Help why do I do these things (post might be long)

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 2:49 pm

First of all, I've screwed up on Facebook. I think it's a peer pressure thing; because I see other people posting things on there that are a bit TMI, I follow that habit. I think "oh if they're doing it then it must be OK". I wish I could think of a way to stop myself from putting s**t on there. Another thing is because of the little likes and replies I receive, I assume that a lot of Facebook friends have unfollowed me, so I go putting what I want on there thinking "oh only certain people will read it", until I realise that all that time more people have been reading everything I have put than I think.
Last week my boyfriend (who is not a Facebook user) went out for drinks with friends and I hadn't heard from him all day. I got into a panic, thinking the worst (due to my anxiety), and in frustration I posted my feelings on Facebook, something like "I don't need this stress in my life!" with added profanity. Instead of messaging me and asking what was wrong, a relative of my boyfriend's automatically assumed I was implying that he was womanizing (which I wasn't), and phoned him to tell him off. Now he's worried false gossip might have got around about him. I do wish his relative had messaged me first asking if everything's OK before assuming I meant something entirely different.

But due to my boyfriend's out of control addiction to smoking, I constantly worry about his health and often I think he's died (he is 20 years older than me). Death is all on my mind at the moment, because my mum was diagnosed with cancer last year, and my brother is often suicidal, and I am constantly living in fear of losing everyone I love due to illnesses and being left alone in this world, it all makes me worry.

Now, I have also created another problem for myself, related to my boyfriend's full day of drinking. I got upset and panicked on that day, and I tell my mum everything, so obviously she knew how upset I was, and suddenly she felt annoyed with him (without letting him know of course). But it turns out that he had a really understandable reason as to why he went out drinking for that long (I won't go all into it), but he said not to tell my mum about the reason why he was out drinking like that because it might worry her (she doesn't need worry on top of the worry of her health). But I wanted to tell her the real reason why he had been stressed enough to drink himself stupid last week, so that she would understand, but because he doesn't want me to, I sort of made up a lie to mum to cover him, because I don't want my mum to think I have chosen the wrong guy here.
It's very hard to keep things from my mum because she gets anxious, and she is like a best friend to me so I tell her everything, and she wants what's best for me, and it wasn't easy for me to just not tell her anything at all as to why he behaved like that last week.

I really hope this mess ends soon. I feel bad for posting profanity on Facebook when I was upset, and I wish I hadn't told my mum any lies, although that wasn't easy. But I have learnt something from this, and that is to never post my feelings on Facebook again. Why am I so f*****g stupid?
I'm too emotionally driven.

EDIT: I think I impulsively share stuff on Facebook because IRL I am sometimes too shy to express myself, so sharing thoughts and feelings on Facebook sometimes helps and I feel like it's a way to get me heard. But this time it has got me in trouble. :oops: :cry: