Page 2 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Aug 2020, 5:58 am

Amity wrote:
What happened here last night?

Like a lot of the regulars here I've put a great deal of effort into keeping this community viable, the last few days have left me disillusioned.

Polite and honest replies are welcome.

Honestly, I'm feeling quite similarily to you.
I'm a diurnal European and trying to catch up with what happened when I was asleep makes me... sad.
I would love WP to be a welcoming place, not a political platform even for views that I agree with. I'm not even American, I don't want conflicts and painful past and present of this nation to disable the community where I could be who I am without pretending to be "normal" to pass.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 6:10 am

Amity wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Amity wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
One good result of this examination of things is that I got to know fxe better :D

He is kinda alright too, :mrgreen: but the chewing gum man isnt as endearing as the fox or the skunk.

I should have a more endearing avatar shortly. Maybe people might start to like me. :nerdy:

Image :mrgreen: Just a suggestion :jester:

I can't see the image that has put Amity and smudge in a swoon. How can I see it? It appears as a tiny box thingy.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 6:14 am

Teach51 wrote:

I can't see the image that has put Amity and smudge in a swoon. How can I see it? It appears as a tiny box thingy.

I had to go from Firefox to Explorer to see it, the last time that happened.
I can't see it either.

Edit: It didn't work in Explorer either.
I might have to reboot the computer, but I can't be bothered. ;)

Last edited by Pepe on 23 Aug 2020, 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 6:27 am

Pepe wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

I had to go from Firefox to Outlook to see it, the last time that happened.
I can't see it either.

Edit: It didn't work in Outlook either.
I might have to reboot the computer, but I can't be bothered. ;)

Be a darling fxe and post it again in a format that the technically challenged can see:D

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 6:44 am

I can't see it either :( I wanna see what is so cute!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 7:08 am

magz wrote:
Amity wrote:

Like a lot of the regulars here I've put a great deal of effort into keeping this community viable, the last few days have left me disillusioned.

I'm a diurnal European and trying to catch up with what happened when I was asleep makes me... sad.
I would love WP to be a welcoming place, not a political platform even for views that I agree with. I'm not even American, I don't want conflicts and painful past and present of this nation to disable the community where I could be who I am without pretending to be "normal" to pass.

I hear you, it is for me a space that I want to protect. So far making and keeping it that way has needed dogged determination and a tonne of patience.

It just wears me out sometimes, waking up this morning to see a bull in a China shop approach taken in knee jerk reaction style, leaves me feeling even more unwelcome in this space.

I meet American gold standard values in a very specific manner or else there is no room for my voice here, more exclusion.

Usually I would pick up the gauntlet but today I'm feeling apathetic about it all.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 7:13 am

https://antarctic-logistics.com/wp-cont ... 9x1024.jpg

Maybe just the link to FXEs new profile pic will work... :? :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 7:20 am

Amity wrote:
magz wrote:
Amity wrote:

I hear you, it is for me a space that I want to protect. So far making and keeping it that way has needed dogged determination and a tonne of patience.

It just wears me out sometimes, waking up this morning to see a bull in a China shop approach taken in knee jerk reaction style, leaves me feeling even more unwelcome in this space.

I meet American gold standard values in a very specific manner or else there is no room for my voice here, more exclusion.

Usually I would pick up the gauntlet but today I'm feeling apathetic about it all.

It's a hiccup.
Things will settle down again. ;)

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 9:48 am

Alex has made an appearance, Walrus has tried to clarify the rules, new mods are being appointed soon and it there's plenty of activity on WP, it's not all bad.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 10:02 am

Thanks Domineekee.... Much needed perspective.
Having a moan about these changes, am still likely to continue in this vein....
How are you keeping by the way?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 10:05 am

(((Amity)))

I don't know what happened last night either. From what I read above, it appears to be fixed, and with any luck, some of the posters will learn. I am guessing that rules were broken and offenders were counseled.

I have periods of despair as well regarding the lack of basic politeness and human kindness that gets out of control in some threads. (I am not talking here about the more witty of the posters, whose humor brightens my day.) But I also have a lot of faith in the inherent goodness of people.

I know there are a lot of good people here. Some are more skilled than others in navigating social interactions. That is part of our disability and IMHO we would want to support others rather than tearing them down.

I also want this place to continue to be an environment in which I can be myself in all my autistic splendor :lol:
I have never every in my life had a place in which I felt okay to be fully myself. I am so grateful to you all for what you have done to make Wrong Planet a good place to be.

Amity, you have done more than your share in staying patient and loving and on target.

I also feel sometimes that I have to rehearse my words multiple times to try to keep from offending someone. Walking on eggshells is not fun. Soon I think, we all will be able to relax a bit more. I have confidence in the good people here.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 10:10 am

Amity wrote:
[img]
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MyKIo_OZK14/V ... 2BPRAM.jpg[/img]

You're welcome, I have the feeling things are going to settle down soon here on WP.

I'm good thanks, moving on.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 10:29 am

BlazingStar you are someone I hold in high regard, so thank you for the kind words and understanding.

I would hope for you that with time you will feel more comfortable posting in your natural writing style. I have noticed you mention before that you spend much time (and likely theory of mind effort into) checking your words before you post.

For what it's worth, you could just write your own way without walking on eggshells when talking to me, I would like if that was possible.

------------
On a side but related note...

I mean if we have level 1 auties/aspies unable to post without fear their words will be misinterpreted and be condemned for it, how on earth can we ever be inclusive of people with level 2 or 3 Autism, or those with atypical communication abilities?

How can we ever expect the typical world to be accommodating if we cant even extend that to eachother...

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 10:35 am

domineekee wrote:
Amity wrote:

You're welcome, I have the feeling things are going to settle down soon here on WP.

I'm good thanks, moving on.

Glad to hear it, i liked the description of the place you cycled to for coffee beside a bridge, I love the sound of water.
I hope yours and Pepes perspective on this latest, but somehow cyclical hiccup are correct.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Aug 2020, 11:25 am

Amity wrote:
On a side but related note...

I mean if we have level 1 auties/aspies unable to post without fear their words will be misinterpreted and be condemned for it, how on earth can we ever be inclusive of people with level 2 or 3 Autism, or those with atypical communication abilities?

How can we ever expect the typical world to be accommodating if we cant even extend that to eachother...

I'm very worried for it, too. Autism is often all about miscommunication and not getting informal rules of societes. Additionally, a lot of us have mental health issues, get triggered by apparently innocent phrases or can't deal with some seemingly everyday situations.

I really hope we all grow to be more supportive and patient.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 11:51 am

I have had instances here where people thought I was deliberately provoking members here or thought my humor was to make people mad and to create chaos.

To me this makes me feel victimized like I make people uncomfortable for even existing and I think if people are so bothered by me, they can just ignore me.

For a while I felt so afraid to post here thinking the mods will think I am breaking rules again. I wasn't pleased to see one of my sentences being turned into "right wings are stupid" when I never literally said that. I said they were fine with businesses discriminating against people and I meant literally that. If someone had a problem with it, they could have told me something like "League Girl, I want to let you know not all of us think this way and we also disagree with this view so I am concerned you were generalizing the right wing and I hope you know not all of us think this just so you know" than making ASSumptions and projecting NT language onto me.

No action was taken of course but I still hate my words being twisted and NT language projection. My son does this to me all the time but he gets a pass because he is a child. For example, I will tell him to stop being loud and to play quietly and he will say "you don't want me to play." I say back to him "No, I didn't say that, you can play quietly, you don't need to make noise to play." If he still keeps insisting I don't want him to do nothing, I assume it's intentional and he is just being difficult on purpose so I ignore it and say nothing else. I assume this is part of them testing their boundaries but when an adult does it, I have an issue with it. But yet my daughter doesn't do this to me so it really depends on the child. Not all kids will twist your words.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.