Self-affirmation Pledge for those with AS

Page 6 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 2:23 am

I got my Code from a temporary mentor who helped with my long-term interest in biochemistry. Here it is:

Practicality supersedes praise
Reality above fantasy
Originality over conformity
Vision becomes success
Organization complements planning
Society is but inspiration
Truth defeats dishonesty
Practice yields progress
Zeal must support intelligence

I always found it somewhat odd. He always insisted that I list the lines in the order he gave them, although to be fair, he was probably someone with AS. Maybe he received them in a sentimentally valuable order following a long project of some sort?

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 7:49 pm

Quote:
by Liane Holliday Willey

Self-Eradication Pledge
by Bitter Middle-Aged Aspie

Quote:
I am not defective. I am different.

I used to believe that. I would like to believe it again. As far as I can tell, though, the fact is still that difference IS deficit.

Quote:
I will not sacrifice my self-worth for peer acceptance.

Self-worth comes from achievement. Concrete achievement. For Aspies, that's even more true. Without peer acceptance, on some level anyway, how do you expect to achieve anything?? What is achievement?? Who decides??

Quote:
I am a good and interesting person.

I know I am. Someone forgot to tell everyone else.

Quote:
I will take pride in myself.

I will act like I take pride in myself. That is, I will make sure I am neat, clean, and normal-looking before I step out the front door. I will do this because people judge everyone all the time and I am terrified of the consequences of being found wanting.

Quote:
I am capable of getting along with society.

I probably am. I have met society on its terms for years, and I am still alive. What I am NOT capable of doing, is getting along with society as a person in equal standing with other people.

Quote:
I will ask for help when I need it.

I will ask for help before I need it, while I can still ask in a carefully controlled and circumspect manner. Because being in trouble in public is the most dangerous thing you can do in this society. If I can't manage that, I will hide the fact that I need help until the storm has passed and I can once again try to look pretty while I do it.

Quote:
I am a person who is worthy of others' respect and acceptance.

I don't get to decide that. I don't have a mind-control device. I'd like to be deemed worthy of respect and acceptance, but the fact is that my worth in their eyes is up to them to decide. All I can do is try very hard to earn it.

Quote:
I will find a career interest that is well suited to my abilities and interests.

Yeah. I did that. I'm a housemaid and baby factory.

Quote:
I will be patient with those who need time to understand me.

I will be meek and cowed and try very hard to act normal, because the fact is that most people can't understand me and many won't take the time to try. It's easier to assume and judge, and that's what they're going to do.

Quote:
I am never going to give up on myself.

Life seems to be less painful once you fully give up on yourself. I am grateful that I'm not sleeping under a newspaper getting pimped for heroin.

Quote:
I will accept myself for who I am.

Yeah. That was a mistake.

CaptainChaos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2012, 2:20 pm

sunnycat wrote:
by Liane Holliday Willey

I will find a career interest that is well suited to my abilities and interests.

I think I've had a lot of trouble with some of these. Especially getting along with society.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 12:18 am

by Liane Holliday Willey

I am going to read this to myself every morning when I drink my tea.
I think it might help keep me going as I get older.
Thanks for posting it.

Azmodania
Raven
Raven

02 May 2012, 9:14 pm

Thank you for this.

I needed it.

I am me.
I am okay the way I am.

TabrisAngel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2012, 12:32 am

As a victim of oppression on account of certain human weaknesses caused by my unique neurology, I do solemnly pledge to heart all of this affirmation pledge. I will not fail.

For Freedom! For Liberation! For Revolution! Long Live The Otaku Revolution!

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 9:06 am

I will use my emotions as tools to use for my Art, and not as self destruct buttons.

My thoughts had no power or control over me until they became thoughts... my thoughts that there is a bad energy going on to stop me progressing is a thought only. I will hold onto the affirmation that my thoughts had no strength until they became thoughts, and I will try to use this to help me have the strength of good thoughts instead.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 4:29 am

I will not allow myself to look back today in five year's time and not having achieved any goal at all. I will leave my depression well behind. I must build from scratch here, but I will allow fear to be there... I will not fight my fear - it has a use, it must be respected, not pushed away... I must understand that fear will be with me in many life situations but I must achieve my goals with it, and not try to constantly fight it because the reality is that fear will be with me in many life situations, especially those that will take risks.

humanhatred
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 9:13 am

My brain is developed differently so I would call that both different and defective, sadly in my case anyway.

My human body is worth nothing but a piece of garbage that will only get better if a cure for autism is found. Sadly a cure for autism may never be found, so I may be stuck with this condition for the rest of my life.

I think I am quite a boring person actually so nothing interesting about me.

Nothing to take proud of because of the condition I most likely have. Infact, I feel a bit digusted that I have this autism in the first place.

That will not happen, I cannot have a conversation about a topic apart from a few gibbled words. I will not get a job because of my social anxiety and so on.

That is not possible, I am way too shy to even think of asking for help. I guess that is too bad.

No, I am a waste of their space and time because of social problems. I have no idea why people would respect me.

That is unlikely in the long run. Yeah its a shame that I have no abilities, but that is the way the cookie crumbles I suppose. I have a few keen interests, but that is about it.

I almost have, I am on the verge of breaking point. I feel so like giving up already.

That it going to be very hard. Do I accept that in my case that my possible autism may be causing my below average intelligence. Accept that I cannot communicate with other people. I want a cure now!

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 12:08 pm

Written by author/physician and brave WWII holocaust survivor, Viktor Frankl

"He who has a why to live
can bear with almost any how."

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 6:24 pm

I don't care what others think of me.

If they don't like me for who i am its not my issue.

I will not conform to society.

I am not a sheep.

I will never pretend to be someone I am not to make another happy.

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2012, 5:21 pm

Quote:

Damn right. NT people tell me practically every day that they wish they could have my brain.

Quote:

^I've been done doing this s**t for a while now.

Quote:

Everyone may not like me, but I am nothing if not interesting.

Quote:

This is probably the most difficult one here for me. Logically, I have no idea why... I rarely fail at things that I actually try.

Quote:

Senior in college who is in several positions of authority/responsibility, I'd say so.

Quote:

90% of the reason I'm on this site.

Quote:

Never mind, this is the hardest one here. I'll work on believing this one at my deepest levels. For now, fake it til I make it :D

Quote:

In five months I will have two bachelor's degrees and an associates, all of which I will have earned in four years. I have experience working in my field of choice already. I think this is pretty likely.

Quote:

I've always been pretty good at this one.

Quote:

I never have before, and I don't intend to any time soon.

Quote:

I actually disagree with this one. There is ALWAYS room for improvement, in every aspect of everything, whether you're an Aspie or not. Complacency is equal to failure.

TEO
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jan 2013, 10:27 pm

One of those nights... but the OP made me cry.

I wish I could make living it as easy as reading it, but it's really very very inspiring.

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2013, 2:00 pm

kevinjh wrote:
I got my Code from a temporary mentor who helped with my long-term interest in biochemistry. Here it is:

Practicality supersedes praise
Reality above fantasy
Originality over conformity
Vision becomes success
Organization complements planning
Society is but inspiration
Truth defeats dishonesty
Practice yields progress
Zeal must support intelligence

I always found it somewhat odd. He always insisted that I list the lines in the order he gave them, although to be fair, he was probably someone with AS. Maybe he received them in a sentimentally valuable order following a long project of some sort?

Anyone else notice that the opening letters of the lines spell out PROVOST PZ...does that make any sense to you kevinjh?

salad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 11:20 pm

Kilroy wrote:
I an not an idiot
I am not a robot, without emotion
Just because I obsess with things doesn't mean I am a freak

is that a kakashi avatar i see??? yay :D :D

salad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 11:41 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
Quote:
by Liane Holliday Willey

Self-Eradication Pledge
by Bitter Middle-Aged Aspie

Quote:

I used to believe that. I would like to believe it again. As far as I can tell, though, the fact is still that difference IS deficit.

Normal doesn't exist. No 2 humans are a like, thus we are all different. And depending on our differences, certain unique attributes are beneficial and valued, rather than worthless. Einstein was different, but was he deficient?

Quote:

Self-worth comes from achievement. Concrete achievement. For Aspies, that's even more true. Without peer acceptance, on some level anyway, how do you expect to achieve anything?? What is achievement?? Who decides??

By using society's standards as a benchmark you have lowered yourself and your status. In the end you will be nothing more than a slave and puppet if you seek acceptance of others as your primary goal. No one can lower your status without your consent, meaning you are what you view yourself. If you don't accept yourself only then will you be deemed as lowly.

Quote:

I know I am. Someone forgot to tell everyone else.

If you know you are then society is dumb for not knowing as well. Why do you seek the acceptance of idiots like them who fail to see you as special?

Quote:

I will act like I take pride in myself. That is, I will make sure I am neat, clean, and normal-looking before I step out the front door. I will do this because people judge everyone all the time and I am terrified of the consequences of being found wanting.

Quote:

I probably am. I have met society on its terms for years, and I am still alive. What I am NOT capable of doing, is getting along with society as a person in equal standing with other people.

Quote:

I will ask for help before I need it, while I can still ask in a carefully controlled and circumspect manner. Because being in trouble in public is the most dangerous thing you can do in this society. If I can't manage that, I will hide the fact that I need help until the storm has passed and I can once again try to look pretty while I do it.

Quote:

I don't get to decide that. I don't have a mind-control device. I'd like to be deemed worthy of respect and acceptance, but the fact is that my worth in their eyes is up to them to decide. All I can do is try very hard to earn it.

Those who do not respect are not worthy of respect. If you respect them then you have done your part, but if they refuse to respect you then contrary to what you believe it is them who are not worthy of respect.

Quote:

Yeah. I did that. I'm a housemaid and baby factory.

Quote:

I will be meek and cowed and try very hard to act normal, because the fact is that most people can't understand me and many won't take the time to try. It's easier to assume and judge, and that's what they're going to do.

Quote:

Life seems to be less painful once you fully give up on yourself. I am grateful that I'm not sleeping under a newspaper getting pimped for heroin.

Quote:

Yeah. That was a mistake.