Job applications dropped on occupy Chicago protestors

Page 1 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 2:34 am

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

In the middle of an Occupy Chicago teach-in this week, traders at the Chicago Board of Trade dumped several sheets of paper on top of the heads of protesters below. Demonstrators were angered to find out they were showered with employment applications for McDonald’s.

“Real class acts, the Chicago Board of Trade,” tweeted Occupy Chicago. “This week, it’s McDonald’s job applications they litter from the windows. Soulless place.”

This is the second incident between the two groups, following Chicago Board of Trade’s “We Are The 1%” missive plastered on their windows last month.

Washington Times freelancer Peter Bella reports that unlike other cities, the Occupy Chicago movement “does not have a permanent encampment. They have a one half block stretch each on LaSalle Street and Jackson Boulevard,” across the street from the Board Of Trade, and have been relatively peaceful.

Here are the sheets the traders dropped on demonstrators:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/traders-from-chicago-board-of-trade-dump-mcdonalds-applications-on-occupy-chicago-protesters/

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 3:52 am

John_Browning wrote:

In the middle of an Occupy Chicago teach-in this week, traders at the Chicago Board of Trade dumped several sheets of paper on top of the heads of protesters below. Demonstrators were angered to find out they were showered with employment applications for McDonald’s.

“Real class acts, the Chicago Board of Trade,” tweeted Occupy Chicago. “This week, it’s McDonald’s job applications they litter from the windows. Soulless place.”

This is the second incident between the two groups, following Chicago Board of Trade’s “We Are The 1%” missive plastered on their windows last month.

Washington Times freelancer Peter Bella reports that unlike other cities, the Occupy Chicago movement “does not have a permanent encampment. They have a one half block stretch each on LaSalle Street and Jackson Boulevard,” across the street from the Board Of Trade, and have been relatively peaceful.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/traders-from-chicago-board-of-trade-dump-mcdonalds-applications-on-occupy-chicago-protesters/

I doubt the McDonald's actually had job openings. It's actually rather difficult to get a job there because it's marketing campaigns during the 80's, which were strongly directed at inner city demographics, caused the franchise to become firmly cemented in the psyche of those cultures and the company is seen as a good employer that offers opportunity for advancement. During their last recruiting drive, people were lined up out the door to apply for jobs and they believed rather firmly that the positions they were applying for were not dead end jobs.

And with respect to us, it's not a very AS/ASD friendly place because of the noise and smells and the fact that one has to work very quickly.

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 4:12 am

I get the sarcasm. It's pretty funny at the time, but it all depends on how the press react.

When I heard St Paul's was closed due to the camp there, I wasn't impressed but stayed neutral, but since I've heard that it's now being used as a toilet by the camp I'm turning against them. I support the message, mind, but it's the wrong area and disrespectful to such an iconic place. I don't get why they didn't goto Canary either.

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 5:42 am

John_Browning wrote:

McDonald's refused to give me a job in the mid-1970's because of my university studies at UNM would result in me being too fleeting for better jobs. Their application required listing ALL education too, as most conservative business people just recommend not telling the truth unless a person is particularly dealing with them. McDonald's again refused me positions for accounting/administration in the 1980's after my also majoring in business at SJSU and graduating in the top 3%, but then, my lack of fast food experience was disqualifying.

In history, the top 1% also thought the beginning of the French Revolution was hilarious also, at least until their heads were on the line.

Tadzio

number5
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 9:03 am

Where I live, there are countless openings for minimum wage jobs. Every store I visit has a sign in the window. Some of it is holiday hiring, but not all of it. My husband has been looking to fill a handfull of openings for permanent minimum wage positions and is having a very hard time finding people. For every interview he sets up, about half don't even show. I've been telling him (jokingly) that he should stop by the Occupy Philly camps and hand out applications, but in reality, that's not what the people are protesting about. And many of the protestors have jobs.

A minimum wage job wouldn't even cover student loan payments, let alone rent, food, or transportation. Even those without student loans, a minimum wage job still doesn't cover all the basics for a single person (not where I live anyway). If dependents are involved, forget about it. All a minimum wage job does is support a working poor class who are dependent on government assistance in one form or another to make ends meet. Some 49 million Americans are on food stamps. This is why. People who work hard deserve a living wage. That's, in part, what those protests are about.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 9:29 am

Then why does your husband not offer a living wage in the positions that are open? There is nothing stopping him from offering more money other than the fact that he would lose money on every worker.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 10:44 am

Yes because if all the protesters go get a job at Mcdonalds that will fix everything, I can see why they where pissed.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 11:16 am

Aha, a joke that's plainly offensive and worthy of the greatest disrespect. They're being stuck up their arse with callous mockery. Do they even deserve to be cared about when all they can do is be snide?

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 11:25 am

The OWSer's are overqualified for McJobs. They don't want them anyways. Exclaiming that these jobs will soon be the only jobs available for a big portion of the population is a facet of their demonstrations.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 12:25 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Yes because if all the protesters go get a job at Mcdonalds that will fix everything, I can see why they where pissed.

However paltry a job at the local restaurant is, it is still better than standing around and doing nothing useful. Even if one cannot get a paying job there are a lot of volunteer activities that can be done.

Better something than nothing. It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

ruveyn

number5
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 12:34 pm

demeus wrote:
Then why does your husband not offer a living wage in the positions that are open? There is nothing stopping him from offering more money other than the fact that he would lose money on every worker.

He's a manager, not an owner. He's got the green light for minimum wage and can stretch it up to maybe $8.50 or $9, but anything over that would put his own job in jeopardy (and his boss would just let the "overpaid" workers go anyway). His store would not lose a significant amount of money by shelling out a living wage, especially when you consider that happy employees (those that can feed their families) provide much better customer service than pissed off ones (those who work 2+ jobs and still can't make the rent). In the service industry, which is where my husband works, a smile goes a long way and translates to higher sales. But in our age of let's scrape the barrel for the cheapest possible solution, it's hard for those at the top to look past initial cost and see workers as the investment they ought to be.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 1:20 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

However paltry a job at the local restaurant is, it is still better than standing around and doing nothing useful. Even if one cannot get a paying job there are a lot of volunteer activities that can be done.

Better something than nothing. It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

ruveyn

Uhh hello, they are standing out in the streets protesting....how is that nothing useful, I think its a hell of a lot more useful than cooking and serving absolutly disgusting greasy Mcdonalds food too people who could probably afford to lose a couple pounds.

I guess the question is what is wrong with protesting and getting their opinions heard? why should the go get a sh*t job at Mcdonalds instead(provided they're even hiring, don't think there's much fast food work left where I live and even if there was its too fast paced for me.) or volunteer instead of use their right to assemble?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 1:22 pm

number5 wrote:
demeus wrote:

He's a manager, not an owner. He's got the green light for minimum wage and can stretch it up to maybe $8.50 or $9, but anything over that would put his own job in jeopardy (and his boss would just let the "overpaid" workers go anyway). His store would not lose a significant amount of money by shelling out a living wage, especially when you consider that happy employees (those that can feed their families) provide much better customer service than pissed off ones (those who work 2+ jobs and still can't make the rent). In the service industry, which is where my husband works, a smile goes a long way and translates to higher sales. But in our age of let's scrape the barrel for the cheapest possible solution, it's hard for those at the top to look past initial cost and see workers as the investment they ought to be.

It is also hard for the those at the top to remember....these 'workers' are people not just an expendable resource, sometimes they forget that about the 'consumers' to.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 1:34 pm

At least they weren't job applications for Wal Mart.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 2:48 pm

crmoore wrote:
At least they weren't job applications for Wal Mart.
Well that's true at least. I'd rather work for a company with some benefits rather than a company whose advice to workers is to steal stationery from other workplaces.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 2:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Uhh hello, they are standing out in the streets protesting....how is that nothing useful, I think its a hell of a lot more useful than cooking and serving absolutly disgusting greasy Mcdonalds food too people who could probably afford to lose a couple pounds.

I admire the brutal honesty. It suits you.