even sell more than one brand of automobile.

I can see a single episode of Star Trek not airing, like the one where Kirk kisses Uhura. But not an entire series for three years.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 7:57 am

In 1966 there were very few TV shows with nonwhite lead characters.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 8:02 am

naturalplastic wrote:
In 1966 there were very few TV shows with nonwhite lead characters.

But of those few?