Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

atd321
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm

Hi,
I got diagnosed with Asperges Syndrome when I was 9, although the only symptoms I've been told of having is lack of eye contact and clumsiness. Yet I have always had some friends at every point in my life. I also nearly never say anything which offends anyone. I've gravitated towards non fiction most of my life. I want to be more social but i'm scared to be myself. I don't tease people cause I'm scared I'm going to insult them. I've always been able to read faces pretty much. Although I got therapy when I was really young. Should I be worried now or is it just because I'm a people pleaser. Thx :)

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 12:34 pm

If you got diagnosed, then you most likely have it.

Though, your therapy probably helped mask the symptoms. If you're diagnosed young, typically your parents/therapist's goal is to help you make friends and appear normal.

I find that it's easier to be myself than to try to be "social" any day.
You shouldn't be worried. Just be you. :D

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 1:07 pm

Aspies are all individuals and do not have to match the textbook definition exactly. :)
You seem like a sweet person, I'm sure many people like you.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 3:13 pm

It's nothing to be worried about. If life is treating you fine then what's the big deal? Just go on being yourself.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

16 Jun 2012, 7:43 pm

About teasing... think about if it will hurt the other person based on what you know about him/her. Then, if you don't think you'll insult them, go ahead and say it with a big smile or laugh, to show them you're not being serious.