Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2018, 5:56 pm

I will never understand why people put in earbuds, but then still turn their music up so loud that everyone around them has to hear it. They do realize the point of earbuds and headphones is so that other people won't have to listen to their trashy music with them, don't they? And then if you bring it up, every single time they'll act offended, like not wanting to hear their music the most unreasonable demand anyone could make. Why is this?

EDIT: Whoops, meant to put this in the random forum.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 2:26 am

Because they like their music loud.

And possibly because they're rude & inconsiderate.

And possibly because they're unaware of just how much "sound leak," there is from their headphones. Some are designed to not have a tight fit in order to allow the wearer to hear ambient noises & have conversations, but the result is that a lot of sound comes out around them.

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 3:38 am

I don't know if earphones were invented for the benefit of other people, but to hear the sound better. I'm getting a picture of war-time radio operators all in the same room with headsets on. They really needed to hear their radio only...

I find that the traditional earphones, the solid ones that sit in your pinna, leak way too much sound. Inner-ear earphones can be much closer to your eardrum and prevent back leakage. Sound doubles in intensity if you halve the distance to the source, so inner-ear earphones may not need to be as loud, because they put the source marginally closer to the eardrum. The rubber also directs sound directly to the eardrum too, meaning less lost sound.

Remember Apple talking about how the revolutionised the earphone? Traditional earphones do not sit well in the ear, pointing a lot of the sound in the wrong direction, so they moved the speaker.

So, reason one: earphones are poorly designed.

Reason two probably is that they just don't care, not that they don't know. I'm obsessive about the external volume of my earphones, but will crank it up to full volume if the ambient sound masks the leakage.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 6:22 am

I have to crank mine loud to be able to hear anything over the machinery at work.

I can't wear regular old cheap earbuds, because my ears won't hold them. I have some sports ones that hook over my ear, but the sound is still not great, and sometimes it's sensory overload with headphones + glasses + hair all rubbing on my ears.

I've thought about getting some in-the-ear ones, but I don't want to spend a lot of money if they're going to sound bad, or not fit right, or if I can't hear outside noise through them.