Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 6:14 pm

Anyone has work related issues? Has anyone had a co worker or supervisor personally insult you or you thought they did? How do you react? Do we as autistics often feel like we are being personally insulted? Social life can be sad too. What do you all do on weekends when out of school or off from work?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 7:09 pm

I don't mean to be overly direct but:

I've learned, over the years, that you have to create your own life if others won't create it for you.

What are you REALLY interested in?

I know how you feel in reference to being insulted at work. Sometimes, I might perceive an insult when none is present. This drives me crazy. What I do in these instances is take ten deep breaths, then restrain my impulses. I just go back and do my job.

What is your job?

I have a wife. Because of that, I value my alone time.

ikerio
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2014, 7:46 pm

Anyone has work related issues?
You bet. In some places of works there's a code of conduct or behaviour and insulting, abusing, discriminating is simply not allowed. In my case I've never ever been personally insulted but I've been taken for granted or in most cases completely misunderstood, my sense of fairness being ridicule or brush off.

I don't know if social life is happy or sad... I avoid it like the pest

There's always plenty to do if you have an interest, as it is I've never known what boredom is like.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 8:31 pm

Where do you live? I live in a big city where there are plenty of activities going on, so I have started to get involved in some of those. I suppose it may be harder if you are from a small town. Maybe you could at least find a book club or something.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 7:31 am

I live near Washington DC. I actually work near an Autism Speaks office.
From what I understand about autism, is majority of people who are on the mild end of the spectrum (aspergers) crave friendships but have difficulty with understanding people and how to make friends. Severely autistic people prefer to be alone. But I thought majority of autistics no matter how mild or severe crave friendships. I can't imagine living a life alone. :( I"m an only child and still live with my parents and so when they pass away, I will be quite lonely. Having a sibling would probably help me. But then I would be sad if my sibling was an NT and had no social skills issues. Perhaps if I was diagnosed correctly with aspergers at age 3 instead of at age 29 I would feel better about myself. Autism even if its severe doesn't mean that the person is ret*d, right?? Plenty of severely autistic adults have gotten married, have had children, and have masters or PHD!