Page 2546 of 2564 [ 41013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2543, 2544, 2545, 2546, 2547, 2548, 2549 ... 2564  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 3:06 pm

isn't this ms. buzan in the box when she was an infant?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 3:15 pm

auntblabby wrote:
isn't this ms. buzan in the box when she was an infant?

You are correct, that's a photo from the article that started the misunderstanding. That's a portable version of the incubated crib.

She wasn't raised in her crib anymore than other children were raised in their cribs. The main difference is hers was incubated so she didn't need to be swaddled.

In her own words:

Quote:
My father's intentions were simple, and based on removing what he and my mother saw as the worst aspects of a baby's typical sleeping arrangements: clothes, sheets and blankets. These not only have to be washed, but they restrict arm and leg movement and are a highly imperfect method of keeping a baby comfortable. My mother was happy. She had to give me fewer baths and of course had fewer clothes and blankets to wash, so allowing her more time to enjoy her baby.I was very happy, too, though I must report at this stage that I remember nothing of those first two and a half years. I am told that I never once objected to being put back inside. I had a clear view through the glass front and, instead of being semi-swaddled and covered with blankets, I luxuriated semi-naked in warm, humidified air. The air was filtered but not germ-free, and when the glass front was lowered into place, the noise from me and from my parents and sister was dampened, not silenced.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 3:38 pm

as an infant myself, i don't know how well i would have liked being behind glass like that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 3:50 pm

It sounds like you've been influenced by accounts from Lauren Slater's slanderous book and would rather remain influenced by those account rather than by Deborah Buzan's own easily located accounts of her childhood.

If the person in question isn't stating any negative recollections of the experience it's unlikely some hack writer who never even interviewed her has better insight into her childhood. Slater wrote a fictionalized take on the story, largely drawing on baseless rumours and gave the impression that Buzan wasn't able to be reached, leaving readers to draw the conclusion that she may indeed have killed herself or suffered a breakdown.

If my choice of sources are a fictionalized account from someone who's known to exaggerate or multiple interviews with the actual person in question, I'm probably going to trust the actual person in question over the person writing with the intention of entertaining and shocking her audience.

Dr. Julie S. Vargas on the origins of her sister's air crib:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 3:57 pm

i have claustrophobia.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 4:07 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i have claustrophobia.

It might not be an ideal solution for your needs, but that's far from an argument that it's abusive or otherwise problematic for a typical infant, which Mrs. Buzan was.

I'm disputing the narrative of whether or not she was raised in a Skinner box, not whether or not any of us would enjoy sleeping in one as an adult.

She wasn't raised in a Skinner box and contrary to popular urban legends didn't go crazy or kill herself (in particular at a bowling alley in Montana) as is often alleged. Her air crib lacked the features that define a device as an operant conditioning chamber.

To answer your initial question, she grew up to be an artist but also wasn't raised in a Skinner box in the first place.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 4:08 pm

i understand.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 7:59 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
.... and then went to work and saved a teenaged girl from a man with a knife.

... What's going on there... :skull: ?

He's a pub manager. Some 50-year old drunk ahole was ogling and grabbing the 17-year old hostess. She radioed him for help because he's her manager. The dude ended up pulling a knife on the girl and another manager, cutting the other manager.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 8:45 pm

a chuck norris on the scene sure would be helpful in cases like that. or a taser.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 8:49 pm

Some MMA-type guys who were there took the ahole down Ju-Jitsu style.

He had also been shouting lewd comments about the female bartender's ass.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 8:50 pm

hope he went to jail.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 8:52 pm

My son got fired.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 9:13 pm

that tells me that the establishment was run by cretins who were ready to throw one of their employees to the wolves.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 9:18 pm

He handled it really well but when the guy wouldn't stop he swore at him.

Apparently that's a no-no when employees are being threatened.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 9:19 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My son got fired.

He needs to lawyer up. It's unlikely their cause will stick.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 9:22 pm

I know right.

They also said it was because he was 30 minutes late for his shift after finding my mother outside on concrete with a broken hip. She had been there for hours bleeding and in shock. He called the ambulance for her and was 30 mins late for work.

That was a bigger no-no.

When he called police / emergency at the pub they even said "Didn't we just talk to you about your grandmother?"

My mother might not survive the surgery which is tomorrow.
She needs a total hip replacement.
He was in PTSD mode after what he'd just witnessed.