Girl of 10 diagnoses self with Asperger's Syndrome

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 8:23 pm

Quote:
A girl of 10 diagnosed herself with Asperger's Syndrome while reading a children's book on autism

Sounds pretty aspie

Quote:
to better understand her brother's condition.

:? Oh. So there was a motive. Well now I'm not sure.

Then again. Brother. Genetic basis. Hm.

Hmmmmmm.......

Anyway, I also wish I could cash in on my medical problems.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 8:37 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:
Blimey. If I'd known my suspicions could get me money from a newspaper back then, I would've sold my story!

Seriously though, how did that get in the news?

My thoughts exactly. Though bear in mind this is Yorkshire. Believe me, every day is a slow news day in Yorkshire. Then something HAPPENS (like the bomb/drugs/not-quite-sure scare at my school), and do they report it? Do they hell.

y es como un semestre"

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 9:49 am

i didn't know about AS until after i was diagnosed, yet i always knew i was 'different'... if i knew about the information i probably would have been able to diagnose myself :?

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 1:24 pm

My mother told me about AS when I was nine and I immediately thought "yes, that's me alright". I had lived since I was three with an "autistic features" diagnosis and the description of AS had me completely convinced that I was almost normal.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 1:59 pm

When I was her age, I did everything in my power to convince people that I didn't have AS.

I worked out from a young age that having AS was liable to get me excluded from PE, assembly and the library. The other kids thought that I was "diseased" because I was getting help so avoided me and wouldn't play with me.

I desperately tried to copy the other kids and be nice to them to try and blend in. It didn't work. I watched documentaries about AS and tried to deny that I had it. I tried to behave the opposite way to the people in the documentaries so that others would accept me. It was so horribly confusing. I kept asking questions, but couldn't get any straight or sensible answers from anybody.

I felt different because I was me!

I thought that everyone else was silly and I was the normal, fun and sensible one.

I honestly didn't believe that there was anything "wrong" with me until other people outside my family claimed there was. My family never had problems with who I was at all.

I noticed AS parallels with myself, but thought that it was a clever plot to get me to hate myself by only emphasising the negative aspects of my personality. They wanted to make me feel utterly useless and stupid: for a while, they succeeded.

I will keep on denying that I "have" anything "wrong" with me because that's what my parents and teachers advised I should do. I'm still in denial today, but how could I deny having something others don't think even exists?