Feeling hopeless (trigger warning - suicide)

Page 10 of 47 [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 47  Next

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 11:34 pm

Raleigh wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

What is that thing on the woman's face?
It looks like a squishy banana.

It's actually called a banana slug :)

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2017, 11:40 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:

My degree is in general biology. I went to K-State, and I was planning on going on to do the vet med program there, but I decided for several reasons (some I could work on and some I can't) that it wasn't the best choice for me. I still wanted to do something with animals, so I kept the biology major. Now, though, I'll take almost anything where they'll hire me and I can perform the job. I didn't know STEM jobs weren't advertised as much - I'd thought maybe there just weren't as many available in my area. I could probably do lab work somewhere, especially if they give me very specific instructions. I'll try to do some deeper investigation to see if I can find any such jobs, whether at a hospital or someplace else. Being a vet tech might be a good idea for me if I didn't have a true, legitimate phobia of parasites (as in, not the normal "Ew, gross," but "Even the mention of them as a possibility sends my brain into instant fight-or-flight mode") - I'd probably be needing to analyze samples for parasites on a regular basis.

I'll try to look for smaller employers like you suggest. No chance of me even considering working at a meat packing plant or slaughterhouse, I can't handle dead animals well at all. I've been keeping an eye out for stocking jobs in stores, since I'm pretty sure I can handle that, but a lot of the ones I've found require people to be able to lift a little more than I can (30 pounds to waist height is about my limit, many want 40 or 50) or will rotate the employees among different positions, so sometimes you'd be working in the back, sometimes you'd be working the customer service desk, sometimes you'd be running registers, etc. The place I used to clean at did that (but I wasn't directly employed by the store, so I wasn't part of the rotation, mercifully).

My mom has suggested to me that I try to learn some computer programming, and I've been considering it, but I don't really know where to begin. That would open up some opportunities for Aspie-friendly jobs, if I could do that. At the community college near where I live (it's actually within walking distance), they offer some classes that they call "continuing education," for people who aren't working toward a degree but want to take a particular class. That would probably be a good way to try some things out and see if I like/do well at them. I'd just have to be able to justify the cost - since I don't have the money to pay for it myself, I'd have to convince my parents to pay for it.

What's the difference between a functional resume and a chronological one?

The closest I've ever gotten to living on my own was living in a dorm at college, so I do have some experience with taking care of myself, but not really any other part of living on my own. Thank you for the suggestion, it wouldn't have occurred to me to rent a storage unit to have some sort of renting history. I'll look into that once I have a source of income - as it stands, I can't pay monthly fees. I'm a very strict rule-follower and thoroughly read all the paperwork I'm given before signing, so I don't think that part will be a problem for me :)

The problem with trying to keep my living conditions clean and uncluttered is that my parents are poor housekeepers. I can work on my bedroom, at least, though - it could definitely use some tidying. Since I don't have school or a job taking up my time, maybe I can also work on the rest of the house. Tidying up certainly can't hurt anything.

I know cutting/scratching myself is a bad idea, which is why I'm trying to stop. The problem is, I know it's a bad coping mechanism, but it's really all I've had for a while. Also, I've read that it can become an addiction, which I think is the case for me. It's hard, but I am trying to stop doing it.

Thank you for all the advice, I'm sure it will be very helpful.

A functional resume is a resume that focuses on your knowledge and abilities as opposed to a chronological resume which emphasizes your length of work at each employer and when and how you were promoted. Most Aspies don't have consistent work histories so a chronological resume here is worthless; I don't use a chronological resume anymore despite what the media and public say since it doesn't work as advertised.

I assume that you are living in Kansas since you mentioned that your degree was from K-State (correct me if I am wrong). Kansas and the prairie states are not good places for employment period, I'll be honest. I'm in SD and this state is terrible for employment; don't believe the statistics, the job market here is a joke unless you are in credit cards or in hospital care.

As for coping and such I would suggest that you simply continue to post here. That will take a huge load off you since hopelessness is often aggravated by not being able to speak out about it. I know firsthand since I live in a community that is notorious for having a 'shut up' mentality!

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 11:43 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
I wish you to be selfish.

Unless you're prepared to go out and cut other people to watch them bleed, I don't see why you should do it to yourself.
You're just as precious as anyone else.

I don't get the same thrill from seeing other people bleed as I do from myself - something about knowing it's my blood adds to it. I also have my own consent, and don't worry as much about accidentally doing serious harm because I can feel exactly what's going on and do it pretty slowly - I repeatedly give myself little scratches instead of doing one big cut all at once, so I feel like it's easy enough to tell if I'm going to hit something important before it's too late. But if someone else asked me to do to them what I do to myself and there wasn't a risk of doing more harm than they wanted, I wouldn't really see a problem with doing it.

Maybe you should look for an occupation that involves bloodletting.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 12:08 am

aikoinazuma wrote:

A functional resume is a resume that focuses on your knowledge and abilities as opposed to a chronological resume which emphasizes your length of work at each employer and when and how you were promoted. Most Aspies don't have consistent work histories so a chronological resume here is worthless; I don't use a chronological resume anymore despite what the media and public say since it doesn't work as advertised.

I assume that you are living in Kansas since you mentioned that your degree was from K-State (correct me if I am wrong). Kansas and the prairie states are not good places for employment period, I'll be honest. I'm in SD and this state is terrible for employment; don't believe the statistics, the job market here is a joke unless you are in credit cards or in hospital care.

As for coping and such I would suggest that you simply continue to post here. That will take a huge load off you since hopelessness is often aggravated by not being able to speak out about it. I know firsthand since I live in a community that is notorious for having a 'shut up' mentality!

Ah, OK - I guess my resume is already functional rather than chronological since I made it before I'd had a job and just added the information about the one job I've had later.

I do live in Kansas, near Kansas City. I have no idea how the job market here compares to elsewhere since this is all I have experience with.

I'll definitely keep posting here. It helps to be able to get everything out, and this is the only place I feel safe doing it. I also would probably have killed myself months ago if it wasn't for all the support I've gotten here.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 12:12 am

Raleigh wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
I wish you to be selfish.

Unless you're prepared to go out and cut other people to watch them bleed, I don't see why you should do it to yourself.
You're just as precious as anyone else.

I don't get the same thrill from seeing other people bleed as I do from myself - something about knowing it's my blood adds to it. I also have my own consent, and don't worry as much about accidentally doing serious harm because I can feel exactly what's going on and do it pretty slowly - I repeatedly give myself little scratches instead of doing one big cut all at once, so I feel like it's easy enough to tell if I'm going to hit something important before it's too late. But if someone else asked me to do to them what I do to myself and there wasn't a risk of doing more harm than they wanted, I wouldn't really see a problem with doing it.

Maybe you should look for an occupation that involves bloodletting.

Phelbotomy technician. It's a certificate that generally leads to employment too.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 12:25 am

I could look into being a phlebotomist, yes. The only problem is that I have a tremor, which would result in the needle not going quite where it was supposed to a good bit of the time, and that wouldn't make anyone happy. But if my tremor gets less pronounced or more controllable, it might be a good option.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 12:28 am

Maybe analyzing samples would be better - I'd still see blood as part of my job, but wouldn't end up accidentally hurting people more than necessary.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 12:35 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I wish it wasn't so long between appointments. In the time since my last one, I've gone from doing pretty OK back to self-harming at least once a day and seriously wondering if I should die (though not actively planning on killing myself anytime soon like I was before).

I know right? Sometimes after I see the shrink I feel fine but then it's ages before I see her again and I can't even tell her why I feel like excrement!

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 12:42 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
I wish it wasn't so long between appointments. In the time since my last one, I've gone from doing pretty OK back to self-harming at least once a day and seriously wondering if I should die (though not actively planning on killing myself anytime soon like I was before).

I know right? Sometimes after I see the shrink I feel fine but then it's ages before I see her again and I can't even tell her why I feel like excrement!

Yep, that's going to be the case for me this time, I think. My appointment's for next Tuesday.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 12:47 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Maybe analyzing samples would be better - I'd still see blood as part of my job, but wouldn't end up accidentally hurting people more than necessary.

That's an awesome idea! Lab tech offers plenty of job potential too and your biology degree would count in your favor.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 12:49 am

bunnyb wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

That's an awesome idea! Lab tech offers plenty of job potential too and your biology degree would count in your favor.

It would also probably be very methodical and not require too much social interaction, both of which would be good for me.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 1:19 am

For whatever it's worth I'm in very similar shoes, 24 & patronizing the DVR office for appt. # 2 next week. Many years of industrial-standard tech experience on my part gets treated like five minutes.

Also a Tool fan here. \m/

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 1:29 am

cberg wrote:
For whatever it's worth I'm in very similar shoes, 24 & patronizing the DVR office for appt. # 2 next week. Many years of industrial-standard tech experience on my part gets treated like five minutes.

Also a Tool fan here. \m/

VR is probably going to have to be my next step if I can't find and hear back from any jobs soon.

It's always nice to know that someone else likes Tool :) Most people I tell (in person, at least) haven't even heard of them.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 2:42 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
300series wrote:
I am sorry to hear that you hurt yourself again. I wish that you did not have to wait so long to see your therapist again, and that they did not help you at all. Did you have a bad Thanksgiving? Were you disappointed about something?

It is hard, and I know how you feel. I have felt the same way before.

No, Thanksgiving was actually pretty good - it was just my immediate family, so it was nice and calm. Christmas/New Year is when we have a big extended family get-together (and I'm already dreading it - as it stands, I'm in no shape to handle that well on top of the depression and self-harm issues). I can't think of one specific thing that's made it worse the past few days. I'm just once again feeling bad about not having a job, feeling like nothing but a burden to my parents, and now with them having to pay for treatment for my mental health issues, I'm thinking I'm getting to be much more expensive than I'm worth.

I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant Thanksgiving. I also feel the same way about Christmas & New Year; it is very depressing for me, especially with my mother gone. My family used to have a big extended family get together too, and I never liked them either.

I am still feeling sad that you are still unemployed, and that your therapy & medications are not working. Do you have any problems with eating, sleeping, or grooming yourself? I have had the same problem; when my depression was really bad & I was feeling suicidal, the only things I wanted to do were cry, sleep, and lay in my bed in the foetal position. I did not want to eat or groom myself, and I could not even sleep at night. I never wanted to leave my bed.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 3:04 pm

300series wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
300series wrote:
I am sorry to hear that you hurt yourself again. I wish that you did not have to wait so long to see your therapist again, and that they did not help you at all. Did you have a bad Thanksgiving? Were you disappointed about something?

It is hard, and I know how you feel. I have felt the same way before.

No, Thanksgiving was actually pretty good - it was just my immediate family, so it was nice and calm. Christmas/New Year is when we have a big extended family get-together (and I'm already dreading it - as it stands, I'm in no shape to handle that well on top of the depression and self-harm issues). I can't think of one specific thing that's made it worse the past few days. I'm just once again feeling bad about not having a job, feeling like nothing but a burden to my parents, and now with them having to pay for treatment for my mental health issues, I'm thinking I'm getting to be much more expensive than I'm worth.

I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant Thanksgiving. I also feel the same way about Christmas & New Year; it is very depressing for me, especially with my mother gone. My family used to have a big extended family get together too, and I never liked them either.

I am still feeling sad that you are still unemployed, and that your therapy & medications are not working. Do you have any problems with eating, sleeping, or grooming yourself? I have had the same problem; when my depression was really bad & I was feeling suicidal, the only things I wanted to do were cry, sleep, and lay in my bed in the foetal position. I did not want to eat or groom myself, and I could not even sleep at night. I never wanted to leave my bed.

I've never quite reached that level of depression, thankfully, although I have been having issues with those that may or may not be related to the depression. I have chronic insomnia issues, and more recently I've noticed that I'm tired all the time. One of my new medications reduces my appetite as a side effect, so I haven't been eating as much. Grooming isn't very high on my priority list right now and I never feel like doing it, even though I do feel a little better when I'm clean. I also haven't been taking such care about cleanliness while self-harming as I used to because the urges are so strong that I really don't want to have to bother with that. Part of me is terrified of people finding out the extent of my self-harm, as they would if a wound I'd given myself got infected, for fear of being hospitalized whether I want to be or not. But another part of me wants people to find out so I get the help I need, be it hospitalization or not.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 9:12 pm

I'm up to self-harming twice a day now, for half an hour or so each time. I've also developed a preference for sticking the pins into my veins instead of scratching myself with them until I bleed enough - I'm not sure if that's better or worse. Next Tuesday still feels like a long time away, and I don't even know if I'll get to tell my psychologist anything I want to, or if it'll be like last time where he pretty much just threw prescriptions at me and called it good.