Teacher sues NYC schools for reverse racism - slavery lesson

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 8:29 am

White social studies teacher ousted over slavery lesson plans to sue over reverse racism

Quote:
A white Bronx social studies teacher facing termination for a controversial lesson on slavery says she is the victim of reverse-racism — and has filed a lawsuit, which her lawyer says could be worth $1 billion.

The notorious teacher’s attorney even says white teachers who work in the Bronx deserve combat pay.

The Daily News exclusively reported in February that Middle School 118 teacher Patricia Cummings singled out black students and told them to lie on the floor for a lesson on U.S. slavery — and then stepped on their backs to show them what it felt like, according to several students and one staffer.

The story sparked protests and reactions from an array of elected officials – but Cummings says in a Notice of Claim filed in anticipation of a lawsuit against “the city, parents, students and the media” that the account of the lesson is all wrong. She says she was the victim of reverse discrimination, defamation, negligence and other claims worth the eye-popping sum.

Her Notice of Claim — which says she’s owed $120 million in damages — even states that the lawsuit could become a class action reverse racism suit worth upwards of $1 billion.

In Cummings’ version of the lesson on Jan. 9, she took advantage of a “teachable moment” after showing a five-minute clip from the movie “Freedom.”
She says she asked four student volunteers to sit close together to show the “cramped conditions” aboard a slavery ship crossing the Middle Passage.
Bu she denied that any child laid on the floor at any time during the demonstration and denied making any physical contact with any student.

This story triggered a memory I had long forgotten about but which is relevant in light of current events. It was the late 1970s, first day in Philosophy 101. The proffessor said his first thought upon seeing the coeds in class was raping them. After a few audible gasps he said something along the lines he would not do it because of ethics.

Of course we are talking middle school students not the college student I was. I would have give consideration that it was an overdone tone deaf attempt to have the students feel the pain of being a slave and singled out for slavery based on their race if not for the money she is seeking and wording used in the suit. Now my thinking is the lesson was a deliberate provocation to gain money and make a political point.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 9:52 am

Racism is racism is racism. "Reverse racism" is....racism. Someone who believes in racism is a racist. Someone who believes in reverse racism is.........a racist.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 7:38 am

Ohh I remember the days when people would say “reverse racism.” It took awhile for The Jeffersons to sink in.

Professors and I guess teachers are always having awkward moments.

I once was forced to take a grad class in the Edu department. They helpfully told me (professor and students) throughout the class, that you guys, autistic people, are second class citizens compared to me, a neurotypical person. They would not acknowledge how offensive that was, despite my patient explanations. I ended up with a B for that course, after getting an A on every assignment. I counted myself lucky to be out of there.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 10:31 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I would have give consideration that it was an overdone tone deaf attempt to have the students feel the pain of being a slave and singled out for slavery based on their race if not for the money she is seeking and wording used in the suit. Now my thinking is the lesson was a deliberate provocation to gain money and make a political point.

That's exactly what it sounds like and is.

What teacher in their right mind ever tells ANY students to get on the floor so that they can STEP on them? If per chance she didn't inflict pain, it's blatantly degrading singled out students for being different in front of the rest of the class.

In any version of this story, the teacher would be found negligent and any parent would be outraged at how their son or daughter was treated.

I can just imagine the rest of the manners in which she teaches:

"Okay, can we have our queer guys hold hands - okay every, chant how repugnant they are for our history on Stonewall."

"Men, for the rest of the week you're going to get to tell these women what to do and they have to be obedient to you since this week we teach about the Women's Rights and Suffrage movement!"

"Christians go into this room with the angry dog, your lives may be put in danger, but this is to teach how the Romans used to treat you."

That's not teaching, that's bizarre degradation.

I am interested in seeing how Fox supports this woman though, Hannity: "Since when can't teachers STEP on students to prove their point? Back in my day, students were HIT with rulers. Those were GOOD days, but according to 'liberals' we can't even STEP on a student anymore or else it's child abuse!" Getting Fox to weirdly support child abuse that's how you "own the libs" - then, Trump, like always picks up on it and agrees with Fox. Welcome to 2018.