Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2023, 12:16 pm

Persephone29 wrote:

I rarely leave a book unfinished, but I couldn't finish this one. I just couldn't make sense of it. That being said, I love horror. Clive Barker, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, etc... The weirder, the better.

The story is definitely presented in a very strange and roundabout way, but so far I'm able to follow it. I'm only about 75 pages in though, so maybe I'll get too lost as time goes on (although getting "lost" seems to be part of the point of this book, considering the theme)

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2023, 1:05 pm

I just finished a 19th-early 20th century Horror anthology from Dover publications. I've loved Horror and ghost stories since childhood, but hate most Horror movies. The Phantom Coach (1864) is one of my favorite Horror shorts; I don't think I have ever read a mid-late 20th century or 21st century Horror work that was not Goosebumps or Carrie. I personally find the news more upsetting than any fiction I read.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 4:47 pm

RandoNLD wrote:
I just finished a 19th-early 20th century Horror anthology from Dover publications. I've loved Horror and ghost stories since childhood, but hate most Horror movies. The Phantom Coach (1864) is one of my favorite Horror shorts; I don't think I have ever read a mid-late 20th century or 21st century Horror work that was not Goosebumps or Carrie. I personally find the news more upsetting than any fiction I read.

For shorts, I like Ambrose Bierce. Specifically The Boarded Window, although I liked a lot of his other stories too. It helps to add to the attraction that he mysteriously disappeared, in Mexico I believe.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 4:52 pm

For me it has to be The Ring:

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jun 2023, 1:03 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
RandoNLD wrote:

For shorts, I like Ambrose Bierce. Specifically The Boarded Window, although I liked a lot of his other stories too. It helps to add to the attraction that he mysteriously disappeared, in Mexico I believe.

The Moonlit Road by Bierce was in the collection. He did indeed disappear in Mexico while covering its revolution for a newspaper. I was happy to see The Monkey's Paw in the book as well, due to its various movie/t.v. adaptations (even the Simpsons did a Halloween episode) but I' had never read it before.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2023, 10:16 pm

RandoNLD wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
RandoNLD wrote:

The Moonlit Road by Bierce was in the collection. He did indeed disappear in Mexico while covering its revolution for a newspaper. I was happy to see The Monkey's Paw in the book as well, due to its various movie/t.v. adaptations (even the Simpsons did a Halloween episode) but I' had never read it before.

I first read him when I was a kid. It was a collection of works by various writers, a few of his stories were in there. I haven't read everything by Bierce, but I'm going to have to look for more now.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 4:45 pm

EdwardMatthew wrote:
I'm also Not really into horror media. Mostly because I will either get very upset by it or find it really stupid. I guess thrillers are more better then horror movies. :lol:

I concur about thriller films being better than horror movies.

I got picked on a lot when I was in grade school and middle school, so it's the factor of tension in thrillers
that make thrillers so appealing to me.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2023, 5:16 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

I concur about thriller films being better than horror movies.

I got picked on a lot when I was in grade school and middle school, so it's the factor of tension in thrillers
that make thrillers so appealing to me.

What's the connection between having been picked on and enjoying the tension of thrillers?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 5:27 pm

I used to like some types of Horror stories as a teen, but most modern Horror writer are lazy (can't think of where the story should move next? Let's add so gratuitous violence or gore). Its the same with films, they rely too much on special effects to cover huge plot holes or the fact that there isn't really a plot to speak of in the first place.