White House: "Now Isn't The Time To Talk About Gun Control"

Page 3 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 10:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
LOL...actually, we do talk about the control of food intake when it comes to obesity. Which is peripherally related to "knives, forks, and spoon" control.

Intake is the act.
I've seen no legislation suggested to control or ban eating utensils.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 12:26 pm

I said "peripherally related."

But I get what you mean.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 2:13 pm

Chichikov wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
http://www.theonion.com/article/no-way-prevent-says-only-nation-where-regularly-ha-57086

Quote:
LAS VEGAS—In the hours following a violent rampage in Las Vegas in which a lone attacker killed more than 50 individuals and seriously injured 400 others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Monday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Onion

Quote:
At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past five years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

I'll put it in simple terms you can understand. There's a problem when only the satirists point out the obvious.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 2:16 pm

There's an even bigger problem when people pass stories on not realising they are satire. I think Trump has a phrase for it.....

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 4:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I said "peripherally related."

But I get what you mean.

And both eating utensils and guns are peripheral to the acts, meaning they themselves are not a cause.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 11:37 pm

Plates provide a useful analogy, perhaps. People will take more food, if they have bigger plates. School cafeterias who have eliminated trays have seen reduced obesity among their students.

So, a homicidal maniac will kill a few people with a less powerful gun, but if you give them a bigger gun they will pile on the kills.

Plate control would also save lives.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

05 Oct 2017, 8:57 am

The difference between gun control and plate/utensil control is that the size of your plate cannot necessarily stop you from eating too much...there's also the fact that the only person who's really getting harmed in the end is yourself.

If a person cannot get their hands on a weapon designed to kill mass amounts of people as fast as possible (harming others besides themselves), it won't happen.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 12:15 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Plates provide a useful analogy, perhaps. People will take more food, if they have bigger plates. School cafeterias who have eliminated trays have seen reduced obesity among their students.

Sounds like BS since most students only eat one meal in the school cafeteria and there's nothing to stop them from eating junk food in school out of their backpacks or eating whatever at home.

Quote:
So, a homicidal maniac will kill a few people with a less powerful gun, but if you give them a bigger gun they will pile on the kills.

Maybe you should first learn a little bit about the guns you want to ban. This illusion of "assault rifles" being bigger and more powerful than anything else is laughable. Oh wait, we don't want to confuse you with facts...

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 12:49 pm

Raptor wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Sounds like BS since most students only eat one meal in the school cafeteria and there's nothing to stop them from eating junk food in school out of their backpacks or eating whatever at home.

Quote:

Maybe you should first learn a little bit about the guns you want to ban. This illusion of "assault rifles" being bigger and more powerful than anything else is laughable. Oh wait, we don't want to confuse you with facts...

Stuff your smug strutting. Guns better suited to killing lots of people, if you prefer. Let's ban those.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 12:55 pm

Nekomonster wrote:
If a person cannot get their hands on a weapon designed to kill mass amounts of people as fast as possible (harming others besides themselves), it won't happen.

Too late; due to concern over potential bans during the last administration the AR-15 variants, semi-auto versions of the AK-47 and AK-74, and others became extremely popular and unprecedented amounts of them were sold. The AR-15 is now the most popular rifle in America. Even serious talk in DC of another ban right now would only trigger another sales surge. I'm sure the manufacturers and retailers would love it just as much as they have so far.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 1:02 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Stuff your smug strutting. Guns better suited to killing lots of people, if you prefer. Let's ban those.

I hope you realize that there is a valid sporting purpose for these "evil" rifles... Anything can be used to kill lots of people. Should we ban fertilizer, airplanes, or even trucks?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 1:03 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Quote:

Stuff your smug strutting.

Oh, you mean bringing facts into this? Sorry, but I don't plan on stopping.

Quote:
Guns better suited to killing lots of people, if you prefer. Let's ban those.

Read my reply to Nekomonster. I've stated the same before in several WP gunsz-r-bad threads over the years and in that time those scary guns have only increased in numbers. Good luck with your ban.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 1:08 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Plates provide a useful analogy, perhaps. People will take more food, if they have bigger plates...

That might not be effective with everyone since food can still be piled high on a small plate, but I do think there is some reasonable logic there...and I agree here:

Quote:
"Now...is a time to reflect on what has happened and how we can work constructively on what can be done to curb the impact of these evil, deranged attackers."

"The ATF must re-evaluate these devices, and it is my hope that they conclude these mechanisms violate the spirit, if not the letter, of the law..."

House GOP members write ATF asking for review of bump stocks

Please note: The above is about "what can be done to curb the impact" of this type of criminal usage of guns and not how to keep guns out of people's hands.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 1:12 pm

SH90 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Guns better suited to killing lots of people, if you prefer. Let's ban those.

I hope you realize that there is a valid sporting purpose for these "evil" rifles... Anything can be used to kill lots of people. Should we ban fertilizer, airplanes, or even trucks?

Don't you start. Fertilizer now contains coded microparticles which allow us to trace each batch. Trucks took people by surprise, but we've gotten a lot better at defending against them using other trucks and concrete blocks.

We've had guns capable of killing any animal for quite some time. People collect guns which primarily kill people. The second should stop. Fetishize fake infantry weapons. You can take them home and do whatever you want with them.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 1:18 pm

leejosepho wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Plates provide a useful analogy, perhaps. People will take more food, if they have bigger plates...

That might not be effective with everyone since food can still be piled high on a small plate, but I do think there is some reasonable logic there...and I agree here:

Quote:
"Now...is a time to reflect on what has happened and how we can work constructively on what can be done to curb the impact of these evil, deranged attackers."

"The ATF must re-evaluate these devices, and it is my hope that they conclude these mechanisms violate the spirit, if not the letter, of the law..."

leejosepho wrote:
Please note: The above is about "what can be done to curb the impact" of this type of criminal usage of guns and not how to keep guns out of people's hands.

Someone who shows no signs of having a problem, then, can get any kind of gun they want?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 1:32 pm

leejosepho wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Quote:

They are attempting to offer up a sacrificial lamb when they probably don't even need to. I think bump stocks are idiotic but I don't support banning them.