Hope and Healing in The Forum

Page 10 of 14 [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

12 Oct 2012, 10:57 am

And what can I do about my parents? They and I get into fights, like the Bears and the Packers; we just don't get along! They make Mormons look like hippies, and all my life they've harassed me in instilling their ways, when I don't want to be a yes-man! They're obstructionists to me.

This is not about obedience, I feel, but rather wanting to come into the world on my own......... which is why I want to file a restraining order against them; they are not to attend my wedding.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 5:47 pm

Yeah........ my life is in ruin.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Dec 2012, 3:46 pm

Hi equestriatola I wish I could offer you a little bit of hope, beyond wishing you strength to cope with these difficult situations. However, I have been through many bad experiences and managed to come through. I am considering writing a book about my experiences, both to encourage others on the spectrum as well as help "NT's" understand better. I was diagnosed 3 years ago and it has helped me tremendously since I'd never even heard of Aspergers until then.
Please feel free to PM me if you wish. You really sound like a nice guy and I enjoy your amusing posts on the Off the Wall forums. :lol:

I joined the website in order to meet others from around the world and to be a friend where I can, and share my own experiences to help others. I cannot possibly condense it all into one manageable post...

Regards
Ross

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 3:21 pm

I would sincerely offer everyone here some serenity even if I,myself struggle to find it.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 11:22 pm

I wish my parents were not as intrusive as me; this is not about love, this is drawing a line in the sand and them knowing when to butt out and not to broach me.

awgthtgtata
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2013, 4:09 pm

With regards to an a far earlier post about fitting in in a NT world. I spent the majority of NY life developing personas to wear in under to fit in. Everybody could see through them but me. I realized finally after snapping that I would never fit in because nobody fits in. I found out the only way to fit in is to be how I really am. If people can't handle the real me than they can all f**k themselves. I have been having fun discovering who I real am and it's awesome. I work on what I want to work on and I am honest with people when I don't. Before I would cater to anybody that asked. Some random stranger needs help fixing their comouter? Sure no problem iI didn't just spend all day fixing the damn things. Truth be told I am done with work when I am done with work now. I need that to prepare for tomorrow.

girly_aspie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 May 2013, 9:55 am

awgthtgtata wrote:
With regards to an a far earlier post about fitting in in a NT world. I spent the majority of NY life developing personas to wear in under to fit in. Everybody could see through them but me. I realized finally after snapping that I would never fit in because nobody fits in. I found out the only way to fit in is to be how I really am. If people can't handle the real me than they can all f**k themselves. I have been having fun discovering who I real am and it's awesome.

This is completely true for me. I was quite the actress, and I had different "characters" to pull out when I needed to use them in front of everyone. With hindsight, they just made me look more odd than anything I was trying to hide. I've made a conscious effort to stop doing that, and my friends are still with me, my family is still with me. Work is a little harder, but I work in the science field, so I'm pretty much surrounded by "different" people, which is nice.

AQ: 44
IQ: 167
Aspie Quiz Result: 185/200
NT result: 22/200
BAP: 132 aloof, 108 rigid and 121 pragmatic

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 2:13 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I intend this thread to be a bit of a bridge between those of us who have found healing, and those who are despairing. Recently a person posted a thread wherein he said there was just too much negativity on this Website. That got me to thinking about what gets posted here. When I look through the Forum section here, it breaks my heart to see so much pain. Quite a lot of this pain is part and parcel of being 'different' and the ostracism that goes with that.
Some of us here are "Elder ASpies' and have the life experience to share how we've learned to cope. How we have learned to appreciate our innate 'difference' and even embrace it, rather than be ashamed of it. How to cope with the stresses that being ASpie put upon us.
I've been posting here for over a year, and I've seen so many posts from people on the verge of suicide. I've been that depressed when I was younger, and I understand how far you can slip into despair.

I want this to be one thread where people can look for a bit of help, and understanding.

Artists & Mental Depression
( From: http://www.ehow.com/about_6160437_artis ... ssion.html )

Possible Causes
According to Jim Carrey, depression feels like a constant low level of despair. Several factors facilitate this state of mind, but for the creative individual, aspects of her work may play a key role in its development. Many artists demonstrate a ruminating personality and hypersensitivity to their surroundings. Health educator Amy Scholten, MPH, suggests that these characteristics, as well as intense psychological pain, "can add depth and meaning to creative work." Immersion in environments which do not support creative tendencies and the social challenges gifted people face throughout their lifetimes may also contribute to mental depression, as such experiences may decrease self-esteem while increasing self-doubt and feelings of inferiority. In addition, most creative endeavors require isolation and solitude. Without a social support network, the artist can succumb to bouts of depression.

Suicide
Many artists throughout history have caved under depression's power. Virginia Woolf, Sylvia Plath, Kurt Cobain, Rembrandt Bugatti and others have ended their lives, leaving behind memorials of their genius. However, not all artists who suffer from mental depression take that drastic step. Methods of coping exist to help an artist through depressive bouts so that he may live to see the effects of his work in the world.

Coping Through Work
Artists may cope with depression through their work. ScienceNews reporter Bruce Bower observes that "fields that tolerate ambiguity and flexibility in creative expression...more readily accept practitioners with mental disorders and allow them to wrestle with their inner demons in their art." In doing so, the artist prevents herself from walling out the world and shutting down creatively.

Creative motivator Eric Maisel emphasizes the importance of a meaningful existence when it comes to creative individuals' mental depression. By creating a "life plan"--a single sentence that summarizes one's lifelong desire--and choosing to pursue work that the sufferer finds worthy, the artist may find the meaning in his existence that was hidden within depression.

Therapeutic Choices
Artists may also use methods similar to those a less right-brained thinker may utilize. Many take mood-altering prescription drugs while others, such as Christina Ricci and Lorraine Bracco, engage in professional counseling. Still others opt to follow Jim Carrey's example and eliminate all alcohol and drugs from their lifestyles.

Notable Sufferers
In addition to those already mentioned, these influential artists, actors, musicians and writers have suffered through mental depression:

Lord Byron
Sheryl Crow
Charles Dickens
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Charles Ives
Billy Joel
Alicia Keys
Michelangelo
Claude Monet
Alanis Morissette
Georgia O'Keefe
Pablo Picasso
Robert Schumann
Peter Tchaikovsky
Leo Tolstoy
Mark Twain
Vincent Van Gogh
Tennessee Williams

( - from ehow)

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jun 2013, 10:28 pm

Beginning last Tuesday evening (June 18,2013), I began getting headaches that came on mainly in the evenings. When they continued through yesterday (June 24) I began to really worry. I called my doctor and made an appointment for later that day. Of course I began thinking all the worst things. As a Christian, I began praying for help. At my appointment, my doctor was convinced these are tension headaches brought on by anxiety. He even noted a lot of tightness in my neck and shoulder muscles. He put me on anxiety medicine (Buspirone). Although the medicine takes awhile to take full effect, my headaches have been better. I give thanks to God for helping me, and I pray this resolves my headache problem.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 10:19 pm

I've only recently started to open up about my past....... be warned, it is a sad story. PM me if you want to hear about it.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 9:32 pm

Now I really want a lifetime restraining order against my parents upon my Los Angeles move......... I need help, guys. I hate their guts so much, and before you say I shouldn't hate my parents, realize this: They have been rather Mormon-like, which is as black-and-white can you get, and their obstructionist ways have led to many wars in my home.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 10:16 pm

equestriatola wrote:
Now I really want a lifetime restraining order against my parents upon my Los Angeles move......... I need help, guys. I hate their guts so much, and before you say I shouldn't hate my parents, realize this: They have been rather Mormon-like, which is as black-and-white can you get, and their obstructionist ways have led to many wars in my home.

After you leave them, regard them as toxic and avoid them. I had to do that for a while. When the time is right healing will come.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 1:58 am

JSBACHlover wrote:
equestriatola wrote:

After you leave them, regard them as toxic and avoid them. I had to do that for a while. When the time is right healing will come.

Maybe, but my first instinct is to go to a court and get a restraining order against them. I have also made a vow that with my sister married, and with my bad luck in finding love, I will NEVER date or get married, EVER.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 8:00 pm

I can't take the world anymore. I need help, desperately.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 10:23 am

I wanted to leave two sources for depression-themed comics here. They're meant to be more about sharing than humor, though one of them might give you a good laugh and seeing that someone knows and can illustrate what's going on might provide some company.

http://www.depressioncomix.com/

Part 1: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2 ... ssion.html
Part 2: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2 ... t-two.html

DoubleCatrin
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2014, 7:27 am

wow nice comics Cofeebean,thanks for sharing them :D

imaginary? bartender at
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=262032&start=285