I got let go on my first day

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

aloofdeer
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2017, 1:45 pm

I really want to kill myself right now. It was my very first day and they let me go because I was too slow and shy. All I had to do was mop floors but I couldn't even do that right. I feel like a huge disappointment to my family :cry:

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 2:18 pm

That would be really discouraging. If that's how they behaved, however, I have a feeling that would have been a pretty terrible place to work. If they can't be bothered to give someone a little training or orientation, or some time to get adjusted to the work, that suggests that they are running a screwed up operation, and there was probably more going on than you could see (like a mean manager taking things out on employees, or a fight within the management over responsibilities, etc.). So it's a definite blow now, but it might have been even worse if you had stayed (an abusive environment, for example).

Everyone who has lived long enough has lost jobs, gotten fired, been cheated by a boss, etc., at one time or another. The only thing you can do is completely put that terrible place behind you and focus on finding another opportunity.

There Are Four Lights!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 2:36 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, aloofdeer.

I agree with Darmok, if this is how impatient they are with a brand new person, then it can't be a very nice place to work. They are wasting their own resources to go to all the time and trouble to interview and look for personnel, only to do this on the first day.

That's not even a sensible way to run a business or to deal with staff. They should have given you tips and training in order to help you settle in.

I know you feel bad now, but try to think of how stupid this company and this boss must be, and how awful it could have gotten had you been continuing to work there.

I once applied for a job where I was told right away they didn't want me because I took too long to fill out the application form!!

Talk about not even giving a person a chance. It was a retail store where anyone interested in the job was welcome to walk in, ask for an application, was given a pen and told to fill it out there in the store. There were a few people plus me there, filling out our forms. The manager guy doing the hiring was there watching over the proceedings. I had taken care to bring all my details and notes on references, and write them in clearly on the form.

I felt like they would be impressed with the thorough nature of all the information I was giving them, and my neat handwriting.

When I finished -- in what I thought was a pretty normal duration of time -- I walked up and handed the form to him, and he took it with a friendly smile and informed me right there that they would not be calling me for an interview because I took too long to fill out my form, and they think that indicates that I'd be too pedantic at things like inventory taking (it was before the computer age) and other tasks. 8O

Some people run their businesses and handle their staff or potential staff in really stupid, thoughtless ways.

Chalk it up to being their loss, and your dodged bullet. :)

aloofdeer
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2017, 3:03 pm

Thank you for the kind words. I wish they would of at least given me a chance to improve. They could of told me I was being too slow I might of been able to do it faster.

I'm feeling a little better now. I just had to express some frustration. Its no wonder they said they're always trying to find someone. It's because they expect too much on the first day!

I felt like it was the end of the world but I have to keep trying I suppose. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 7:15 pm

I got fired because I didn't mop the floor well enough at a bagel shop.

I just said, "screw them," and got a much better job in an office.

I don't recall if you stated that you're going to college, AloofDeer.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 7:20 pm

aloofdeer wrote:
Its no wonder they said they're always trying to find someone.
I think you sure called that one correctly. Here's wishing a new and better job for you. Soon!

Sai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2017, 4:34 pm

Definitely their problem, not yours. All you need is someone to give you a week or so to settle in. Hope you find something!

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 9:54 am

(((AloofDeer)))

I lost my first job my first day, too. I felt like such a failure.

I have been working at my current job for 15 years, still part time but my duties have been expanding. There is hope.

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

09 Sep 2017, 10:39 am

I got let go from a trial in a cafe after 4 hours because the owner insisted I wash the dirty dishes and utensils in cold water. That was 3 years ago 8O

Nowadays this is now my default reaction to anytime someone rejects me:
http://gph.is/1sCrQ83

No hostility, just a coy 3-word response and I'm gone.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 3:02 pm

Was it your first job? If so, no biggie.

You'll live, learn and grow and be more adapt to other jobs, something else will come along sooner or later.

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2017, 9:52 am

I had the "luck" to try out many places where they didn't actually want to employ people. They just wanted to fill one day when they were lack of staff. There is a restaurant near to my parents' place. They have had a sing in the shop window for more than three years that they were looking for a kitchen assistant.
Some aquintances tried to apply, they got a "trial shift" which is most likely the codeword for free labour.
Last year summer I had an interview as a waitress, on my first day they actually told me they were not looking for anyone but too many people were on holiday and they didn't want to pay for a recruitment agency but I could go the following day too in case I needed some extra money. I was like WTF!
And I left.

I am pretty sure it was not your fault.