UC San Diego got $4.7 million research med marijuana autism

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 3:23 am

University of California, San Diago just got 4.7 billion to research CBD for autism It is the largest private donation ever given to cannibus in the U.S.

Quote:
A major university has just received the largest private donation ever for medical cannabis research in the U.S. The University of California, San Diego received $4.7 million to investigate CBD as a treatment for the symptoms of autism. The donation comes from the Ray and Tye Noorda Foundation in partnership with the Wholistic Research and Education Foundation.

It is a major win both for autism and cannabis research. Despite a wealth of anecdotal evidence, there is scarcely any rigorous research into CBD’s ability to treat the symptoms of autism. As a result, autism is rarely considered to be a qualifying condition for medical marijuana.

It is becoming more apparent that CBD has a number of effects on the central nervous system that may be relevant to autism and there are anecdotal reports suggesting CBD treatments may improve functioning in an ASD child,” said Igor Grant, director and chair of the Department of Psychiatry at the UC San Diego School of Medicine, in a press release.

One reason CBD may work to treat autism is that some of the most challenging symptoms associated with the condition, like an inability to focus and anxiety, are thought to be related to the presence of dysfunctional cannabinoid receptors in the body’s endocannabinoid system. CBD, which stimulates activity in these cannabinoid receptors, might then be used to balance out autistic individuals’ endocannabinoid system.

This is partially what UCSD hopes to determine with an upcoming multidisciplinary investigation.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 05 May 2018, 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 3:24 am

Finally. I've had about enough persecution over staying healthy.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 3:06 pm

Bump so everybody can read this.

I've been using CBD for years. It's only recently that it's available in extracted isolate form but THC & other cannabinoids have their own health benefits. I usually stick to CBD hash oils but the non-psychoactive isolate does the job great without gluing me to the couch.

I strongly encourage people to give it a try. CBD is unscheduled as a controlled substance, at least stateside & it's available online.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 5:03 am

cberg wrote:

I've been using CBD for years. It's only recently that it's available in extracted isolate form but THC & other cannabinoids have their own health benefits. I usually stick to CBD hash oils but the non-psychoactive isolate does the job great without gluing me to the couch.

I strongly encourage people to give it a try. CBD is unscheduled as a controlled substance, at least stateside & it's available online.

How do you consume CBD? Burn? Vape?

What's the difference in effect of consuming CBD however you do vs. just smoking whole bud?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 9:20 am

I just recently started using CBD oil. I can't say what effect, if any, it has, yet.

We were told by the proprietor of the specialty health foods/supplements store, that there are two types of cannabinoid receptors in the body. Some of the oils have a higher concentration of those that act in the brain, for things like seizures and anxiety (CBD 1). Other oils have a higher concentration of those in the peripheral nervous system, for things like pain (CBD 2).

We (husband and I) took the CBD oil at low dose a couple weeks but then kind of slid into not using it. It did seem to help with his pain, and taken at bedtime, we both slept well. I started again today because my depression has been keeping me down. But we bought the CBD 2 rich type, so I am not sure it would do much for a mental effect. I would say the jury is still out. It's rather expensive, and of course, is not covered by insurance.

I'm very interested in this subject though, so I thought I'd bump this thread. Personally, I'd rather try CBD oil than a poop transplant.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 9:28 am

goldfish21 wrote:

What's the difference in effect of consuming CBD however you do vs. just smoking whole bud?

The kind I use comes as an extract oil in a small bottle with a dropper. You place a drop or several under your tongue for a rapid effect.

They also sell vape versions which are the very fastest to get to your brain. I don't vape and don't want to start.

The difference between CBD oil and smoking weed is you don't get any (or you get negligible amounts) of THC when you use the oil. So you don't get high, elated, giggly, hungry, horny, etc. Or at least I didn't. I am not looking for altered states of consciousness, just symptom relief. Another difference is you aren't taking anything into your lungs. I can't see how smoking grass is better for your lungs than smoking tobacco.

Different strains of marijuana have differing properties, as many users know. If you go into a pot dispensary, say in Colorado where recreational use is legal, the bud-tenders can steer you to just the right one for the effects you want. If you tend to get paranoid with weed, they know strains with less of that effect, for instance. They also sell edibles as well as weed to be smoked.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 9:48 am

it grows as the same plant, but contains only CBD and no THC
so no high or stoned effect, but it works well on mood, or (depressing) thoughtloops
for sleep you can also try hops, (which is also a Cannabaceae,) in eg, herbal tea

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2018, 9:54 am

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but I really don't think that following the current fad for suggesting that Cannabis can cure everything is the way to go. People said all the same things about nicotine, alcohol and just about every other mood altering substance. There are always people who want to block out reality and such people tend to be attracted to the stoner lifestyle.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 10:56 am

nephets wrote:
Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but I really don't think that following the current fad for suggesting that Cannabis can cure everything is the way to go. People said all the same things about nicotine, alcohol and just about every other mood altering substance. There are always people who want to block out reality and such people tend to be attracted to the stoner lifestyle.

Don't worry about raining on our parade. You don't present any facts, only opinions, so we'll disregard your post.

There is increasing evidence that CBD oil is very effective in reducing seizures in some children. The reason there is little evidence (other than anecdote) for other effects is because marijuana has been demonized as a "stoner" drug and it was not available to study. (Don't believe me? Check out 'Reefer Madness' on Youtube.)

Marijuana is a very ancient herbal remedy, so it is ripe for investigation. Overdue, you might say.

Anyway, since a lot of us have maxed out the offerings of commercial pharmacology and still have troubling symptoms, nothing is preventing us from doing an N=1 study on ourselves (self-experimentation).

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 2:00 pm

nephets wrote:

No one is suggesting it's a cure for everything. People learned panaceas were a myth early in the 20th century. Even getting stoned out of my mind doesn't block out reality. Worst case scenario I need more coffee.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 2:41 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
cberg wrote:

Sort of both. I tend to dab concentrates with a bubbler & torch although since it helps to have some other cannabinoids I'll mix those in & when I'm lucky I find CBD flower, which in general I'd call the most relaxing overall.

My tolerance is a bit troublesome but so is life so I'm reconciled. I'd never get anything done otherwise.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2018, 4:42 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
nephets wrote:

Don't worry about raining on our parade. You don't present any facts, only opinions, so we'll disregard your post.

There is increasing evidence that CBD oil is very effective in reducing seizures in some children. The reason there is little evidence (other than anecdote) for other effects is because marijuana has been demonized as a "stoner" drug and it was not available to study. (Don't believe me? Check out 'Reefer Madness' on Youtube.)

Marijuana is a very ancient herbal remedy, so it is ripe for investigation. Overdue, you might say.

Anyway, since a lot of us have maxed out the offerings of commercial pharmacology and still have troubling symptoms, nothing is preventing us from doing an N=1 study on ourselves (self-experimentation).

No I haven't offered any facts, because there really is no evidence that Cannabinoids actually are any use for any illnesses, other than anecdotal. There is, however, quite a lot of good science suggesting that they do increase the risk of mental ill-health, particularly schizophrenia. I am wary of the Evangelical side of those pushing Cannabis. There are too many people who conflate something that makes you feel good, with useful medicine. I hope Cannabis helps with your symptoms, but if it does, it is very unlikely to be doing you any good, physically. I also have maxed out on the clinically researched, peer-reviewed medicine, but that does not make me lower my natural scepticism enough to make me think that an ancient drug, with a long history of turning people into morons, is going to help. The societies which used Cannabinoids were not exactly successful ones. They were and are primitive and chaotic. I have seen Reefer Madness and yes it is propaganda, but so is half the nonsense pushed by the 'medical marijuana' industry. Always follow the money and these people wish to make a lot of it. Perhaps modern medicine cannot cure us, but that does not mean that this sort of thing will. I would say, however, that Prozac does keep me alive and wards off anxiety and depression. Being sceptical of modern medicine is very much a First World luxury.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 7:13 pm

That is not true, that there is no evidence of any therapeutic effects of cannabis. I was going to paste some citations but then I decided I couldn't be arsed. (Not because I'm a habitual toker, btw. I just don't care that much about convincing you.)

Research is very promising about CBD oil for children with severe seizure disorders. Research supporting cannabis for cancer chemotherapy side effects, glaucoma, and a few other conditions has been around for a long time. There are also preliminary reports about CBD oil use in autism. If you are interested, try Google Scholar.

Your argument is also weakened by the fact that you are failing to distinguish between CBD and THC, which suggests you are not very familiar with the subject.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 3:35 am

Hmm, good thread. Thanks for all the posts.

Cannabis has a plethora of medicinal uses. Anyone who's ever consumed it in any form can confirm this.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 4:07 am

nephets wrote:
No I haven't offered any facts, because there really is no evidence that Cannabinoids actually are any use for any illnesses, other than anecdotal...

Plenty of evidence available if you chose to do some research, your posts just show how uninformed you are.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2018, 11:54 am

OK, links to the 'evidence' please? And no, links to a 'medical marijuana' companies website is not evidence.