Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 12:18 am

I was just about to post this....

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 12:31 am

How small is that town to have just one gamer on XBox live???! !! That's the first thing that came to my mind.

Ya know what will happen next, right? Teenage boys everywhere will change their location to Fort Gay just to see what happens. :roll:

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 2:19 am

Dilbert wrote:
How small is that town to have just one gamer on XBox live???! !! That's the first thing that came to my mind.

According to the article

Quote:
Fort Gay is a community of about 800 in Wayne County, along West Virginia's western border with Kentucky.

But the really stupid part is this:

Quote:
Fort Gay Mayor David Thompson also tried to intervene, but with little success. Thompson told television station WSAZ, which first reported the dispute, that he was informed the city's name didn't matter. The word "gay," he was told, was inappropriate in any context.

So even after finding out the name was real, they still refused to un-ban the guy. Acted like true bureaucrats.

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2010, 3:53 am

It reminds me of the Scunthorpe Problem.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 3:58 am

Sallamandrina wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

According to the article

Quote:
Fort Gay is a community of about 800 in Wayne County, along West Virginia's western border with Kentucky.

But the really stupid part is this:

Quote:
Fort Gay Mayor David Thompson also tried to intervene, but with little success. Thompson told television station WSAZ, which first reported the dispute, that he was informed the city's name didn't matter. The word "gay," he was told, was inappropriate in any context.

So even after finding out the name was real, they still refused to un-ban the guy. Acted like true bureaucrats.

that is mega stupid.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Sep 2010, 5:53 am

Dilbert wrote:
Ya know what will happen next, right? Teenage boys everywhere will change their location to Fort Gay just to see what happens. :roll:

:oops: I was just thinking about doing that.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 5:55 am

Microsoft + Xbox Live = lol.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Sep 2010, 6:13 am

This is why I'm a PC gamer. I'm starting to think Microsoft has a bit too much control these days.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 11:42 am

LO! Yes they acted like bureaucrats. There's a reason for that behavior. Their jobs are scripted. They have a rule book they must follow. The rules are written down for them by someone else... someone higher up with little or no connection to the actual work. That makes them removed from the reality and so the asinine rules reflect that.

The worker-bees often feel they could be disciplined if they used initiative and followed their own best judgment rather than following some illogical rule. So they follow the rules to the letter to avoid getting in trouble. Whatever happens they can just point to the operations manual and say: "see it is written right there!"

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 11:46 am

As an equitable remedy for this, I say Microsoft should pay his XBox Live fees for the rest of his life.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 11:51 am

Buy a PS3 then protest by burning an Xbox 360 :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 12:36 pm

That's stupid.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 1:22 pm

Dilbert wrote:
The worker-bees often feel they could be disciplined if they used initiative and followed their own best judgment rather than following some illogical rule.

You're making a big assumption as to the quality of the average worker's "best judgement". The average worker might think it appropriate to ban all users with first-name Gayle.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 1:30 pm

Selective quoting there, eh?

I said following illogical rules.

Let's say a new rule came down to ban all users with first name Gayle. They would, even if it were obvious that was just a mistake and the rule was going to be rescinded tomorrow.

That's what I was talking about.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 7:27 pm

This is silly.
I guess it is also hard for gamers in Dildo, Newfoundland as well since their town is named Dildo.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dildo,_New ... d_Labrador

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!