Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 6:49 pm

So apparently your suppose to report when you sell a car not just buy one. I didn’t know thst or when he transferred the title so now I’ll be charged $250 fine and get a traffic violation on my record, all for lousy $150 I sold it for :cry:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 6:55 pm

You see how you extend things too far?

Why would you go to jail? You're not going to jail. You just got a "ticket."

What is the "traffic violation" called? I'll research it. If you can, give me the statute number.

Did you hand over the title of the car to the person you sold the car to?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 7:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You see how you extend things too far?

Why would you go to jail?

What is the "traffic violation" called?

Did you hand over the title of the car to the person you sold the car to?

Failure to pay court fees means jail time. I already spent the $150.

I dont know the Oregon law just says failure to report transfer of car is a class d traffic violation.

Yeah I did. He’s the aquentiance from college. He said he did the transfer last mo day but isn’t sure. So I still have time but I need the same date he put and the vin. Umber of the car.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 7:07 pm

How much are the court fees?

Most likely, they won't put you in jail for "failure to pay court fees." They might make a "judgment" against you which would affect your credit.

Pay the court fees.

A Class D traffic infraction is the least severe out of all traffic infractions. It's exactly the same as speeding less than 10 MPH over the speed limit. It's not a big deal. Really it's not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 7:22 pm

You might be able to go to "traffic school," and get the ticket dismissed.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 7:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
How much are the court fees?

Most likely, they won't put you in jail for "failure to pay court fees." They might make a "judgment" against you which would affect your credit.

Pay the court fees.

A Class D traffic infraction is the least severe out of all traffic infractions. It's exactly the same as speeding less than 10 MPH over the speed limit. It's not a big deal. Really it's not.

I dont know about court fees are ther fees for going to court on top of the fine?

The fine can be $250 a I said. It’s not really a traffic violation though it’s. Paperwork violation

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 7:37 pm

You should call the traffic court.

Like I said. It's not a big deal.

Make sure you have your ticket number ready. That would make the process easier.

Your violation is probably ORS 803.106

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 7:48 pm

Do you have a date to appear in court? If so, forget the phone call. Just appear that day. And don't fail to appear.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you have a date to appear in court? If so, forget the phone call. Just appear that day. And don't fail to appear.

No as he just did the title transfer on 1/29/18 so if he out that as day of sale it’d be 11 days after that I’d get fined for falling to report the sale.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:21 pm

This all sounds quite recent. I have seen in the state that I live that there is very often a nice window of opportunity for you to get the proper paperwork submitted.

I think you just have to get the signature of the buyer and have him date that signature on the day of the sale. I believe that is an honest request since the sale took place on the date that will be written on the sales receipt even though it is being signed after the fact.

The vin number of your car will be on the insurance papers for that car that you most likely still have. If you do not have those papers but did insure the car then call the insurer and they will have that information.

I think you will be fine. Many people undoubtedly make the same mistake when they go through the process of selling their first car.

You can use the system in the link below but it costs $4.99. Personally I have made my own receipts by hand but be sure to research if that is okay in your state by reading through the rules.
https://www.dmv.org/or-oregon/buy-sell/ ... -a-car.php

beady
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:29 pm

Ah that link was not as good as this one. This is I think the actual, official oregon dmv website.
http://www.oregon.gov/odot/dmv/pages/vehicle/sell.aspx
And it states that you have 10 days!

Note that it also says you can sign the title OR a bill of sale.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:32 pm

sly279 wrote:
So apparently your suppose to report when you sell a car not just buy one. I didn’t know thst or when he transferred the title so now I’ll be charged $250 fine and get a traffic violation on my record, all for lousy $150 I sold it for :cry:

I am confused. I never had to report when I got a new car and gave my other car to my in laws and I never got hit with a fine.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:37 pm

I believe the notification of the dmv is mainly to protect the seller/giver. If the car gets in an accident the dmv may come after whoever is the registered owner if there are fines to be levied.
Did you sign over the title? Did they have the car transferred into their name?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:43 pm

beady wrote:
This all sounds quite recent. I have seen in the state that I live that there is very often a nice window of opportunity for you to get the proper paperwork submitted.

I think you just have to get the signature of the buyer and have him date that signature on the day of the sale. I believe that is an honest request since the sale took place on the date that will be written on the sales receipt even though it is being signed after the fact.

The vin number of your car will be on the insurance papers for that car that you most likely still have. If you do not have those papers but did insure the car then call the insurer and they will have that information.

I think you will be fine. Many people undoubtedly make the same mistake when they go through the process of selling their first car.

You can use the system in the link below but it costs $4.99. Personally I have made my own receipts by hand but be sure to research if that is okay in your state by reading through the rules.
https://www.dmv.org/or-oregon/buy-sell/ ... -a-car.php

Yes the buyer gets 30 days and if late a minor dmv feel not a class d violation and huge fine.
I didn’t date the title. It’s common when people sell cars to friends to not date it so the buyer has more then month to transfer if they can’t afford to now.

I thought bill of sales was just a in case they do something before transferring to cover from law suits etc. I didn’t know I had to submit a form to dmv. I just wrote up on on a piece of paper and had him sign it.

I don’t have the insurance papers. I hadn’t driven it in 2 and half years.
There’s an online for, submission i need the plate number and vin number which I no longer have due to selling the car :(

beady
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:52 pm

Check the next link as well. I think you do not actually need a bill of sale but you will need the vin and the license plate I do believe. Can you go see the car where it is now?

beady
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:53 pm

In north carolina where I am, it is also required by law that you turn in the license plate. The buyer has to get a new one. I don't know you rules but I think a call to you dmv would be helpful on Monday.

Also, the dmv may have the vin and the license plate info for you as well.