Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Scissor...me
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Feb 2015, 10:31 pm

You probably noticed my user name or at least my profile pic. So I don't know why but I just like scissors. Plus my friend gave me some really great ones for Christmas and I tend to carry them around with me but I don't know why a part from the fact I like them. Some people think I'm psycho or dangerous but I can't physically hurt someone. It's scary how an object can totally change your image. I just wanted to know if you had something you like to carry around just like that too.

Sarah xx

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 8:23 am

For me it is my hats.

I am the kind of person who very much enjoys wearing their hats and is rarely without them.

I just feel much more confident and happy when wearing it, like some sort of sense of security.

I've never been sure why.

Scissor...me
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Feb 2015, 6:38 pm

Outrider wrote:
For me it is my hats.

I am the kind of person who very much enjoys wearing their hats and is rarely without them

You're aloud to wear hats in class or at work?? Cuz I never saw that.

Sarah xx

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 8:04 am

During class I have to take it off and all that.

I just mean in general.

When going out in public, when outside of class at school and at lunches. I just feel more secure in my 'lucky cap'.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 11:14 am

What kind of hat do you wear?

You would really stand out if you wore a derby!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 1:07 am

actually scissor, the first thing i noticed about your username was the ellipsis... :wink: wasn't possible to do on the old WP. diacritics too.

really, i can understand why some people would get a bit worried if they have seen you walk around everywhere with scissors. perhaps you could tell they you don't intend to hurt anyone/yourself but i know that can get tiresome, or people may not understand or want to listen. i guess that's just the way it'll have to be. :shrug:

not trying to discourage you, but if you keep it hidden i guess they'll only get more suspicious though. any specific kind of scissors you like?

Scissor...me wrote:
You're aloud to wear hats in class or at work?? Cuz I never saw that.

i'm with outrider here, every single day since the second semester of freshman year, been wearing a sort of beanie or earflap cap. right now i'm on my sisters blue and pink beanie.
i've never once been asked to take off my hats in class, although when i was in jr high and before i was asked constantly! though i wasn't wearing hats as often, then.

feel a lot safer with my hat on, too, outrider, it's hugging my head. also a sensory issue i've developed, i started wearing them to keep my poofy hair down and now i feel weird without wearing it. frizzy and uncomfortable.

i like to carry around a pen or pencil, and often my sketchbook.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

eloralouistra
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Feb 2015, 10:12 am

I have a small cuddly tiger called Wonky I always carry round with me, have since I was 10.

(Also I don't know exactly what it is about scissors that interests you, but I really love stimming with them; pushing my fingers through the holes and moving them backwards and forwards.)

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 11:10 am

For me, it's Carabiners. I own dozens and dozens of different types but my Black Diamond Magnetron Rocklock is my favourite. The gold and green one:

I use it as a keyring and hook it onto my belt. As long as my belt never breaks, I'll never lose my keys because it requires two fingers to open it and can NEVER accidentally come undone.

I carry it with me everywhere I go and it also serves as my stim toy. I love opening and closing the gate on it. They're shiny, metal & strong:

Tech Specs
Weight : 87 g (3.1 oz)
Closed Gate Strength : 24 kN (5,395 lbf)
Open Gate Strength : 7 kN (1,574 lbf) (picture shows 8kN but mine's actually marked 7kN)
Minor Axis Strength : 7 kN (1,574 lbf)
Gate Opening : 21 mm (.83 in)

The way they work is ingenious. When the gate is opened, the two magnets (in the green latches) repel each other forcing the latches apart but when the gate closes, the two magnets are drawn in and lock in place due to a piece of steel in the nose.

It all started when I had a short lived Special Interest in rock climbing (even though I can't stand heights and never actually went rock climbing :roll: ). I had always liked Carabiners before that but never owned a 'real' one until then - only the cheap pretend ones from the $2 shop.

I've had many people comment on the size of my 'keyring' and they seem to be quite genuinely interested in it when I show them how it works although I do suspect they think it's rather weird to use one as a keyring but I've never really cared about what others think of me.

Who knows?! Might save my life someday (although, knowing my luck, my belt would probably give out! :( )

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 5:36 pm

that is sexy, as far as carabiners go.

hope nobody steals your pants, then. :D

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 5:58 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
that is sexy, as far as carabiners go.

hope nobody steals your pants, then. :D

LOL! :D ... :| Yeah.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2015, 2:47 pm

Scissor...me wrote:
You probably noticed my user name or at least my profile pic. So I don't know why but I just like scissors. Plus my friend gave me some really great ones for Christmas and I tend to carry them around with me but I don't know why a part from the fact I like them. Some people think I'm psycho or dangerous but I can't physically hurt someone. It's scary how an object can totally change your image. I just wanted to know if you had something you like to carry around just like that too.

You have DID. Your alternate personality is the Scissorman from Clock Tower. *ba dum tssh*
Seriously though, you're not a psycho [i am though, so be warned if you want to live MUAHAHAHAHAH*COUGH COUGH*] but... others are.

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2015, 2:53 pm

Outrider wrote:
For me it is my hats.

I am the kind of person who very much enjoys wearing their hats and is rarely without them.

I just feel much more confident and happy when wearing it, like some sort of sense of security.

Me too, except it's just anything covering my head. When I have nothing covering my head I feel... undescribable. It's a unbearably bad feeling, that's all.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 4:04 pm

I can feel a similar mild fascination now - as a kid I played with my mum's sewing gear (all the attachments to make special stitches on her machine), and amongst the stuff was a pair of pinking shears. This is like a large pair of scissors that leave a zig zag cut. It's so long ago, but remembering seeing a crocodile's face in the shears and using them to cut paper.

We didn't get close, but the pinking shears used to give me a zing like they were my special friend. Had a bit of a thing going with a meat mincer as well, which was stored dissembled after it had been cleaned.

If it is important to carry the scissors and they are large, maybe if they were in a little case then people wouldn't freak at the sight of them. If I carried scissors around I'd find a case maker and get a really good one made, as I like putting things in boxes and I like good cases.

Btw, Sikh men are supposed to carry a knife at all times, and many of them do but use a tiny little plastic one that they tuck into their waistbands so as not to break the law in Britain.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 11:29 pm

JoeDaBro wrote:
Me too, except it's just anything covering my head. When I have nothing covering my head I feel... undescribable. It's a unbearably bad feeling, that's all.

that could have ban my post! frizzy, spongy, i really don't know what word to use.

i agree with Alexanderplatz, a case is a good idea if they're particularly large and don't fit into a clothes pocket.

i sliced my left thumb with a huuuge pair of sewing scissors when i was 9 and to this day i still have the small scar. i remember freaking out pretty badly then. :P

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 6:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
What kind of hat do you wear?

You would really stand out if you wore a derby!

That depends on my intentions. When I want to look a bit stylish I wear my fedoras, have a small collection. When i feel causal and laidback just a regular cap.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 6:48 am

JoeDaBro wrote:
Outrider wrote:
For me it is my hats.

I know the feeling. It just feels so different/bad without my hat.

It really does make me feel more confident and daring. Without it I just feel more shy.