Study - “Brain Reliability” diferent in everyone.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 2:11 am

NEW DEVELOPMENT REPORTED ON AUTISM, ADHD DIAGNOSES

Quote:
Do you trust your brain? Researchers from Ben-Gurion University of the Negev have shown that every adult has unique brain reliability. This and other findings, published in eNeuro, the new flagship, peer-reviewed journal of the International Society of Neuroscience, offer the possibility of better identification and more accurate assessment for neurological and psychiatric disorders, including autism and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Most people assume that their brain is a stable and reliable tool that works consistently. But amazingly, our brain responses are very different from those of other people. Even when we see the same object over and over again, our brains react differently each time, and the variation is surprising in size (difference is the opposite of reliability). It is even more surprising that each of us has a different level of difference/reliability that characterizes us throughout most of our adult lives.

Most people assume that their brain is a stable and reliable tool that works consistently. But amazingly, our brain responses are very different from those of other people. Even when we see the same object over and over again, our brains react differently each time, and the variation is surprising in size (difference is the opposite of reliability). It is even more surprising that each of us has a different level of difference/reliability that characterizes us throughout most of our adult lives.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 2:56 am

Interesting, but the juxtaposition of these two lines seems strange to me somehow...

Quote:
too much reliability probably leads to fixation, inability to change, problems in learning new skills and adapting behavior to unfamiliar situations. We plan to examine this issue in humans in other studies in our lab.”

At the same time, the team used EEG records during sleep in young children to test whether low brain reliability is an early marker of autism.

The "probable" attributes given for "too much reliability" seem like stereotypical autistic traits to me, so I'm intrigued to know why they are testing for "low reliability" in the children (assuming it is not a journalistic error.)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 12:45 pm

I wonder how this relates to the old saying, "consistency is a hobgoblin of small minds"?