Autism genetic diagnosing patent granted

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 12:52 am

LabCorp patents autism diagnosis method

Quote:
The method, invented by David Michael Margulies and Mark Firman Bear of Massachusetts, involves taking a tissue or body sample from a subject and then conducting a test to identify variant sequences in the subject’s genetic code, which may signify “the presence or an increased risk of developing autism spectrum disorders.” Testing can be done on children and fetuses, according to the patent.

The method is stated to aid in the diagnosis of five autism spectrum disorders, all of which fall under the umbrella of pervasive developmental disorders: autistic disorder, Asperger’s disorder, childhood disintegrative disorder, Rett’s disorder, and nonspecific pervasive developmental disorders.

The method claims to have multiple applications, each of which provides insight into the biological basis of autism spectrum disorders through different lenses.

First, the testing of a body sample and the finding of variant sequences could lead to comparison with known variant sequences linked to autism spectrum disorders, which could lead to a more definitive diagnosis. In similar cases, entirely new variant sequences may be found, and their link to autism spectrum disorders may be analyzed.

In some more detailed applications of the method, a subject’s nucleic acids from specific gene sequences may be analyzed for mutations or variants linked to autism spectrum disorders, which may provide information on the development and expression of the disorders. Comparison of these nucleic acids could be dne between samples obtained from subjects known to have autism spectrum disorders, and subjects without.

Eugenics here we come

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 3:57 pm

So does this test profile "all" people with autism or just a cross section?

For example Fragile X testing is sometimes misreported as a genetic test for autism but only actually applies to 10% of the autistic population

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 10:39 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Eugenics here we come

Don't be so melodramatic. If the same were developed for, for example, sociopathy, would you still say this? The ideology of 'neurodiversity' is, after all, about including everyone who is in any sense outside the norm when it comes to the expression of neurological traits, so you would have to be (for the sake of consistency, and so as not to appear to be a hypocrite) against the development of treatments for psychopathy, sociopathy, schizophrenia, and every other such malady as well. Are you though?

This is GOOD news indeed! To all of those professional victims out there who say that a treatment or cure would mean that they would simply not be the same person anymore... yes, you would become a BETTER person! Don't be so afraid of change. Welcome it.

eeVenye
Raven
Raven

08 Jan 2018, 11:45 pm

Lintar wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Eugenics here we come

Don't be so melodramatic.

Denmark and Iceland have "cured" Down Syndrome, via eugenics so the concern is real:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/down-syndrome-iceland/

https://www.dailywire.com/news/24392/denmark-only-four-down-syndrome-babies-born-2016-paul-bois

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 12:58 am

eeVenye wrote:
Denmark and Iceland have "cured" Down Syndrome, via eugenics so the concern is real:

Doesn't it largely depend on whether the test actually picks up all types of autism??

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 3:47 am

Lintar wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Eugenics here we come

Don't be so melodramatic. If the same were developed for, for example, sociopathy, would you still say this?

Probably not because I usually just concentrate on autism stories and would not even know about anything similar happaning with sociopathy. While acceptable to more people it would still be potential eugenics, death penelty for assumed potential burdens to society.

Eugenic cures are different then treatments.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 6:48 pm

eeVenye wrote:
Lintar wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Eugenics here we come

Don't be so melodramatic.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/down-syndrome-iceland/

https://www.dailywire.com/news/24392/denmark-only-four-down-syndrome-babies-born-2016-paul-bois

The real problem here is that countries like Denmark and Iceland allow abortions to be performed for any, and no, reasons whatsoever. I'm sure that those who like to indulge in nasty things like this will find a reason - any will do - to kill their child. People are very, very good at justifying their horrible deeds to others (and themselves).