Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 11:49 am

Looked at a bachelor apartment today. Didn’t mind the size even though it was small. But I’m wondering what’s the point of getting it, if the pastor at the soup kitchen said it’s a bad idea because the rent is high. So apparently that means she won’t be helping much. I see her give out bags of food and clothes to other people while she only gives me one bag and no clothes but I never complain about it because I figure they’re more needy than me. But she never offered to give me more food if I end up in a bachelor where the rent is high when I talked to her about it. She thinks it’s a better idea for me to get a roommate so I don’t have to live in a slum rooming house anymore. Mom said she couldn’t help much because she can’t work as much anymore because she’s getting too old. Mom yelled at me all weekend, and I’m not even sure why she yells at me all the time anymore. She’s always been stern and crazy but has gotten worse since menopause. Mom was my only friend left in this world. I can’t deal with her anymore because she yells at me all the time. I’m not sure if I’d be able to support myself if I got that bachelor apartment. You guys suggested a group home.
Not really looking forward to living in one of those places. But I’ll think about it. I know they have me on the wait list to get into several of them but that will take an eternity because according to them I have some skills in order to survive.

I needed to vent here today, because it’s not a good idea to call mom and complain about things anymore. She said she’s getting burnt out from it. I’m too depressed to do anything right now because of the way mom was treating me. Idk maybe it’s a good idea to see if I can get a job that a person with cognitive problems could do while I’m living in this slum. Just to see if I can do it.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 12:48 pm

Oh dear. That sure does sound like a frustrating place to be in life.

Quote:
Idk maybe it’s a good idea to see if I can get a job that a person with cognitive problems could do while I’m living in this slum. Just to see if I can do it.

Success could be encouraging.

And it looks like there is great need for success and encouragement.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 1:19 pm

Yeah I need to be getting more help from mental health. I need to accomplish more.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 3:02 pm

How much is the rent?

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 3:19 pm

It’s $700 plus a power bill but heat is included. Disability in Canada gives me $850 a month to live on. That wouldn’t be a problem but I’m now hypo glycemic and need to get enough food so I don’t have low blood sugar episodes. Although I could get 100 dollar rent subsidy, I’m still worried I wouldn’t have enough to eat.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 3:25 pm

You would probably still have to use the soup kitchen.

How much are you paying at the residence you are at now?

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 3:36 pm

Only $450 with no bills. The rent doesn’t go up much here either. Now that I think of it, I might be able to get another $100 from my disability because of my hypoglycaemia. I’m not entirely sure but I guess it’s worth a try calling and asking.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 4:41 pm

How would you feel living alone?

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 4:50 pm

I’m at the point I don’t care if I’d be living alone. I don’t talk to people much in here anyway. But another thing holding me back from getting that bachelor is other health problems. I save a decent amount of money where I am right now so I can take care of my body better, getting the right foods and medicine. So maybe it’s best to get a job where I’m living now, to see if I’m even fit to work these days. I don’t know what else to do.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 11:22 am

Sarahsmith wrote:
It’s $700 plus a power bill but heat is included. Disability in Canada gives me $850 a month to live on. That wouldn’t be a problem but I’m now hypo glycemic and need to get enough food so I don’t have low blood sugar episodes. Although I could get 100 dollar rent subsidy, I’m still worried I wouldn’t have enough to eat.

I don't think it's possible to pay for food and bills with less than $40 per week.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 12:26 pm

She would get about $50 a week extra total in subsidies.....but it's still not very much at all.

At this moment in time, $700 per month plus bills is too much rent.

Don't you still have to visit the soup kitchen even while paying $450 a month with no bills?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 12:28 pm

Would your disability payments increase if you could also claim a housing expense?

Sometimes they factor in housing expenses / rent and increase payments.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 12:31 pm

I recall you mentioned some older lady who was looking for a roommate.