Breaking: Active Shooter(s) In Mandalay Bay Hotel (NSFW)

Page 12 of 42 [ 666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 42  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 1:41 pm

Raptor wrote:
We may never know what drove him to do it. In this case I don't think it's a lack of mental healthcare access because he had plenty of money. He probably either didn't think he needed it or did think so but just didn't care.
$hit happens and there isnt always a reason or a solution.

s**t happens because we eat, process the food in our digestive system, and expel what we don't need. I don't think access to available healthcare is the problem, I think it is that healthcare for mental illness is in its infancy. As an amateur mental health enthusiast, I would say he had some anti-social issues. I hope that as new drugs become available to make people's brains function better, these shootings will stop.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 1:42 pm

They are talking on Fox about the guy needing to have some military background to be able to know what guns he needed and how to rig them up to shoot like he did and be able to plan the kind of setup he had. I did read that his father was ex-military. Maybe he learned the stuff from him when he was younger.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 1:48 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
We may never know what drove him to do it. In this case I don't think it's a lack of mental healthcare access because he had plenty of money. He probably either didn't think he needed it or did think so but just didn't care.

s**t happens because we eat, process the food in our digestive system, and expel what we don't need. I don't think access to available healthcare is the problem, I think it is that healthcare for mental illness is in its infancy. As an amateur mental health enthusiast, I would say he had some anti-social issues. I hope that as new drugs become available to make people's brains function better, these shootings will stop.

The problem is people don't always want to take the medications. I have run into several schizophrenics who would be functioning just fine if they took their medication, however, they do not like the side effects. Kind of like manic-depressives - they don't like taking their meds because they like their manic times. It is also difficult to get used to taking meds on schedule. Taking psyche meds is also seen as a weakness to most people - especially men, imo.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 1:54 pm

nurseangela wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Raptor wrote:

The problem is people don't always want to take the medications. I have run into several schizophrenics who would be functioning just fine if they took their medication, however, they do not like the side effects. Kind of like manic-depressives - they don't like taking their meds because they like their manic times. It is also difficult to get used to taking meds on schedule. Taking psyche meds is also seen as a weakness to most people - especially men, imo.

Taking medication for mental health is totally seen as a weakness. I really hope this changes. To me the weakness is in knowing one's flaws and not taking steps to better the situation. I think a lot of people who have schizophrenia and bipolar disorder have probably had some bad experiences with prescription drugs as they have only recently started coming up with drugs that are more effective and have less side effects.
My thinking is that drugs will be developed which people will want to take.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 2:10 pm

Raptor wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Those who immediately talk about gun control in the wake of an event and those that immediately try to tell everyone that they are not allowed to talk about gun control in the wake of an event are just 2 sides of the same coin.

It's in poor taste to use a tragedy like this to further a political agenda and that's what I always see from the anti's. Let them talk about gun control, though. It only helps to expose them as the opportunists that they are.

There are people on both sides using these tragedies to further their political ideas. Some use it to bring up the idea of law changes, some use it to try and shut down all conversation around law changes as that is not what they want to happen.

It's evident just on this thread that it is happening. I am not saying it is a good or bad thing, just that individuals on both sides do it. Different sides of the same coin.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 2:40 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Those who immediately talk about gun control in the wake of an event and those that immediately try to tell everyone that they are not allowed to talk about gun control in the wake of an event are just 2 sides of the same coin.

It's in poor taste to use a tragedy like this to further a political agenda and that's what I always see from the anti's. Let them talk about gun control, though. It only helps to expose them as the opportunists that they are.

There are people on both sides using these tragedies to further their political ideas. Some use it to bring up the idea of law changes, some use it to try and shut down all conversation around law changes as that is not what they want to happen.

It's evident just on this thread that it is happening. I am not saying it is a good or bad thing, just that individuals on both sides do it. Different sides of the same coin.

There is a difference. Someone brought up how 9/11 is being used as a means against Muslims. However, when it is used in this fashion - they are beaten down and called "racists" or "nazis". People who have the right to own guns in the US are labeled names such as "gun nuts" or "fanatics". What label do the people on the Left have to try to discourage them from using such tragedies to further their cause of gun control? I haven't seen any yet. Crazy asses would be a good term if you ask me.

Darn, I flunked.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 2:51 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

There is a difference

Nah

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 2:55 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

There is a difference

Nah

Oh brother. Next.

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 3:06 pm

Interesting.

On Fox they said that Paddock had rented a bunch of condos 10 days ago that looked out over another concert happening in Vegas. Some evidence they have leads them to think he was going to use explosives at that time.

Darn, I flunked.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 4:12 pm

0regonGuy wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
0regonGuy wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Putting aside the usual pro-gun shenanigans from the usual suspects on WP does anybody actually know the shooters objectives? if any?

Why isn't this classified as an act of terrorism?

His objective was to kill as many people as possible, before taking his own life. The attitudes of many people such as all the gun fanatics on this forum, made it incredibly easy for him.

My understanding is that the police took him out before he could reload and continue

What? That is not even close to what happened. Why don't you read what actually happened before you post.

Multiple news sources - so he was holed up in his house with a weapons cache, that's why I'm trying to triangulate and get the facts

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 4:14 pm

nurseangela wrote:
But mine says that she is a "native" of the Philippines. : - p

She may have been born in the Philippines but spent most of her life in Brisbane Australia, I think she even considers herself Australian

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 4:18 pm

Raptor wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

In Australia our most right wing prime minister John Howard himself took steps to limit access to high powered weapons following the port Arthur massacre. At personal risk to himself (he wore a bullet proof vest) he spoke to gun owners about the now famous "gun buy back"
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/john-howa ... o4nd5.html

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 4:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Multiple news sources - so he was holed up in his house with a weapons cache, that's why I'm trying to triangulate and get the facts

It was a hotel room, not one of his houses...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 4:23 pm

B19 wrote:
Care to guess how long it will be before the media starts speculating on the other default, the Asperger's causation of shooting massacres?

To do that they would have to acknowledge "people with Aspergers" over age 25 exist.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 4:25 pm

SH90 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

It was a hotel room, not one of his houses...

Thanks - I'm doing my head in trying to get the actual facts...admittedly some of of our news outlets here in Australia are publishing stuff without checking/verification