Reaching out to people in need

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 2:17 pm

I think reaching out is a two way street. It is hard for people to reach out for help when they feel like nobody has their back. It is hard for people to reach out for help when they feel constantly judged and they are made to feel unwanted. It is hard for people to reach for help when people say they will be there for them and they aren't there. All this reach out, somebody cares about you crap doesn't mean crap unless people actually make the effort to care about those in need and show it through their actions.

I think people should reach out to those in need and make them feel wanted and cared about. Reach out to the outcasts, not just the popular people.

What do you all think?

mended
Raven
Raven

16 Jun 2018, 2:40 pm

Not for everyone though - one symptom of ASC is the need to be alone when in distress.

Having people reach out to me is the last thing I want or need. (Shudder)

Perhaps just being there is the answer. Standing by. Ready to help. But not actually reaching out.

Like the Titanic distress call - which was CQD (and not SOS) and meant "please render all assistance short of actually helping" (due to the salvage laws).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 2:45 pm

ladyelaine wrote:
... I think people should reach out to those in need and make them feel wanted and cared about. Reach out to the outcasts, not just the popular people. What do you all think?
I think that unless someone reached out to me when I was homeless, they don't deserve to have me reach out to them.

I also think that anyone who demands that "Someone needs to do something" to help homeless people, then they should pick a few homeless people at random, take them home, feed them, clothe them, house them, and generally care for their every need -- let those Social Justice Warriors show me how it's done first, before they demand that I do anything at all.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 3:21 pm

mended wrote:
Not for everyone though - one symptom of ASC is the need to be alone when in distress.

Having people reach out to me is the last thing I want or need. (Shudder)

Perhaps just being there is the answer. Standing by. Ready to help. But not actually reaching out.

Like the Titanic distress call - which was CQD (and not SOS) and meant "please render all assistance short of actually helping" (due to the salvage laws).

I understand. Sometimes it is nice when people just take the time to listen and be there for you.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 3:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
ladyelaine wrote:
... I think people should reach out to those in need and make them feel wanted and cared about. Reach out to the outcasts, not just the popular people. What do you all think?
I think that unless someone reached out to me when I was homeless, they don't deserve to have me reach out to them.

I also think that anyone who demands that "Someone needs to do something" to help homeless people, then they should pick a few homeless people at random, take them home, feed them, clothe them, house them, and generally care for their every need -- let those Social Justice Warriors show me how it's done first, before they demand that I do anything at all.

I agree. People's actions should match their words.

mended
Raven
Raven

16 Jun 2018, 3:43 pm

ladyelaine wrote:

I understand. Sometimes it is nice when people just take the time to listen and be there for you.

That's a kind reply - & illustrates what I mean too. Just having kind people about is enough for some of us.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 4:30 pm

mended wrote:
ladyelaine wrote:
That's a kind reply - & illustrates what I mean too. Just having kind people about is enough for some of us.
As my grandpa used to say: "Talking ain't doing"...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Jun 2018, 5:26 pm

My 1st girlfriend was a friend who reached out to me when I was very frustrated with my life situation & was ready to run away from it all. It helped me alot & we became a couple after a while cuz she admitted she liked me. Anyways I've always had a hard time reaching out to people offline due to not having many if any friends & my parents being very critical of my many issues/disabilities/quirks since I was little so I never had a close relationship with them. I reached out most on forums when I was going through a bad depression & was single & lonely. Some people reached back to me but everyone got frustrated with me after a while due to my complaining & they thought I was trolling. I don't mind reaching out to people online if I know the person is going through something & I think I'm in a position to help because I know what it's like to have help & not have help.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 10:22 pm

nick007 wrote:
My 1st girlfriend was a friend who reached out to me when I was very frustrated with my life situation & was ready to run away from it all. It helped me alot & we became a couple after a while cuz she admitted she liked me. Anyways I've always had a hard time reaching out to people offline due to not having many if any friends & my parents being very critical of my many issues/disabilities/quirks since I was little so I never had a close relationship with them. I reached out most on forums when I was going through a bad depression & was single & lonely. Some people reached back to me but everyone got frustrated with me after a while due to my complaining & they thought I was trolling. I don't mind reaching out to people online if I know the person is going through something & I think I'm in a position to help because I know what it's like to have help & not have help.

I know what it's like to be without any kind of help during my time of need. I don't want anyone else to go through that so I try to be there for people and listen to whatever they have on their minds.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 11:03 am

I've had homeless people live with me a couple of different times......had a great time with them.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 12:51 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
I've had homeless people live with me a couple of different times......had a great time with them.

That's really cool. If only more people could be like you.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 1:02 pm

Most people are all talk and no action.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 9:40 pm

I tried to help out a few homeless people. They either really tried hard to make things better for themselves or they acted like savages. Never again. Never, ever again.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jun 2018, 7:47 am

ladyelaine wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I know what it's like to be without any kind of help during my time of need. I don't want anyone else to go through that so I try to be there for people and listen to whatever they have on their minds.
Exactly. This is one of the reasons why I was interested in women who had issues & I also felt being supportive was one of the few things I could really offer a partner.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition