Brain of Stephen Paddock to undergo forensic examination

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 6:32 pm

Brain of Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock to undergo forensic examination

Quote:
Scientists are preparing to do a microscopic study of the Las Vegas gunman's brain, but whatever they find, if anything, likely won't be what led him to kill 58 people in the worst mass shooting in modern US history, experts said.

Stephen Paddock's brain is being sent to Stanford University for a months-long examination after a visual inspection during an autopsy found no abnormalities, Las Vegas authorities said.

Doctors will perform multiple forensic analyses, including an exam of the 64-year-old's brain tissue to find any possible neurological problems.

The brain will arrive in California soon, and Stanford has been instructed to spare no expense for the work, The New York Times reported.

It will be further dissected to determine if Paddock suffered from health problems such as strokes, blood vessel diseases, tumors, some types of epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, degenerative disorders, physical trauma and infections.

If a disease is found, experts say it would be false science to conclude it caused or perhaps even contributed to the massacre, even if that explanation would ease the minds of investigators and the world at large.

"There's a difference between association and causality, and just because you have anything, doesn't mean it does anything," said Brian Peterson, president of the National Association of Medical Examiners and chief coroner of Wisconsin's Milwaukee County.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 6:56 pm

One of the first infamous spree shootings in America was at the University of Texas in 1966. Charles Whitman was engineering student who went atop an observation tower of the campus with a rife and started shooting, and killed 16, and wounded 31.

In his autopsy they found a "pecan sized" tumor in his brain. May have had something to do with his crime, or not. Apparently they cant either rule it out nor prove it. But it was there in his head when he did it. Interesting.

According to Wiki one of the wounded victims died in 2001 of "complications due to the bullet". So his body count went up to 17 35 years later.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 6:59 pm

Do you remember where it was? The tumor. If it was in the amygdala, holy crap. (Edit in: or the temporal lobes.)(Second edit: holy crap anyway.)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 7:17 pm

You can Wiki Charles Whitman (the Texas shooter). They have theorized that the tumor pressed against his amyglyda.

The shooting was big news when it happened when I was a child, and years after it happened (but years ago) I read about them finding that tumor in his brain(which apparently wasn't ever talked about in the media much). They go into some technical medical stuff in wiki about it.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 7:52 pm

Will do, thanks - anything messing with the amygdala is bad news. (Or the temporal lobes.)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2017, 3:40 am

Did he shoot himself in the head when commiting suicide? Could be quite a mess to sort through.