Warning: Superman costume does not enable flight.

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2024, 2:08 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I remember our teacher announcing one day that we "recommend that you stop watching the Three Stooges on TV" because it encouraged little kids to ...hit each other over the head with hammers and what not.

Good job I never saw it. As a very young kid, I enjoyed punch-ups on TV and saw that nobody really got hurt. Believing it, I hid behind a wall and socked the first kid who passed by. He ran away crying. I was really disappointed, I thought he'd join in and we'd have great fun. I never did it again.

My friend saw a cowboy film in which somebody whacked somebody else over the head with the handle of a pistol. He tried it on his dad using his toy gun. He got a good pasting for that.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2024, 4:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
During my early childhood in the early Sixties a lot of the content of children's TV was Hollywood comedy from the 1930s. Like the Our Gang comedies, and the Three Stooges.

I remember our teacher announcing one day that we "recommend that you stop watching the Three Stooges on TV" because it encouraged little kids to ...hit each other over the head with hammers and what not. Dangerous stuff. So I complied - I guess they sent messages to our parents too...and I stopped watching them. And that was probably smart of the public school system to do that.

OTOH, I remember it being a thing for kids to imitate what they saw on what was then the WWF in their backyards with no consideration for making any of the stunts appropriate to untrained kids.

So, probably not as dumb as it might seem to suggest that kids not watch it. Then again back in the '60s, it was far less common to have kids completely unsupervised without a bunch of other kids around.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 May 2024, 12:47 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Didnt Phil Collins do a serious song about that?

"Sue, sue, sue ee ya!"

Maybe it just sounds like that what he is singing. Like Paul McCartney sounds like he is singing "my great, my great, my great Dane". (or my great migraine?).
Your thinking of his song Sussudio. He's describing having a crush on a girl. Great song like most of his are :arrow:
There's a girl that's been on my mind
All the time, Sus-Sussudio, oh-oh
Now she don't even know my name
But I think she likes me just the same, Sus-Sussudio, whoa-oh

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 1:55 pm

^
I know.
I was joking.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2024, 1:34 pm

Superman doesn't even need his costume to fly. He could fly around as Clark Kent if he wanted to.

But if you wear a Superman costume, because it's Halloween or you're cosplaying at a comic book convention, you can be expected to hear people tell you for hours why you and Superman suck and why Batman is the cool superhero. :roll:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2024, 1:54 pm

I prefer Wonder Warthog

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2024, 1:57 pm

An emotionally healthy superhero just doesn't have enough Batangst to appeal to my edgelord sensibilities.

Also, Soup got beat-up by Popeye. :nerdy:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2024, 6:10 pm

I believe it.

Spinach is mightier than Kryptonite.