Should high streets become ghost towns ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 9:55 am

The thing is I like working where I work but sometimes I hate seeing empty darkened stores standing opposite from us. To be honest it saddens me sometimes and makes me sometimes consider whether I should re locate to another store somewhere else like in a shopping centre like Bluewater near London or maybe further up the road near the Chatham Dockyard at Dockside Shopping Centre in Medway, Kent. I seem to feel as though people are happy to let high streets become that way and that it doesn't make people think there are too many places closing down and we need more clothes stores, hardware stores etc similar to the ones that closed down in their place.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 10:15 am

Whether they should or not, the fact is they are. With lease prices skyrocketing and consumers with a lot less disposable income (along with a stronger preference for on-line shopping) Actual shops are only going to continue to become less and less competitive.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 12:09 pm

One wealthy town created Blue Black Square, a place where the rich can live right next to food and stores.
But, the stores are too pricey for the middle class. The middle class can window shop but it obvious that everything is really expensive.

The pricey stores undoubtedly offer customer service that online stores can't provide.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 1:52 pm

BTDT wrote:
The pricey stores undoubtedly offer customer service that online stores can't provide.

At least for those who can still afford it.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 2:06 pm

That is a much better business model than people checking out stuff and then buying it online from somewhere else.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 3:15 pm

BTDT wrote:
That is a much better business model than people checking out stuff and then buying it online from somewhere else.

Where I live, in the last 10 years or so, I have to get through several homeless camps in what used to be the downtown shopping district. The shop windows that are not boarded up in the heart of the district are rather dangerous get to. I don't fancy my chances of getting any high-end goods home on the train without being accosted if not actually robbed. When I can buy online and have it delivered to my hands. Which should I choose?