Worried about discrimination when buying a house

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

hello111
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2024, 4:51 pm

My wife and I (both ND) want to buy a house in 2030. By then we are expected to earn above $100,000 annually and will have no debts except for a student loan payment. According to an online calculator and my estimations, we could comfortably afford a new construction house (up to $400k).

I'm worried either the mortgage lender or the builder is going to treat us poorly because we are ND. I hope home buying is not just for the NTs.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 7:33 pm

Good luck on buying a home!

More than ever, the only color folks in the construction and housing industry are worried about is green. Having enough money! (joke)

In a lot of places the economy depends on migrant labor to get stuff built. Especially if it involves hard and dangerous work.

We bought a home when I was nearly forty and paid it off before I was fifty.
If you can put down a 20% deposit you can avoid paying PMI.
We could have bought more but we figured a modest ranch would be better if one became disabled.
It is also proving to be an excellent retirement home, something we also planned on.

My parents built a custom home. The big issue is the inevitable construction delays.

Paying off the mortgage so early means that I put a lot of money away towards retirement. :D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 6:42 pm

hello111 wrote:
My wife and I (both ND) want to buy a house in 2030. By then we are expected to earn above $100,000 annually and will have no debts except for a student loan payment. According to an online calculator and my estimations, we could comfortably afford a new construction house (up to $400k).

I'm worried either the mortgage lender or the builder is going to treat us poorly because we are ND. I hope home buying is not just for the NTs.

There is no reason the buyers need to know. You are under no obligation to tell them. Autism is a medical diagnoses thus in most places and circumstances it is considered private information.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman