Why are people so crazy about guns?

Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 4:36 pm

Amity wrote:
So to clarify, are we are talking specifically about American gun owners?

Where else

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 7:41 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I don't think anyone has ever tried to confiscate any guns from any current gun owners. I have only seen people talking about wanting stricter gun laws for who can own a gun and I think anyone who feels threatened by it are the ones guilty or else they wouldn't feel threatened.

This....isn't a thing that makes sense. How is this an argument? "I think the only reason you don't want gun control to be this strict is that you would be excluded from owning a gun if it was". And "guilty" of what, exactly? Guilty of wanting to own guns? And you do realize most criminals don't exactly care about firearms laws, right?

As for confiscation, I've seen it happen. In the wake of the Utöya massacre, the police just quietly decided that Mini-14s are now illegal with no actual legal justification, and launched a forced buyback program with threat of confiscation unless complying.

Quote:
In fact it's only the right wing I have seen mentioning about their gun rights trying to be stripped away and how liberals want to out law guns and that is all a straw man there.

...And you've somehow missed the other side saying they want to do exactly that?

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/im- ... ina-rally/

Quote:
People use guns to hunt with. I am pretty sure there are liberal hunters too.

Yes, and if we are to be precise in our terminology, it's the Republicans that are liberal when it comes to guns.
I'm considering getting a new gun for hunting. It looks like this:

There's a very real chance I'll get my application denied. Not because I'm not qualified and perfectly suitable to own it. Not because it has any capabilities beyond what is reasonable in a hunting weapon. no, it's because it doesn't look like a gun from 80 years ago, and is therefore modern, scary and militaristic.

The point of gun control is to keep guns from going in the wrong hands of people. So far, the only gun control we have are people are not allowed to own fire arm who have been hospitalized, have been suicidal and have a history of violence.

If you keep your guns locked up, are a responsible gun owner, are stable enough to own one, why would you feel threatened for gun control? What I mean by guilty is people who are irresponsible and unstable and are prone to just killing people in rage. I mean they seem to be telling me they are unstable to own a gun by feeling threatened about gun control laws and going in a tirade about it.

We already have laws about guns must be locked away when not in use. That is also some form of gun control.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 9:50 pm

League_Girl wrote:
What I mean by guilty is people who are irresponsible and unstable and are prone to just killing people in rage. I mean they seem to be telling me they are unstable to own a gun by feeling threatened about gun control laws and going in a tirade about it.

You have a republican governor who thinks its perfectly fine for homeowners to threaten to unload their automatic weapons on protesting college students

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 10:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
What I mean by guilty is people who are irresponsible and unstable and are prone to just killing people in rage. I mean they seem to be telling me they are unstable to own a gun by feeling threatened about gun control laws and going in a tirade about it.

You have a republican governor who thinks its perfectly fine for homeowners to threaten to unload their automatic weapons on protesting college students

And I guess those are the people who will feel threatened by gun laws because they want to threaten people with their guns. Hence guilty.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 2:31 am

I think somebody mentioned its a tradition to be able to own guns. Its like coming of age ceremony...ok son...your a man now...here's your AR-15...go have fun...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 3:06 am

The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights, the “right to bear arms,” is seen as being a fundamental right—like the First Amendment, the “right to freedom of speech, of the press, etc” is.

The problem is of common sense. We don’t need AK47s to defend ourselves within a civilian environment. In general. unlike in 1790, regular citizens are not members of militias.

Kids don’t receive assault weapons as a “rite of passage.” They might receive a rifle in rural-type areas. Not in urban areas. And kids are lectured about gun safety and responsible gun ownership from a very early age.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 4:26 am

League_Girl wrote:
The point of gun control is to keep guns from going in the wrong hands of people. So far, the only gun control we have are people are not allowed to own fire arm who have been hospitalized, have been suicidal and have a history of violence.

I'm fine with that, so why do you need more control? How many lives have been saved by the 10-round limit on handgun magazines, the prohibition on muzzle brakes and the crackdown on rifles with standalone pistol grips?
These are the sort of incremental infringements that keep being passed by people with no idea about guns in order to appease other people with no idea about guns at the expense of people who own and do have an idea about guns.

Quote:
If you keep your guns locked up, are a responsible gun owner, are stable enough to own one, why would you feel threatened for gun control? What I mean by guilty is people who are irresponsible and unstable and are prone to just killing people in rage. I mean they seem to be telling me they are unstable to own a gun by feeling threatened about gun control laws and going in a tirade about it.

Well, that's a nice Kafka trap you have there. "If you are upset that I'm going to take your guns, you demonstrate that you're unfit to have your guns". You are targetting and threatening something that people are passionate about, and then using their upset feelings as "proof" of your point.

Quote:
We already have laws about guns must be locked away when not in use. That is also some form of gun control.

Great. But why is "we already have gun control" an argument for "we need more gun control"?

kraftiekortie wrote:
The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights, the “right to bear arms,” is seen as being a fundamental right—like the First Amendment, the “right to freedom of speech, of the press, etc” is.

The problem is of common sense. We don’t need AK47s to defend ourselves within a civilian environment. In general. unlike in 1790, regular citizens are not members of militias.

First off, why do you think that should be up to you? Second:

Wiki-article on the 1992 Los Angeles Riots wrote:
As the riots spread, roads between Koreatown and wealthy White neighborhoods were blocked off by police and official defense lines were set up around the independent cities such as Beverly Hills and West Hollywood.[87] A Korean-American resident later told reporters: "It was containment. The police cut off traffic out of Koreatown, while we were trapped on the other side without help. Those roads are a gateway to a richer neighborhood. It can't be denied."[88] Koreans also said that emergency responders ignored their calls for help.[89]

The lack of law enforcement forced Koreatown civilians to organize their own armed security teams, mainly composed of store owners, to defend their businesses from rioters.[90] Many had military experience from serving in the Republic of Korea Armed Forces before emigrating to the United States.[91] Open gun battles were televised, including an incident in which Korean shopkeepers armed with M1 carbines, Ruger Mini-14s, pump-action shotguns, and handguns exchanged gunfire with a group of armed looters, and forced their retreat.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 4:49 am

I'm wondering why bombs don't also get legalised. The right to blow stuff up should be an inalienable right.

Also the right to burn stuff - I have lots of refuse/garbage to dispose off......

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 6:40 am

I understand you like guns, Wolfram. I think some guns are cool. Others are not.

I’m just stating my opinion that kids shouldn’t be given AK47s. Yeah....it’s up to me whether or not I give my kid an AK47. And I believe they should be illegal for civilians.

It’s my right to believe in gun control. It’s your right to justify guns.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 6:48 am

I fully agree that kids shouldn't be given AK-47's. That's not what I commented on. You said:

Quote:
We don’t need AK47s to defend ourselves within a civilian environment. In general. unlike in 1790, regular citizens are not members of militias.

by which you clearly meant that because you don't think it's needed, it should be illegal. And I provided an instance wherein, in recent history, the situation devolved so badly that it was up to the individual citizens to fend for themselves, with no help from government law enforcement, using with whatever was at hand. And fortunately, whatever was at hand were guns.

Quote:
And I believe they should be illegal for civilians.

Pop quiz: Which of these is an AK-47?

Follow-up: which of these is a a military rifle?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Well, that's a nice Kafka trap you have there. "If you are upset that I'm going to take your guns, you demonstrate that you're unfit to have your guns". You are targetting and threatening something that people are passionate about, and then using their upset feelings as "proof" of your point.

That is because there is no reason to be upset if they are responsible gun owners. It's obvious this is only targeted at stupid people with guns so why even take offense?

BTW that video you showed, he was only talking about taking away two different guns, not all of them. How misleading. I was expecting the talk about " let's take away all guns and ban all the guns in America." I must ask why must people find it so important to own AK rifles or AR. Aren't hunting guns good enough?

This happens in about every discussion, people express their opinion and others feel threatened or offended by it it thinking it applies to them.

My mom and I once had a discussion that once went like this:

Me: Most people compare stuff to Hitler

Mom: I disagree, I don't do that

Me: I never said you did

Her: You said most people

Me: yeah, and your point?

Her: But when you say most people, you mean me

Me: But you just said you don't do that so how do I mean you too?

Her: I am most people

Me: Then you are not most people then if you say you don't do it

Her: I am most people so you mean me when you say most people

Me: *thinking* no wonder most people are stupid and take offense to everything

And my mom was a nurse and had a college degree in nursing and she was this stupid. IQ means s**t if anyone can be dumb. We even have therapists who are HAES people.

You can talk about bad doctors, bad cyclists, bad customers, bad waiters, etc. and someone will still take offense thinking it applies to them so it makes me think they are one of those people.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 12:28 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
I fully agree that kids shouldn't be given AK-47's. That's not what I commented on. You said:

Quote:
We don’t need AK47s to defend ourselves within a civilian environment. In general. unlike in 1790, regular citizens are not members of militias.

by which you clearly meant that because you don't think it's needed, it should be illegal. And I provided an instance wherein, in recent history, the situation devolved so badly that it was up to the individual citizens to fend for themselves, with no help from government law enforcement, using with whatever was at hand. And fortunately, whatever was at hand were guns.

Quote:
And I believe they should be illegal for civilians.

Pop quiz: Which of these is an AK-47?

Follow-up: which of these is a a military rifle?

If I am understanding your argument correctly, you are concerned if this law were to pass to ban these AK rifles, you are worried ignorant officers would take your hunting rifles because they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a AK rifle and a hunting rifle?

Also how are they going to know you have guns? Are you worried someone will see your rifle and report it thinking it's a AK one and the police would be so ignorant about guns they take them thinking they are AK ones?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 12:51 pm

League_Girl wrote:
BTW that video you showed, he was only talking about taking away two different guns, not all of them. How misleading. I was expecting the talk about " let's take away all guns and ban all the guns in America." I must ask why must people find it so important to own AK rifles or AR. Aren't hunting guns good enough?

This is what I'm talking about when I mention people who don't know guns making the rules about guns, or in this case having opinions on guns. AR-15 and AKs are not individual guns. They are platforms. Using the car analogy from before, it's like saying "ban SUV's!" and then claiming "I was only talking about one car, the SUV!".

And what is a hunting gun? You realize people use AR-15s for hunting, right? The AR-15 is the most widely used platform in the US, so you're essentially saying "I'm not going to ban all your guns, just most of them.".

Quote:
That is because there is no reason to be upset if they are responsible gun owners. It's obvious this is only targeted at stupid people with guns so why even take offense?

So now everyone who owns an AR-15 is stupid? Because that is the logical conclusion of what you just said. And it's not about "taking offense", I couldn't care less about being offended. I care about needless infringing on rights motivated by ignorance and fear.

Quote:
This happens in about every discussion, people express their opinion and others feel threatened or offended by it it thinking it applies to them.

How about you stop imagining the feelings of people, and instead formulate your position clearly. No, it is not "obviously only targeted at stupid people". The law needs to apply equally to everyone, and it does not have a magic "detect stupidity" or "detect malice" functionality. If AR-15s get banned from civilian ownership, then it's banned from all civilians, even the smart ones.

Quote:
If I am understanding your argument correctly, you are concerned if this law were to pass to ban these AK rifles, you are worried ignorant officers would take your hunting rifles because they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a AK rifle and a hunting rifle?

No, I am making the point that the people so freely talking about banning the AR-15 and the AK-47 (a gun that is essentially an antique at this point), don't know the first thing about what they're trying to ban. They confuse clips and magazines, they don't know the difference between semi-automatic and fully automatic and they spout absolute nonsense with the obvious intent to stir up fear by any means they can. And if their arguments have no connection to reality, then they should be in no position to make decisions that have effects in reality.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 12:56 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
don't know the first thing about what they're trying to ban
You appear to be knowledgeable regarding guns. I know little to nothing about them. I'm not against them, just not interested. But I would like something banned -- I don't think any civilian needs a weapon that can fire off 30 rounds a second. Certainly not a weapon for hunting. So what is it exactly that I want to be banned?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 1:10 pm

Most handheld fully automatic rifles fire at about 10 rounds per second, and going too far above that makes the gun uncontrollable and impractical. The german MG-42 machine gun fired at 1200 rpm or about 20 rounds per second.
30 rounds per second would be insanely high, so I'm not actually sure what such a thing would be. But I presume you're talking about fully automatic rifles in general. In the US, that comes with a 200$ tax stamp on top of the already exorbitant price of a transferrable machine gun, background check and a whole bunch of extra hassle, so it's not like it's not controlled. And people tend to wildly overestimate the practical effectiveness of full auto.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 1:18 pm

fine -- let's go with 10 rounds per second. What practical use does a weapon like that have other than killing people, lots of people, rather quickly?