What's the most dangerous situation you've ever been in?

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

majikat1086
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Nov 2010, 7:06 pm

Oh, another time I was in an almost really bad car accident...we were on the highway, going like 70, and around a curve there was some gravel at the edge of the road we hit, started spinning like crazy and ended up facing the other direction in the other lane.
had the car spun another 10 feet or so, we would've gone over the edge into a river...and also, had it happened 5 minutes later, a semi-truck came by, and that woulda killed us too.
I thought I was gonna die before we stopped spinning around....

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 8:00 pm

I was at home alone and I got up to to use bathroom and it sounded like thunder or something strange. I had no clue what it was. Come to find out it was a minor earthquake! A earthquake in DC? I think the actual center was somewhere in Maryland.

I remember Hurricane Isabel. The winds, the rain, it was really scary. No power, no water, trees down, damage to homes. It was a very scary few days. I know Hurricane Katrina was much worse. :cry:

Living on base in Seoul Korea we got a lot of these newspaper clippings or something. North Koreans would fly above and drop these down. Oh and there would be South Korean protestors by the US Army gate. Living overseas can be frigtening too.

I was playing basketball with an older cousin and I fell face first on the pavement. Oh yea it hurt. I was 10 at the time. I could have broke my jaw or nose. I still have a somewhat bruise on my lower chin.

When I was in college it started to snow really hard and then they decided to finally shut down the school at noon. It took me 2 hours to get home and usually it took me 15 min. I almost got in a car wreck on a major road. My car did a 360 and I was so scared I would have hit something or gone off the road.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 8:03 pm

War. Got shot at by AKs a few times, Dragunov SVD (we think) once, mortars (lots), bigger artillery (few times), AAA guns like ZSU 23 and 37. f*****g as*holes turning those down against ground targets. Kind of like being inside a microwave popcorn bag.

So yeah. That was standard stuff. Whatever man, as long as you don't get shot. Kind of exciting to talk about after it's over.

Watching civilians blown up to pieces (I mean literally) and searching for mass graves was much more traumatic than getting shot at.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 8:19 pm

Two months after I moved into my apartment, I've decided to check my mail box in the lobby. There was an old man in a wheel chair who asked me to help him with a broken zipper that he purposely torn apart from the bottom. I've started to help him, and than he grabbed me by my jacket collar and he tried to French kiss me, which is an act of rape for a crippled man. I kept men away from me by spiking my hair and letting myself go. I wish I didn't do that. That's what the spiked blue and green hair and weight gain was about.

Now I'm back to being Shelby and followng the Weight Watchers system that I know.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 9:20 pm

The situation that I'm currently in.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 10:13 pm

Dilbert wrote:
Watching civilians blown up to pieces (I mean literally) and searching for mass graves was much more traumatic than getting shot at.

I hope you are safe from ever having to experience anything like that again and that you're able to do whatever you need to to work out the trauma. Your post made me very reflective.

Once when I was three I was caught between my parents when my dad was simultaneously trying to take me from my mother and murder her. My memory ends with him smashing a windshield in my face. i don't know if I was hurt or not. He was in a blind rage.

As an infant some babysitter stabbed me with an ink pen. Crazies.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 11:31 pm

happymusic wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

I hope you are safe from ever having to experience anything like that again and that you're able to do whatever you need to to work out the trauma. Your post made me very reflective.

Once when I was three I was caught between my parents when my dad was simultaneously trying to take me from my mother and murder her. My memory ends with him smashing a windshield in my face. i don't know if I was hurt or not. He was in a blind rage.

Happymusic,

I am so sorry that you had to endure those experiences. *hugs* It always amazes me how brutal humans can be to other humans. Especially those who have a charge they are responsible for.

Talis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2010, 11:34 pm

Starting toward the end of junior year or the beginning of senior year in high school I started getting lung collapses in my left lung. For quite some time they had gone un-checked and my doctor even just told me my pains were from weak muscles in my back. Anyway the collapses seemed normal to me until they got severe and my doctor finally got an x-ray that showed my problem was that my lung was completely deflated. I was set up for surgery pretty much immediately. About a year later I started getting the same collapses in my right lung... and by then I really just figured "What ever" and let it go for awhile until it got pretty bad. I went to my doctor who panicked and sent me to my surgeon the same day... and he was erm... very upset at me for someone who barely knows me :? Anyway I guess with a collapsed lung... if it stays deflated for too long, fluid begins to collect and can even stop your heart from beating. So I could have died had my body given up on me. Yeah it kind of makes me realize that for my entire senior year in high school I could have just dropped dead since my doctor made no effort to really analyze what was wrong with me until he got tired of my visits and ordered an x-ray out of annoyance :roll:

My lungs are so awesome though... because withing about another year or two from my second surgery my left lung collapsed again. Then my surgeon appeared to be very embarrassed that his previous work failed and told me they were going to operate with a more serious procedure. I was annoyed by then because I was very curious as to why he didn't do that procedure in the first place. Yes it was more painful, but erm... I think having a warm-up surgery is is pretty painful too :roll:

Just crossing my fingers that my right lung doesn't go out again and have to see my surgeon dumb-faced again :wink:

Kenani
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Nov 2010, 1:21 am

When I was ten or so I went with my family to an all-inclusive resort in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. On the first day, me, my little brother, and my dad went down to the beach while exploring the hotel. It was a red flag day, but we figured that it wouldn't do any harm to just wade into the water. We were wrong, of course. Me and my brother were pulled out into the waves and my dad was pulled out when he tried to get us. I remember being completely tossed around, pummeled, and dragged across the sand, and quickly holding my breath whenever my head came above the surface. We were saved when all the people on the sand, who, fortunately for us, were mostly strong and healthy twenty-something-year-old men, noticed us or heard our calls for help and rushed to drag us out. After that, the vacation was mostly fun. :o

Kenani

06 Nov 2010, 1:21 am

Curse you, double-posts!

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 7:18 am

billybud21 wrote:
happymusic wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Happymusic,

I am so sorry that you had to endure those experiences. *hugs* It always amazes me how brutal humans can be to other humans. Especially those who have a charge they are responsible for.

Thanks. :) My dad just didn't know what he was doing. He wised up as he got older. And he's got his own problems. I love him and pity him. When I was about 30 he and I had a disagreement and I suddenly realized that that I had become stronger than he was and could easily win the fight if I needed to. It was a strange moment. He had always been big and strong (Hawaiian version of the Rock).

I don't know what was up with the babysitter but my mother never revealed much about them. I have a "tattoo" from them getting me with the pen. Meh, no big deal. :)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 11:06 am

every body's got one.

there were many dangerous situations i lived through.

i am too tired now to detail them but i will try to describe one of them that was exciting and not really that dangerous.

i was in an airplane that aborted it's landing because there was a 747 taxiing along a perpendicular runway to the one we were supposed to land on.

i was in a 737 coming back to sydney from adelaide, and it was early night time (about 8pm) and i was watching out my window as we descended. we got lower and lower and lower, and then i saw the wire fence boundary of the runway pass under and i expected i would feel the grip of the wheels hitting the tarmac in about 10 seconds after we crossed over the fence.

we descended a bit more and then we leveled out. the wheels were about 10 feet (3 meters) from the concrete and we were no longer descending.

i thought "come on! come on! put it down!" in the direction of the cockpit, as we were seemingly well along the runway at that time.

then the plane accelerated with extreme force and angled up into the sky at an almost vertical degree.

the acceleration was so intense that i was thrown back in my seat and i was not able to even pull my arms forward. my back and neck and body was pushed deeply into the seat, and there was a loud high pitched "blender" sound from the engines and the plane lifted up toward the sky at an angle of about 75 degrees i am sure. we rocketed upward, and the ground sped away from us so fast, that by the time i registered that we were not landing, the cars looked as small as ants below.

then we leveled out after about 30 seconds and the captain said " well ladies and gentlemen.. you may have noticed that we decided to abort our landing. it seems that there was a 747 taxiing on the runway where we were given clearance to land. we shall now select a pattern that will take us around the parramatta perimeter, and we will be landing at kingsford smith in about 15 minutes".
there was no panic among the passengers during the incident.
one passenger behind me said after about 20 seconds into the abort "hmmmm bit of a worry"

i must say that a 737 with full power applied is a major thrill.

anyway i could have said all this better if i typed it tomorrow. i am tired and scratchily autistic right now because i worked today, and i should have slept before i spoke.

but that is life in the big smoke.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 11:36 pm

I suppose waking up to a burglar pointing a 9mm Smith & Wesson at my head would probably take first place.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 3:21 am

Stuck a spoon in the back of a 240v electric socket when I was one year old, blew myself across the room apparently and melted the end of the spoon. We kept that spoon for years.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 9:29 am

b9 wrote:
every body's got one.

there were many dangerous situations i lived through.

i am too tired now to detail them but i will try to describe one of them that was exciting and not really that dangerous.

i was in an airplane that aborted it's landing because there was a 747 taxiing along a perpendicular runway to the one we were supposed to land on.

i was in a 737 coming back to sydney from adelaide, and it was early night time (about 8pm) and i was watching out my window as we descended. we got lower and lower and lower, and then i saw the wire fence boundary of the runway pass under and i expected i would feel the grip of the wheels hitting the tarmac in about 10 seconds after we crossed over the fence.

we descended a bit more and then we leveled out. the wheels were about 10 feet (3 meters) from the concrete and we were no longer descending.

i thought "come on! come on! put it down!" in the direction of the cockpit, as we were seemingly well along the runway at that time.

then the plane accelerated with extreme force and angled up into the sky at an almost vertical degree.

the acceleration was so intense that i was thrown back in my seat and i was not able to even pull my arms forward. my back and neck and body was pushed deeply into the seat, and there was a loud high pitched "blender" sound from the engines and the plane lifted up toward the sky at an angle of about 75 degrees i am sure. we rocketed upward, and the ground sped away from us so fast, that by the time i registered that we were not landing, the cars looked as small as ants below.

then we leveled out after about 30 seconds and the captain said " well ladies and gentlemen.. you may have noticed that we decided to abort our landing. it seems that there was a 747 taxiing on the runway where we were given clearance to land. we shall now select a pattern that will take us around the parramatta perimeter, and we will be landing at kingsford smith in about 15 minutes".
there was no panic among the passengers during the incident.
one passenger behind me said after about 20 seconds into the abort "hmmmm bit of a worry"

i must say that a 737 with full power applied is a major thrill.

anyway i could have said all this better if i typed it tomorrow. i am tired and scratchily autistic right now because i worked today, and i should have slept before i spoke.

but that is life in the big smoke.

The same thing happened to me except I was in a 767 and it was a private plane on the runway. I also have been in a plane that was struck by lightning while landing at O'Hare. That plane was a MD 90.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 9:55 am

Kaysea wrote:
I suppose waking up to a burglar pointing a 9mm Smith & Wesson at my head would probably take first place.

8O 8O What happened??????

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)