Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 3:51 am

Its amazing what how a simple fix could extend human life by a large degree but is it the right thing to do??? I mean if everyone starts taking this then death rates per year will go down while the number of people being born will go up. Which is worth a normal lifespan or hundreds of millions more people starving to death a year???

Perhaps we could put laws into place to limit the number of children born to around 2 then make it mandatory for both parents to get fixed, while leaving the door open for them to adopt as many children as they want ^_^

mystyc
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2008, 4:07 am

Looks legit.

The supplement "resveratrol" used in part of the study, can be found over the counter, like at Walgreens, http://www.walgreens.com/store/product. ... sku3112748 .

For those not interested in life extension, I have some nice poisons you can try.

I'd probably start taking the stuff, if I was not thinking in the other direction...

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 4:41 am

I am the only one who see this as a bad thing if we are not careful, I mean as people live longer that means more people are going to inhabit the planet which means their will be less food, water etc. to go around. If we can get out population to shrink yes this stuff could be nice to have but if our population goes up further millions more will starve, and more countries will fight over our already finite resources. Look at history when resources are scarce countries have no problem killing one another to ensure their kind survive even at the expense of eradicating anyone or anything that stands in their way.

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 6:51 am

Talk about a can of worms.....

Yes this could stress the planets resources but....

They don't say how long you would live and in what shape you would be.
Would perhaps this be an indefinate process? where you could life for centuries? - birth would then have to be eliminated. and is what shape would you be? Longevity with out youth would be pointless.

The other factor is what I would not like, If say they extend life by 40 years. Do those years mean good health? If so then damn that means I would have to work for a living 40 more years> yikes.

Or does that mean I can be retired for 40 years? -- Damn, I don't have that kind of money to support my self for 40 years. Or is it a 50/50 thing? work 20, retire extra 20? -- Retirement still takes a lot of money which still means I would have to work like a son-of-a-bitch to get enough to do that too. Or if they let you live longer but you age at a slower rate then you get to have aches and pains for longer - or more diseases?

What if your life is an emotional/phycological hell - won't that be fun for an extra 40 years.

And could you really stand being married to someone for 100 years? Marriage and Family dichotomy would certainly alter. I could potenially be a great-great-great grandmother while still alive. -- And who would get stuck fixing dinner for family celebrations? Huh? asnwer that one. Let alone the cost of gifts and keeping track of birthdays. Oh, and then there is the factor of maybe having your parents around an extra fourty years, giving you advice and having to go over and move thier furnature and do the yard work for them. Or maybe the 40 years starts after you are born, do you have to support your children for an extra 20 or 40 years?

More than likely it would be only for rich people. Who would continue to prosper and eventually take total control of the government and all finances, while putting the poor and sickly on reservations. (actually they do this already, like gated communities vs ghettos - only it would be even more dramatic)

All in all - I would say this is a bad idea.

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.