Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counselling Thread

Page 4 of 47 [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 47  Next

TRUE
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2007, 3:06 am

:?

Last edited by TRUE on 01 Jun 2007, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anna4077
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2007, 7:25 am

It helps to find alternate leisure activities. For me it was PS2 games.

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 12:35 am

speed anyone?

The lonlier I am, the more my head gets f****d around with by girls, the more I want speed.

I want to crush my adderall up right now. Cut it into lines with a razor blade. I want to snort that s**t so bad.

I am stopping myself from doing that...again. I have started snorting my adderall (a mixture of amphetamine salts).

The rush makes me forget about those dumb b*****s.

f**k it. I want to snort, but I will control myself.

I have to or I'm f****d.

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 2:49 am

I used to drink a lot of beer to help me get to sleep which never worked for long becuse I was up all night urinating. Well, better that than stay asleep and wet the bed.
Interesting thing is about three weeks ago I went off mt antidepressants and I haven't touched a drop since. I can get to bed fine now.
However I worry as I have'nt been very social and sometimes a weird crowded day out would push me to drinking.

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 9:01 am

I havent gone a day in the last two months where I havent drunk at all. I drink to forget and to end the pain but when i sober up (eventually) the pain comes back and I want to drink more and more. I am steadily drinking more and in the past two weeks have drank from when I woke up to when I went to sleep.

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 10:22 am

What was making me concerned is how much I was drinking and how fast. I would usually borrow a movie or tv show from the library. In a single hour long DVD I would drink 8-10 beers. It would usually take me two or sometimes three viewings to get through a movie. Then I would sleep for three hours or so and be up because I felt terrible.
Alcohol just quit working well for me. Now I abuse sleep.
How much do you drink in how long a peroid? When do you know to stop?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2007, 2:12 pm

I just wanted to say my 23rd AA aniversary is coming up in a few days.

I was a sleep in the bushes on the side of the highway drunk. I was picked up for drunk and disorderly sleeping in the same amphitheatre that 10 years later I walked with cap and gown to graduate college.

I appreciate the AA program and used it to the best of my ability racking up 23 years sober.
and for that I am truly grateful.

Merle

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 6:30 pm

That's positively wonderful, Merle ! !!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 10:26 pm

TrueDave wrote:
What was making me concerned is how much I was drinking and how fast. I would usually borrow a movie or tv show from the library. In a single hour long DVD I would drink 8-10 beers. It would usually take me two or sometimes three viewings to get through a movie. Then I would sleep for three hours or so and be up because I felt terrible.
Alcohol just quit working well for me. Now I abuse sleep.
How much do you drink in how long a peroid? When do you know to stop?

I knew when to stop when I realized I was walking around dead, and I didn't even know it. My life was for the booze and that is what I did with my life. The doing it, the thinking about it the sobering up from it. It got so that I was hiding beer in the fridge ( so it wouldn't get taken by others) so when I came to around 4 in the morning I could drink until I passed out again and wake around 8 and this way I wasn't as anxious at not being able to drink my fill through the day. It all came to a head when someone called me a 'drunk'. I was, of course, but I had never thought of myself as a drunk. It hurt. I recognized something. I found an AA meeting and went and sat there and listened. It made a lot of sense. I did what they told me, I got a kick out of everyone giving a damn. days passed into weeks, and I still did it like they said, months into years. Ten years later I looked up and I had been ten years sober and that was good.

your mileage may vary,
I wish you the best in all you do.
Merle

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 11:03 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
I knew when to stop when I realized I was walking around dead, and I didn't even know it. My life was for the booze and that is what I did with my life. The doing it, the thinking about it the sobering up from it. It got so that I was hiding beer in the fridge ( so it wouldn't get taken by others) so when I came to around 4 in the morning I could drink until I passed out again and wake around 8 and this way I wasn't as anxious at not being able to drink my fill through the day. It all came to a head when someone called me a 'drunk'. I was, of course, but I had never thought of myself as a drunk. It hurt. I recognized something. I found an AA meeting and went and sat there and listened. It made a lot of sense. I did what they told me, I got a kick out of everyone giving a damn. days passed into weeks, and I still did it like they said, months into years. Ten years later I looked up and I had been ten years sober and that was good.

A mini drunk-a-log, tell how AA saved you, and attempt to recruit all in that short paragraph. Impressive

I'm opposed to AA and any other 12 step cult because they're ineffective. Basically, they don't work. The Success rate of Alcoholics Anonymous is in between 3-5 percent. It has been found by Dr. Brandsma that "AA fared by far the worst of any of the treatment groups. The group assigned to AA had a 68% dropout rate; the insight group had a 42% dropout rate; lay-RBT had a 40% dropout rate; and pro-RBT had a 46% dropout rate." and "AA and an increased rate of binge drinking. After several months of participating in AA, the alcoholics in AA were doing five times as much binge drinking as a control group that got no treatment at all, and nine times as much binge drinking as another group that got Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. They are teaching people that they are alcoholics who are powerless over alcohol becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 11:28 pm

Dokken wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

A mini drunk-a-log, tell how AA saved you, and attempt to recruit all in that short paragraph. Impressive

I'm opposed to AA and any other 12 step cult because they're ineffective. Basically, they don't work. The Success rate of Alcoholics Anonymous is in between 3-5 percent. It has been found by Dr. Brandsma that "AA fared by far the worst of any of the treatment groups. The group assigned to AA had a 68% dropout rate; the insight group had a 42% dropout rate; lay-RBT had a 40% dropout rate; and pro-RBT had a 46% dropout rate." and "AA and an increased rate of binge drinking. After several months of participating in AA, the alcoholics in AA were doing five times as much binge drinking as a control group that got no treatment at all, and nine times as much binge drinking as another group that got Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. They are teaching people that they are alcoholics who are powerless over alcohol becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I am an Aspergian Female, too, and the odds of me being and surviving THAT are even smaller.

so sorry AA was demonstrated to not be able to work for you, talk about your self fullfilling prophecy!

Sapphix
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2007, 5:18 pm

sinsboldly wrote:

I was a sleep in the bushes on the side of the highway drunk. I was picked up for drunk and disorderly sleeping in the same amphitheatre that 10 years later I walked with cap and gown to graduate college.

I appreciate the AA program and used it to the best of my ability racking up 23 years sober.

Merle

Oh - hey Merle. I'm discovering more and more depth to this board every day. DOS is '97, but then a trip into drugs and new DOS '07.

"First it gets better.
Then it gets worse.
Then it gets different.
Then it gets real different."

Don't know about you, but I'm seeing lots of Aspie traits in fellow alcs in the rooms, too.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 9:14 pm

Sapphix wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Merle

Oh - hey Merle. I'm discovering more and more depth to this board every day. DOS is '97, but then a trip into drugs and new DOS '07.

"First it gets better.
Then it gets worse.
Then it gets different.
Then it gets real different."

Don't know about you, but I'm seeing lots of Aspie traits in fellow alcs in the rooms, too.

hello Sappix
It seems we meet in the same places!

I am not certain what aspie traits there may be in alcoholics, but drunk or sober they didn't notice I was strange or different. Probably were pre occupied, eh? I felt the same way hanging out with the flower children and hippies in SanFrancisco, because they never noticed much either. It was those straight people that realized I was 'not right', so I avoided them.

Merle

Sapphix
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Oct 2007, 4:59 am

Yes, I spent 10 years trying to figure out why being sober didn't 'cure' my differentness, even in the rooms :)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2007, 8:19 am

Sapphix wrote:
Yes, I spent 10 years trying to figure out why being sober didn't 'cure' my differentness, even in the rooms :)

But in a strange way, they got me to function in 'straight' society much more efficiently with their insistance I was 'not special' and 'just a run of the mill drunk' and such. I didn't see myself as neurologically different, of course, I had no idea, but neither did they. They thought I was like them and I thought they were like me. So I became more like an NT in work ethic and learned how to get jobs and keep jobs and become like them for ten long struggling years. Then I went to college and what a dissonance!
One day I was just doing a usual task and realized that I was almost 60 and I had still not attained my adulthood. I was not 'grown up' and I marveled over that. Two months later I stumbled onto the diagnosis of AS and recognized myself.

AA is what it is, and I am grateful for it.

Merle

Good luck for S.A. in the World Cup against England, Sappix!

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 9:44 pm

Here are some alternatives to Alcoholics Anonymous or other 12-step groups. People seem to fail to mention these, they just mention AA. AA isn't even effective.

Smart Recovery
http://www.smartrecovery.org/
LifeRing Secular Recovery
http://www.unhooked.com/index.htm
Practical Recovery alternatives to 12-Step
http://www.practicalrecovery.com/
WFS: Women For Sobriety
http://www.womenforsobriety.org/
Rational Recovery
http://www.rational.org/recovery/
SOS International
http://www.sossobriety.org/