Page 8 of 12 [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 8:39 am

I've never been keen on memes me

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 9:03 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
I tend to take some things for granted, and neglect to mention, cos I assume they'd be basic humane logic. Things like taking women seriously, actually listening to what they say, not dismissing what they say out-of-hand, not telling them how they should feel or think about a given situation, etc. Acknowledgment... it's hard to address a problem that some people don't even fully believe really is a problem, isn't it?
It still shocks me when basic human decency is lacking to such an extreme extent. Of course, I live with this stuff every day. I don’t really know what it’s like anymore not to carry this weight. Progress IS a challenge when so many people refuse to see that there’s a problem because it’s more comfortable to believe that there isn’t one.
In that sense, asking women why they don't "just fight back" is sorta like the ignorance behind asking women why they don't "just leave" abusive relationships. It's usually not as simple as "just leave".
There’s often some premeditation going on to limit the extent a person can resist. In abusive relationships that include rape, there are different modes of control, like financial, religious, threats, blackmail, etc. Most people know about fight, flight, or freeze, but there’s also feign / fawn / appease. Sometimes people don’t fight back because they are doing what they think they need to do to survive in that moment and / or overall. Every situation is different. Sometimes people are so beaten down they don’t have any fight left. When folks say that people should’ve fought back, left, been more aware of red flags, or called the police, victims hear: “It was your fault.” Such noise typically comes from a place of ignorance, but it’s still harmful because it places the responsibility on the victim rather than the perpetrator.
It occurs to me - so many guys, especially on here, see sex as such a wonderful and desirable thing, something they desperately want, the idea of sex being forced upon them in their mind would be like being forced to have a delicious meal with your favorite foods. "Oh no! A girl is forcing me to do something I desperately want to do! How horrible! :mrgreen: " And they think it will be kinky and erotic, and maybe just make them feel a little awkward afterwards, but no biggie.

I suspect they're not seeing it from the perspective of being invasive, undesirable, scary, painful, or dangerous.
Yeah, I must admit that I’ve wondered about that myself. A guy I confided in once actually asked me if I enjoyed it. :roll: The same thing happened to Elizabeth Smart when she went on a blind date with someone. I’m not sure what needs to happen in order for people low on empathy to understand / get it / relate. It is good that more people feel like they can talk about it, but rape myths and stigma are still prevalent. In my experience, rape is degrading, humiliating, scary, and painful. It’s not like sex.
Of course, at the end of the day, it's not as important that people can relate to trauma, so long as they understand that traumatic experiences exist, and are willing to accept, rather than argue with, feedback given by those who have experienced trauma.

I guess it wouldn't be a discussion about the equitable treatment of women without someone playing the "some people just want to hate on men for being men" card...

Seems to me they don't dislike ALL men, just the ones with personalities that cause them to assault women - or personalities that make them catastrophically tone-deaf...
It’s worrisome when people take discussions of abusive folks personally. Instead of care or concern about actual abuse people experience, they make it about them despite constant reassurance that it’s not ALL men. It’s utterly absurd. If someone does have a negative attitude about all men due to their experiences, such treatment would be unlikely to change it. While I think empathy is more of an innate trait, some people could work on compassion. I’m not just referring to WP but to people in general. Society needs to be a more welcoming place for survivors.

If people were more compassionate, maybe fewer women would prefer to be alone with a bear in the woods than a strange man.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 9:34 am

In that sense, asking women why they don't "just fight back" is sorta like the ignorance behind asking women why they don't "just leave" abusive relationships. It's usually not as simple as "just leave".

TwilightPrincess wrote:
There’s often some premeditation going on to limit the extent a person can resist. In abusive relationships that include rape, there are different modes of control, like financial, religious, threats, blackmail, etc. Most people know about fight, flight, or freeze, but there’s also feign / fawn / appease. Sometimes people don’t fight back because they are doing what they think they need to do to survive in that moment and / or overall. Every situation is different. Sometimes people are so beaten down they don’t have any fight left. When people say that they should’ve fought back, left, been more aware of red flags, or called the police, victims hear: “It was your fault.” Such noise typically comes from a place pf ignorance, but it’s still harmful.

I hate any advice which begins with the word "Just .... " The advice for victims to "Just leave!" is reductionist, ableist, and sexist against women. It suggests that abused women are subservient or dependent chattel who reside in men's homes with nothing to lose by leaving. Even if that were true, it's not easy to leave when you've been threatened or had your children's lives threatened, when you're tracked on GPS, and you're afraid for your life.

Most women and/or their children who are murdered by the woman's intimate partner are killed during her planning or actual execution of the escape.

The rhetoric of "Just leave!" causes secondary wounding. Not only have women been abused but then they're portrayed as vassals who should just walk out the door because they can't possibly own the mortgage or the property themselves ... on account of being female. What if the woman owns the house or holds the lease, and can't get the MAN to leave?

What if she owns a house and doesn't live with the offender, but he's committed to stalking and otherwise harassing her? Does she as victim relocate into hiding and lose everything including her support system, or should the justice system perhaps get off their collective arse and do something to remove and try these problem men?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 May 2024, 2:23 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Question for men -

Would you rather your wife / girlfriend / sister be in the woods with a man or a bear?
I forgot to answer this. I'd pick bear unless that man was me :wink: However I would also pick bear over her being in the woods with a strange woman or for myself instead of being in the woods with a strange man or woman.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 2:50 pm

:heart: :afro: :tongue:

deception...blinds your perception
my reflection
outshines the other colours in the spectrum

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 2:54 pm

^ What’s your point?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 3:04 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Most women and/or their children who are murdered by the woman's intimate partner are killed during her planning or actual execution of the escape.
Yep, that is correct.
Quote:
Approximately 75% of women who are killed by their batterers are murdered when they attempt to leave or after they have left an abusive relationship.

https://domesticabuseshelter.org/domest ... lationship.

I had to get to the point where I didn’t care if I lived or died. My life was a living hell, and I couldn’t bear it any longer. It’s hard to get back into that mindset. Things were precarious for a while. That’s for sure.

Dismissive comments or those which make light of trauma in any way suck. Secondary wounding causes a lot of harm. It’s usually more about ignorance than maliciousness though.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 3:08 pm

I think the video is kind of a reverse-gender thing. Maybe the woman with the nail in her head is supposed to represent abusive men who want to talk about how bad things are for them, without doing anything to fix it.

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 3:17 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
^ What’s your point?

nevermind...i shouldnt be posting on this site...its just not good for me...farewell...but be sure to check out the Arts forum for my dope ish...yall know how i does

*hugs IsabellaLinton, TwilightPrincess, babybird, blitzkrieg, Rebel and funeral...if i left you out...you get a hug too*

my reflection

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 3:26 pm

You don't have to leave. The video was funny.
I'm just not sure how it fit with this topic.

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 3:37 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
You don't have to leave. The video was funny.
I'm just not sure how it fit with this topic.

you're awesome!...no, it has nothing to do with this thread...more to do with my personal life and psyche...sorry for clogging up this thread

my reflection

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 10:14 pm

ocean wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
^ What’s your point?

nevermind...i shouldnt be posting on this site...its just not good for me...farewell...but be sure to check out the Arts forum for my dope ish...yall know how i does

*hugs IsabellaLinton, TwilightPrincess, babybird, blitzkrieg, Rebel and funeral...if i left you out...you get a hug too*

*hugs* for you too, ocean.

If you do take a break from WP, I wish you well! :)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 10:23 pm

Farewell, and thanks again for your supportive messages, Ocean.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 2:57 am

I am sure he's a Russian man.
:lol:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 5:04 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I am sure he's a Russian man.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2024, 5:28 am

The fact that guys will see a meme about women being assaulted, and respond with a meme about how mean or annoying women are, is exactly why women choose the bear. If a woman runs away from a bear or expresses fear of bears, the bear doesn't go around on social media telling everyone how awful women are, growling about "not all bears", or how unfair it is that their species gets unfairly judged just cos SOME bears maul and kill people...