KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

26 Mar 2008, 11:03 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Ana54 wrote:
Thanks. :)

She meant that since I was diagnosed with AS that MUST mean I can't read people or have more difficulty than most other humans in understanding people's intents or wants or needs or something.

I don't know what you mean by deviation... but I know exactly what you mean if you mean deviation as in difference. Blindness is a disability and even depression because it's a lack of something most people have. I didn't lack something most people have just by being AS; I also had good traits most people didn't have. And I don't think I even lacked anything most people have. And maybe I don't have good traits most people don't have either. Whatever.

I'm glad you at least think depression is a disability; that makes me feel relived for some reason. :) Because you understand that depressed people aren't just people who don't act grateful or something.

Don't even think about using the word "disability", it's become so over-used it's meaningless. We're "face-blind", unable or impaired at "reading" emotions. We have many good traits, and that's what important to focus on. (Although I've never been able to tell how many toothpicks are in a box.)

I agree with you professor. That word has been overused to the point of distortion. I fail to understand why. Is it to make those of us with actual disabilities look cool, or is it just an excuse for ridiculous behavior? One of these days, I might apologize to my college professor for being late, because I can't drive and the transit service dropped me off late. Then some other student might say he's temporarily disabled due to an ingrown toenail. He just hurt his tow too badly to press down on that accelerator, not to mention he had to stop at every McDonalds along the way. The adds for the golden arches gave him an eating disorder. Oh, and the doctor says he has anxiety, so he can't take tests.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 11:17 pm

Just to clarify: In fact I can 'flash count,' one of my abilities. I just know how many, like taking a picture.

Otherwise, with reference to toothpicks - someone smash the DVD 'Rainman' into finite jagged pieces. (Then I can flash count the pieces :D ). I'm not Rainman.

Ana54, not to be particular, but apparently you are not Dxed with AS; this is merely an assumption or opinion on your part, which does not make it so. There is a distinction. But, ADD is within the spectrum, which 'counts,' I guess, but different critieria. My point: I think diagnostics matter. Lets not be assigning diagnostic labels without warrant so liberally. Technically, I am a HFA, which does overlap with AS somewhat. I am 100% autistic, whereas many (most?) Aspies do not necessarily feel fully autistic - this is valid; I accept. The demarcation between Aspies/HFA is blurry at best - a moot point. But ADD is neither, diagnostically.

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 11:54 pm

Ninety-seven X. Bang! The future of rock and roll.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:24 am

LabPet wrote:
Ana54, not to be particular, but apparently you are not Dxed with AS; this is merely an assumption or opinion on your part, which does not make it so. There is a distinction.

I sometimes think I'd like to get an Official DX, just for the record. (The Missus sometimes sees my behavior in the light of AS, sometimes not ...)

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 8:29 am

It's my MOTHEr that used the word disability, not me. LabPet, I was diagnosed and it's on record there where I was diagnosed but I'm questioning it, so do stop being particular.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 11:31 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I sometimes think I'd like to get an Official DX, just for the record. (The Missus sometimes sees my behavior in the light of AS, sometimes not ...)

I know Prof! WP could hire a professional psychiatrist/neurologist (this would come in handy at times), complete with a chaise lounge fainting couch (always wanted one - ADA doesn't comply). Resume must include: He looks like Sigmund Freud, with a grey beard, smokes a cigar. Yes, we should go all out! Tell Mrs. Pretorius I think she's 'right on the mark.' :D
I do hope you send her flowers on occasion, yes? <I'm just kidding :D >

Seriously, wherever anyone is on the spectrum, or our NT members, the Haven should be a place where insights are respected and refrain from being harsh or critical of others. Reasoned advice is fine, but manners are always in order; whether from the recipient or giver.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 11:39 am

We really need a professional like that on here. Out of the 16000 members surely there is one! Hmm; we should start a thread.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 6:47 pm

Jolly good idea, except I think that the 'doc' would want to see me face to face.

On the other hand, webcams could solve that, eh?

happyheather912
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Apr 2008, 9:08 pm

The Haven HAS helped me, just in the short time I've been online here.

When I first found this website, I was pretty bad off because I had just found out what I had, but I thought I was crazy. I read the stats on AS and thought that there couldn't be many people out there who felt like me...wow, was I wrong!

You guys are like my new family. :) It's nice to get online, read posts, and be like "wow, I feel like that too!", or "been there, came through it ok".

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 9:17 pm

happyheather912 wrote:

When I first found this website, I was pretty bad off because I had just found out what I had, but I thought I was crazy. I read the stats on AS and thought that there couldn't be many people out there who felt like me...wow, was I wrong!

You guys are like my new family. :) It's nice to get online, read posts, and be like "wow, I feel like that too!", or "been there, came through it ok".

Heather, I know precisely what you mean. It's quite a comfort. WP has become one of my favorite pass times.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 9:17 pm

happyheather912 wrote:

I've felt this way also - WP may have, in the most literal way, saved my life when I beyond saturated with........(no words) I think being locked inside with ensuing meltdown horror.

happyheather912, I think you're very sweet to consider us 'like family.' I do too. I doubt the NT world (I'm not meaning to stereotype) can truly know how hard the manifestations of autism/AS can become.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 9:56 pm

It's a blessing to know there are so many of us, and that we can communicate with one another. We all share so much, the difficulties, and the good.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 12:19 am

Common ground in an uncommon world.

My time on WP has been very informative.

It does seem to emulate the other world, gangs, looking for some differance of opinion to mob.

Expressing how I see the Universe, my role in it, brings out the apes.

It was a long road to accept myself, as a natural part of the Universe.

Accepting myself, even enjoying it, has brought the worst response.

WP is Anti-Autism. Everytime there is a conversation of interest, the apes show up, jabbering you can't think that.

Some support site.

Help, identity, healing, just become a target.

I felt great joy in discovering this place, but that faded.

Of those who could not, or do not want to become NT's, only the strong survive. Most have just vanished, for we can be attacked anywhere. Like Autism Speaks, some people here are self chosen to be the voice of WP. They bring NT Political Correctness.

I prefer to deal with people face to face, where they would not dare speak like they do here.

I cannot come to WP without being prepared to battle apes.

I still come, read much more than I post, and no longer state my thoughts, feelings, or observations of my inner self.

How can I offer anything, when it just becomes a target?

Intelligent autistics come through, they do not stay, when I try to converse with people like me, it becomes open season on the autistic.

Those who are making it in the world, those with something to offer, mentors, role models, are driven away. It is one thing to suffer compassion burnout, it happens, but what I see is people fleeing the constant attacks.

When the truely troubled come, Underlying, he mentioned his demonds, and had three mods attacking as a gang. He was a great writer, and I tried to reach him, and it became a platform for mod following gangs to attack, both of us, for the mods had lead, so they were safe. Underlying may well be dead because of it, and at the least we lost a great writer.

Any belief that the Universe might have some meaning, will be attacked. That too was a mod attack. I know the Universe has meaning. I know good writing, and relate to the HFA world. It is clear we are officially unwelcome here.

The official program here is the Universe means nothing, life means nothing, and humans have no spirit. Also, enjoying being autistic is forbidden.

This is the Planet of the Apes.

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 12:38 am

Inventor, no one, on this site or otherwise, can mold me into someone else. I am incapable of being anyone other than myself. I let no one offend me on this or any other site, because I will likely never meet the person posting offensive material. They could be half a world away. It's the frigging internet! If it's so bad that my opinion wouldn't help, I either switch topics or close my internet browser. It's just that simple. We face too many hardships in the real world. Why create virtual ones? And by the way, I haven't heard ONE positive thing about autism speaks here. You seem to be looking for a conspiracy where it does not exist. Nobody here likes them. They'll never get rid of us anyway. So just be yourself.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 6:10 pm

Well, Inventor, I guess I enjoy the jabbering of apes...

Even they have opinions, and thus deserve to be heard. I don't feel the need to agree, or even debate. But they can jabber away ...

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 6:56 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Well, Inventor, I guess I enjoy the jabbering of apes...

Even they have opinions, and thus deserve to be heard. I don't feel the need to agree, or even debate. But they can jabber away ...

Ditto. Keep going Inventor; I think you have a profound understanding of what is autism. Discension is irrelevant. Reality exists.