Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 2:28 pm

"An Oregon resident was diagnosed with the plague. Here are a few things to know about the illness"

Quote:
Plague isn't common, but it also isn't unheard of in the western United States, where a handful of cases occur every year. It's different from Alaskapox, a rare, recently discovered disease that killed a man in Alaska last month.
:!: Alaskapox?!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 2:56 pm

Ive long heard about campers getting plague in the "Four Corners Area" of the Southwest where colorado, N.M., Arizona, and Utah, meet. Getting it from local wild rodent fleas.

But Ive never heard of "Alaskapox" either.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 3:05 pm

The plague reminds me of the Black Death.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 3:13 pm

belijojo wrote:
The plague reminds me of the Black Death.

Same thing.

The "Black Death" that swept across western Asia and Europe in the Middle Ages, and killed millions, is the same disease as "the Black Plague".

It causes black splotches on your face.

The US had an out break in the frontier days of the 1800s caused by rats on ships coming into San Francisco from China.

Australia had an outbreak at about the same time. In Australia it eventually disappeared. But in the American West it persists in certain geographic pockets to this day.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 3:37 pm

A passenger on a jetstar flight in Australia was diagnosed with measles
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lifes ... 07689b535b

Authorities are on high alert. So extinct bugs can (without warning) make a come back

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 10:09 pm

I'm surprised no one has posted this little bit of entertainment yet . . .

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 11:05 pm

Praie dogs here potentially can spred the plauge but apprently now days it is pretty easy to treat. but yeah wa got a bunch of prarire dogs in my state and they can carry it, but have not really heard many cases of people getting it from them...even though they will go close up to get pictures of them....I think it is more a risk if one of them bites you. rathther than if you just get close enough for a picture.

there are signs around the park to warn people not to get too close to the prarie dogs as they may spread stuff like that, no one really listents and there hasn't been an outbreak yet...but it could happen.