Verbal Communications Differences and Difficulties Sticky

Page 24 of 32 [ 510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 32  Next

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2011, 7:53 pm

ProfessorX wrote:
I suppose for me when it comes to communication my difficulties are not just in the areas of understanding verbal communication but even sometimes mis-understanding written forms of communications such as emails & posts. :oops:
I realize to most people on the internet my writing style is so awkward and does not follow very good grammar structure rules i.e punctuation,indention,etc that often most persons feel that somehow I must be some teenager.
Honestly, I'm no teenager and I do sincerely try to get my point across but, often I wind up simply making myself look either stupid or foolish for such.. Honestly, I do enjoy being part of WP even at times when I feel I've been overlooked I keep pushing forwards with trying to be understand & heard..

I understand. It's tough. :(

I wonder why automatically it's bad to be a teenager? Perhaps others feel one will be rambunctious or a troublemaker in general? There are lots of thoughtful people - you appear to be one.

I don't know you but have seen some of your other posts. You came across as an adult to me, and not a foolish one either. I think it's great that you keep going despite feeling misunderstood.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 2:18 pm

Twolf, thanks most kindly sir for, even I'm 38 years of age I could pass physically for someone in their 50's, long story.
Still, I do try my best with whatever I post and try not to overtly worry when I make communication mistakes though it's not easy.However, I continue forwards..

Signed,
ProfessorX

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 1:14 pm

tounge tied and twisted, just an earth bound misfit , I
VV Pink Floyd VV
http://youtu.be/aaw25N8yxNY

recycledwit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2012, 12:35 pm

This thread is sososo comforting! Like many have said, I always thought mutism was interesting but never stopped to consider how I had in fact been selectively mute for as long as I could remember!

Even in trying to type out this reply, I find it hard to make the correct words come out (and have deleted and retyped MANY things). I'm extremely grateful for being able to type/text messages to people in this modern age rather than being forced to phone or visit. You can't reread and retype when you're speaking aloud!

After years of observing conversations around me, I'm getting a little better at making small talk. Every time I try to speak with people, I honestly consider it practice or a workout! NTs don't realize how easy they have it to be able to say anything with ease.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 1:35 am

I am not having much luck coming up with words lately, most of what comes to mind is something like "aughhh...".

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 12:55 am

I feel really alone but I don't have any words I feel like I can say. No one else has posted since me, does anyone have similar problem. Not mute but just feel like can't say real things at any cost, too sacred, have to preserve what's left of the connections I have. Prob. made no sense.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 1:41 am

purchase wrote:
I feel really alone but I don't have any words I feel like I can say. No one else has posted since me, does anyone have similar problem. Not mute but just feel like can't say real things at any cost, too sacred, have to preserve what's left of the connections I have. Prob. made no sense.

Not these days. Are you scared of reaction to what you say?

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 1:49 pm

nostromo wrote:
purchase wrote:

Oh thank you for answering. No I'm not afraid of reactions. I mean the things seem literally too sacred, like I'll destroy them, by saying them. I get into this mode quite often. Hard to explain.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 4:33 am

purchase wrote:
nostromo wrote:
purchase wrote:

Oh thank you for answering. No I'm not afraid of reactions. I mean the things seem literally too sacred, like I'll destroy them, by saying them. I get into this mode quite often. Hard to explain.

That is hard for me to understand!

Aside from when you feel like that, i.e. at other times can you talk OK? I mean is it easy for you to talk?

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2012, 12:24 am

I am very glad to find this place. taking is very hard for me.

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2012, 1:30 pm

dossa wrote:
ProfessorX wrote:
There are many times I'd like to say something though often when I either go to say it or put it in written sometimes it comes out not fully decipherable..

I get that as well. Even though I tend to do better with type/written speak, I still find that I delete/throw away 95% of what I get written as it seems clear and concise when I write it, but seems so completely wrong once I review it. That can be frustrating as it generally takes me twenty minutes to get out one paragraph... unless it is a research paper or some such thing... those things are cake for me. Everything should be so easy.

...side note... hello ProfessorX! It has been awhile. I hope you are well :)

I feel very similarly to both sentiments. I hate conversations because by the time I've figured out what to say and how to say it, I've missed my "in" by about 2 minutes and the moment is no longer opportune.

I love typing because it's so much easier to edit and re-edit and re-re-re-re-edit until the right thing comes out. I credit typing and the Internet to starting my relationship with my boyfriend/fiancee.

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2012, 1:32 pm

Woodfish wrote:
i've tried a lot to understand how this with verbal and non-verbal works in my case. i feel it is difficult for me to see it clearly at all.

i think i was expected to be "clever" by family early on .. and somehow tried very hard to not disappoint them .. i think what happened is that there were in a sense two mes .. one verbal .. even almost hyper-verbal. and then also there were what i now feel to be the real me. the non-verbal part.

so, i feel i may still very easily be the verbal me i used to be. but as far as i can tell that makes me basically completely paralysed. i mean in the sense i will do nothing. i will be so busy being verbal there will be no energy left in me to also live .. be a person .. have a life ..

so, ever more these days. i have to deliberately stop the inner babbling .. yet again reconnect to non-verbal real me. and only then is stuff in any way possible. like a thing like buying groceries .. or going to the library. pretty basic stuff. i have to plan and see them as the non-verbal me doing them otherwise they are out of reach.

so to me these days .. it is a bit like .. i will easily feel distracted by let's say a loud radio or tv .. and only when it is turned off is it any use at all for me to start thinking. i feel ever more like that is also the case with my inner monologue .. only when i manage to turn that off is any planning and acting going to happen.

That's interesting. I wonder practicing that would help me at all.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 7:30 am

I have a very hard time defending myself (verbally, that is). I've noticed that if someone gets the situation wrong, which of course can happen, I cannot ever right the situation. Even when I've clearly done nothing, at all, wrong I still can come across almost as if I'm guilty.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 7:48 am

LabPet wrote:
I have a very hard time defending myself (verbally, that is). I've noticed that if someone gets the situation wrong, which of course can happen, I cannot ever right the situation. Even when I've clearly done nothing, at all, wrong I still can come across almost as if I'm guilty.

I have the same thing happen to me very often. It also happens a lot when people misunderstand me - I often can't verbally correct them.

Although in certain areas I have no problem defending myself/my opinion - for example, when writing music with other people, I'm very clear about it when I don't like something. I also sometimes get overly enthusiastic about things when I'm extremely convinced that I'm correct about something.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 12:15 pm

I feel like I kind of belong here.

I was mute for 2 years during high school - I would literally speak only to 3 particular people, and never while others were around. Luckily one of them knew me well enough that he could read my mind most of the time and speak for me whenever necessary.

Nowadays, I do speak but I go through times, periods or situation where it is impossible for me to do so. When I am embarrassed, I cannot speak (not that it matters, because when I am embarrassed I just run away anyway). Or sometimes if I go through a extremely bad period, I cannot speak then either. Sometimes when I start to get overstimulated or am around lots of strangers, I am unable to speak then also.

I tend think kinesthetically / visually / patterns, which in some regards makes it much more difficult for me to communicate with words. I struggle greatly with accurately expressing myself in written format, but it is much, much worse verbally. What also doesn't help is that I mix up words, letters, or my word order occasionally, along with not being able to spell - naturally people tend to mock me for these things even though it is not something I can control, it's not lack of education or me not paying attention, my brain is just wired a bit differently and sometimes gets signals mixed up in those areas.

I have given up defending myself verbally, it's just one of the times when I cannot speak. You're right in saying that all it does is make you look guilty and while it does annoy me, these days I don't waste my time correcting other peoples assumptions and judgements, it's their own problem to deal with.

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2012, 2:15 pm

Kjas wrote:
I have given up defending myself verbally, it's just one of the times when I cannot speak. You're right in saying that all it does is make you look guilty and while it does annoy me, these days I don't waste my time correcting other peoples assumptions and judgements, it's their own problem to deal with.

I wish I was at that point.