Fired today; making The Haven my home :(

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 10:14 am

With the economic situation as it is and my already minimal ability of finding and keeping a job, I guess this will be my home for a long time...

You spend years trying to please a boss, and so it's very hard to hear them tell you to your face that you didn't succeed at it.

I just have no one to tell, so I'm sharing here.

:( :cry:

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 10:41 am

Wishing you the best, Greentea. This ain't the best time to be out of work.

So you getting anything done on the novel? What's it about anyway?

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 10:45 am

are you an american contractor or do you live in the M E?

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 11:06 am

Sorry to hear that.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 11:28 am

A home for Greentea topic

When I saw this topic featured on the banner page, I was hoping it was not you, Greentea. But were you not laid off, rather than fired? So many of those communications industries were laying people off, rather than terminating them, because of the global economic downturn.

I know this sounds trite but could you work in a kibbutz? At least you would have food and housing. I figured if I ever got stranded in the world I might do this, at least to survive temporarily.

Please keep me posted, Greentea.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 12:15 pm

Thank you for the support, I'm drinking every drop of it, really need it. Though I'm used to being fired from every job and the reason they give me is always some vague lie that is too absurd to even argue it.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 12:27 pm

Sorry to hear that you have lost your job, I hope that everything works out OK for you.

What level of education have you got ?

If you have a degree then you might want to consider going for a higher degree to get some new skills while if you have a PhD you could try postdocing as a means of getting a short contract.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 12:53 pm

Sorry to hear you were laid off.

Maybe there's a Day Labor company in your area. I know that I've been able to earn $40 a day at US Labor on the lucky days I found a job.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 1:25 pm

So sorry to hear that Greentea :(

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 1:30 pm

ah, GreenTea, honey, I am so sorry!
It will be a little bit before you will start to heal and realize this was probably the best thing for the whole situation, but I know you are really sad and mad that it happened. Hang in there, woman, we are your family and all here for you!

your sis,
Merle

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger"

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 1:35 pm

I'm always being thrown out of everywhere and left wondering "why do they hate me so much, what did I do?"

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 1:48 pm

Greentea wrote:
I'm always being thrown out of everywhere and left wondering "why do they hate me so much, what did I do?"

You might not like to believe this, but they don't 'hate' you. They probably don't feel any way at all about you. At most they saw you as a disposable commodity and took a few minutes to compose themselves at your firing and then, that job dispensed with, have put you out of their minds.

I know, I know, nobody likes to feel they didn't make ANY impression on others, but work is a place where one day you are there, working at your desk and the next you are not there, and someone is putting your stuff in a cardboard box. People look at each other and nod, or shake their heads, but they don't go into it, because they know they might have the same fate. It is not worth their jobs to have a public opinion on the subject. Those co-workers that liked you will miss you, and then that will be over, too.

So don't labor over emotions lost, The management aren't staying up at nights worrying about how they could have gotten along better with you. The management aren't fretting their bowels to fiddlestrings wondering how they could have helped you more. And if they thought you were all torn up about it, they might have a moment's conscious twinge, but that's all, sweetie.

save your energy for the task ahead, you will need it.

Merle

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 2:09 pm

Merle, in the last 3 years I was fired from 3 very good, semi-career jobs. None of my colleagues were fired in any of the three companies. I was a very rare exception. So they had to despise me exceptionally much to fire me, in all 3. I was either fired or pushed to leave from almost all jobs I had before that too. In this last job, I had been alert and doing everything as perfectly as I could all the time. I can't think of ONE reason why they so wanted rid of me. The big boss told me today that he'd been wanting to fire me for many months, and I know it's true. I posted a thread about a year ago where I said I thought they were firing me. I was right, he confirmed it today.

Same with friends, out of the blue they'll decide to cut contact and never tell me why.

Same with my family - one day 6 years ago they all got together and decided to get rid of me. No reasons given. I have no family of any kind.

Why does everyone need rid of me so badly?

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 2:16 pm

Not nice in these times Greentea...

Maybe a few days of rest gives a new perspective on things... some time for yourself and the many things that should have been done around the house.

Hopefully you find a suitable job soon.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 2:37 pm

Greentea wrote:
Why does everyone need rid of me so badly?

We don't.

Don't waste too much time worrying about what those jerks thought of you, you'll have more than enough to do taking care of yourself.

Hang in there.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 2:41 pm

well, this is my first post in this forum, but I just got...hmm... 'not hired', because our contracting company got the boot, and the new company wanted someone younger and prettier...actually because of my 'criminal' record (missus wrote some bad checks in my name)

I am really appreciated by the client company, and there's gonna be a lot of sorry people when i'm gone.

fact is, right now, it's an employers' market, and they can be as picky as they want to be, and want to 'clean house' of all sorts of people, not just us. i've still got 3.5 days to work (that's gonna be a small paycheck..;)

it's a bad time to be looking for a job...but go by the unemployment office, take courses on resume preparation, interview preparation, look for jobs, get and stay online (that's gonna be tricky). Contact your friends and family, network yourself, do a lot of really uncomfortable things, but they have to be done. hang in there.